PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in Shotguns?

The Soup Nazi
08-13-2006, 6:19 PM
So with a rifle in the house and a pistol coming in very shortly, I thought that there should be some consideration put into a shotgun. I was thinking in the 12 gauge area suitable for both home defense and maybe trap shooting. Not very oriented in shotguns as I am with other firearms, was wondering what you would recommend. Not looking for the end all 1300 dollar uber semi automatic shotgun, just a pump action that has all the nice tacti-cool features. Something that can have a tactical light mounted, maybe a pistol grip, a nice side saddle, a sling, and a synthetic stock or one with a parkerized finish. (Hey, I'm usually a milsurp type of guy with rifles, but with a shotgun, the laws aren't as restrictive on the pump actions so I want something black and evil :) )

What length of barrel should I be looking for with the purposes being home defense and trapshooting (Any shotguns out there that are combos that come with more than one length of barrel), and what brand or exact models should I be looking for? (Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s come to mind)

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 6:25 PM
pistol coming in very shortly

I thought you weren't even close to being 18.

Go with a Mossberg 590 or Maverick, those are the most customizable.

Remington 870s are cheap and have lots of parts available.

Then theres the Winchester 1300/FN TPS which also have plenty of parts. The TPS is a little more expensive.

The Soup Nazi
08-13-2006, 6:25 PM
Yeah, my dad bought himself an M9. I'll get him to transfer it to me when I get older but he doesn't mind me putting rounds through his once it comes in.

M. Sage
08-13-2006, 6:26 PM
Hmm, first, Parkerized is for metal, not the stocks. Just wanted to point that out.

Trap shooting and home defense are probably going to use different barrels. For home-defense, you'll want the shortest barrel you can find and still be legal, really. For trap.. not so much.

For someone your size, and your dad's size, too, I would reccomend a 20 gauge. Not as powerful (a lot less recoil!), but more than enough to put an intruder down for the count. There are some that say 20 gauge's smaller buckshot - #3 or #4 - is too light for defense, but I've dropped whitetail deer in Michigan with it, and if it'll kill one of those, trust me, it'll stop a person.

I've never owned an 870 and haven't really sat down and shot one, but I can vouch for the Mossberg 500. I can also tell you that if you can get your hands on an Ithaca 37.. they are really great.

Then again, thinking about it, it's kinda hard to screw up a pump-action shotgun. They're all pretty good.

nosewitdot
08-13-2006, 6:32 PM
you can get M9's in cali? did he ppt it?

anotherted
08-13-2006, 6:36 PM
just get that $239 mossy 500 from big 5.
It satisfies all of your requirements.

oh wait.....

Have you ever shot a 12 guage (00 buck or slugs)? They do kick a helluvalot more than 7.62x39mm. Ive seen the pic you posted of yourself; no offence meant at all, but get a 20 guage; your a smaller guy.

You could also get the 500 and shoot reduced recoil 00, etc.

The Soup Nazi
08-13-2006, 6:37 PM
There were like 4 at the San Jose Gun Exchange (well, 3 now :rolleyes: ), not a PPT, just a straight up retail transaction like any other gun, and it was an M9, sure of it when the box says M9 and the serial number has M9 on it rather than Beretta 92FS. As far as I know it didn't fall of the list and I don't see it doing so since its such a popular pistol.

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 6:38 PM
Have you ever shot a 12 guage (00 buck or slugs)? They do kick a helluvalot more than 7.62x39mm. Ive seen the pic you posted of yourself; no offense meant at all, but get a 20 guage.

I don't know about you guys... but I love shootin high recoil guns. It hurts, but its fun for me anyways.... waiting for my double barrel. The backbored, 12gauge w/ m4 stock and 3" magnum slugs isn't enough recoil fun :p

Maybe I'll get to shoot the .577 Trex one day and I do want to shoot it.

nosewitdot
08-13-2006, 6:48 PM
There were like 4 at the San Jose Gun Exchange (well, 3 now :rolleyes: ), not a PPT, just a straight up retail transaction like any other gun, and it was an M9, sure of it when the box says M9 and the serial number has M9 on it rather than Beretta 92FS. As far as I know it didn't fall of the list and I don't see it doing so since its such a popular pistol.
ah yes, i found it on the list. silly me. Anywayz back on topic, i have an 870 wingmaster tacticool'd out....haha, though i have not had the chance to shoot it yet...its very pleasing to the eye.

gose
08-13-2006, 6:59 PM
Or get a nice gas operated semi-auto like a 1100 Tactical or a Benelli M4. No matter how small you are (havent seen the pic ;)) the recoil with either of these shouldn't bother you. The tactical is probably a better trap gun than the M4 while the M4 might be a better home defense gun.

The Soup Nazi
08-13-2006, 7:13 PM
just get that $239 mossy 500 from big 5.
It satisfies all of your requirements.

oh wait.....

Have you ever shot a 12 guage (00 buck or slugs)? They do kick a helluvalot more than 7.62x39mm. Ive seen the pic you posted of yourself; no offence meant at all, but get a 20 guage; your a smaller guy.

