PDA

View Full Version : Warning: KGO-TV piece on guns tonite (SF Bay Area)...

bwiese
01-13-2011, 5:06 PM
Warning - KGO-TV piece on guns tonite @11PM news (greater SF Bay Area).

A producer (?) has been calling people to asking "share their viewpoints" on gun matters.

By the time I could return his message, the individual said "he'd heard from enough people."

There may be significant risk of entrapping individuals into "speaking for the NRA": nobody can speak for the NRA except those preapproved from Fairfax, VA (or I'd guess, possibly by the CA legal team). NOBODY WHO'S BEEN CALLED CAN SPEAK FOR THE NRA. I did warn the individual that scrutiny would be placed on the broadcast to see if such misrepresentation in fact does occur.

[The day Heller was handed down, a senior CA NRA person was asked to supply "an NRA member in camoflauge" or an "NRA dissenter" for an interview. Needless to say, the NRA individual certainly did not help further that idiocy.]

Given the recent news, expect bait & switch interview to "Why do you want to help baby killers?", or to feature poorly-dressed folks (cammies?) with limited verbal skills.

If you've been asked to be quoted or appear on camera for this matter - esp. given the likely nature of this 'reportage' - I'd think it's best just to cancel/not offer comment. [You may be badgered into, "What are you afraid of, why are you ashamed of your opinion?"] You will be doing this once, going against reporters that do this every day and who have a recipe book to 'spice things up'.

Nor-Cal
01-13-2011, 6:22 PM
I guess we will have to wait and watch and see what's on the gun segment tonight.

sfpcservice
01-13-2011, 6:28 PM
I think Bill is right about laymen going on camera. I have been interviewed a few times and it's very difficult to keep your train of thought when there is a camera pointed in your face, if you had a train of thought to begin with. This is best left to the folks with experience. All you have to do is make one slip and it's on replay for life. If this would be your first time on camera, I'd suggest skipping it!

Ford8N
01-13-2011, 6:58 PM
I can't stand the cammy or wife beater shirt dressed gun owner speaking for me. Especially when they give the old "cold dead hands" speech.

BigDogatPlay
01-13-2011, 7:10 PM
I think Bill is right about laymen going on camera.

I don't think... I know Bill is right. Same applies to print reporters as well. More than once in my career I was misquoted as the "department spokesperson".

trendar5
01-13-2011, 8:42 PM
These are the same reporters that say the "officer fired his service revolver" or "heavily armed officers arrived with automatic weapons."

N6ATF
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
http://friscotxrealestate.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/ricky-ricardo1.jpg
Wha' hoppen?

PEBKAC
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I missed this...anyone catch it?

P1X4R
01-14-2011, 12:46 AM
This one?

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=7897614

chrisw
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
^^^^^^

Adnon Shahab and Chuck Michel in that video....

They didn't seem to be quoted out of context or anything.

johnny_22
01-14-2011, 5:44 AM
The reporter concluded that we all agree that we need a stronger Federal law and not the patchwork laws state-to-state. I thought we agreed we just needed the present Federal law.

B Strong
01-14-2011, 5:50 AM
Good catch Bill.

I've been trying to educate people for years about the dangers involved with speaking to the media - it's not a whole lot different than speaking to police - anything you say will be held against you and selective editing is a anti-gun producers best friend.

Unless you're very well prepared, very well groomed, and ready to not fall for any of the common traps they set, you're better off not speaking with anyone from the media.

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 8:23 AM
Good catch Bill.

I've been trying to educate people for years about the dangers involved with speaking to the media - it's not a whole lot different than speaking to police - anything you say will be held against you and selective editing is a anti-gun producers best friend.

Unless you're very well prepared, very well groomed, and ready to not fall for any of the common traps they set, you're better off not speaking with anyone from the media.

The difference is that when you speak to police, you at least still have the opportunity to have a lawyer attempt to clean up your mess.

If you speak to the media, they have the final, ultimate say as to what you "really" said.

erik
01-14-2011, 10:52 AM
The reporter concluded that we all agree that we need a stronger Federal law and not the patchwork laws state-to-state. I thought we agreed we just needed the present Federal law.

I believed she said "more streamlined Federal legislation".

It's easier to streamline with less.. :laugh:

jdberger
01-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Not a bad story. A little too much weight on Colin Goddard - but not a bad story.

Interesting how far we've come in the last 10 years.