Well, after getting my shoulder pounded by 8mm and 7.62X54R, I think I can handle pretty much anything, plus my dad said that its good that I start on the heavy pounding stuff that way when I fire the lighter stuff it feels like nothing. Thats why he really didn't care for buying a .22 pistol.

nosewitdot
08-13-2006, 7:16 PM
usually...people's philosophy is the opposite...you may end up anticipating too much from a smaller round and miss.

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 7:37 PM
Well, after getting my shoulder pounded by 8mm and 7.62X54R, I think I can handle pretty much anything, plus my dad said that its good that I start on the heavy pounding stuff that way when I fire the lighter stuff it feels like nothing. Thats why he really didn't care for buying a .22 pistol.

I'll let you shoot my FN TPS with 3" magnum slugs :D I'll bring a camera.... show you what recoil is :D

blkA4alb
08-13-2006, 7:42 PM
Get the Mossberg 500 at Big5 with the 18" and 28" barrel. When the Mossberg is at home its got a top folding stock,forward PG, shot shell holder, and forward pistol grip. Then I just convert it to the standard stock, barrel, and foregrip and go shoot trap. And no, 7.62X54R and 3" magnum slugs are not the same.

CalNRA
08-13-2006, 7:48 PM
the Mossberg 500 combo is a great choice for a first shotgun, cheap, versatile and low maintainence. I have shot my dad's 870 and my uncle's 1300 and the difference in andling is minimal to me. I'm not a snob so maybe I'm just not picking up the subtle differences...

my ownly compalint about it is that the magazine tube is ALMOST long enough for 6 rounds of 2 3/4 shells, but barely too short. I mean just barely too short. I don't get it, if they made the tube 3-4 mm longer you got yourself a 7-shot shotty.

Other than that it's a fun gun to shoot and doesn't break the bank.

and no, the 8mm is not the same as a full power slug, by a long shot.

My suggestion is too eat more and gain more sectional density.

Mudvayne540ld
08-13-2006, 7:53 PM
I went with the 870. Was looking at the 500, but the 870 was on sale at Big 5, and I thought what the hell. Havent had a problem with it. I know have the Knoxx stock on it, which makes slugs actually fun for me.

anotherted
08-13-2006, 7:58 PM
Well, after getting my shoulder pounded by 8mm and 7.62X54R, I think I can handle pretty much anything,

Its a whole 'nother flavor of recoil, trust me:D

anotherted
08-13-2006, 8:00 PM
Or get a nice gas operated semi-auto like a 1100 Tactical or a Benelli M4. No matter how small you are (havent seen the pic ;)) the recoil with either of these shouldn't bother you. The tactical is probably a better trap gun than the M4 while the M4 might be a better home defense gun.

M3!! M3!! M3!!!

If your going to spend that kind of $$$$, get the M3 convertible. I want one of these SO BAD!

M. Sage
08-13-2006, 9:27 PM
Get the Mossberg 500 at Big5 with the 18" and 28" barrel. When the Mossberg is at home its got a top folding stock,forward PG, shot shell holder, and forward pistol grip. Then I just convert it to the standard stock, barrel, and foregrip and go shoot trap. And no, 7.62X54R and 3" magnum slugs are not the same.

Lol, not even close. There's a reason I don't think the Mosin or Mauser kick very much. The Mosin is the first real rifle I've ever had. Before it was all shotgunning, mostly for deer, so buckshot and slugs for me.

Makes me wish I'd kept my Mossberg 835. We could watch Soup fly. :P

ivanimal
08-13-2006, 9:32 PM
Give me a call Soup I have 9 shotguns you can try out. Plus I just bought an 8MM overunder. You know how I like the oddball stuff.

BPA
08-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Its a whole 'nother flavor of recoil, trust me:D

Ya the 54r isnt even close to a 3inch magnum slug but then again it isnt that bad eather . If u can handle the 54, u can handle the 2 3/4 shells. Get a 12 gauge combo.

ohsmily
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
M3!! M3!! M3!!!

If your going to spend that kind of $$$$, get the M3 convertible. I want one of these SO BAD!

Gawd, enough with the M3...

The M3 is so gimmicky. The only people who have any good reason to buy the M3 are cops who are shooting specialty rounds that won't cycle the semi-auto action, e.g. bean-bag rounds, rubber rounds, etc.

The M3 is NOT like the SPAS-12. You have to click it over to pump by turning a plastic ring, and I believe that you have to do it on every shot. It isn't fully "convertible"...If you want a Benelli, get the M1.

norbs007
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
I would suggest a Benelli Supernova Tactical. They have a pistol grip model if you got to have a pistol grip. A little heavy but it will shoot any 12 gauge shell you feed it.

rorschach
08-13-2006, 11:28 PM

The M3 is so gimmicky. The only people who have any good reason to buy the M3 are cops who are shooting specialty rounds that won't cycle the semi-auto action, e.g. bean-bag rounds, rubber rounds, etc.

The M3 is NOT like the SPAS-12. You have to click it over to pump by turning a plastic ring, and I believe that you have to do it on every shot. It isn't fully "convertible"...If you want a Benelli, get the M1.

+1

If you want a semi, get an M1.

If you want a pump, get an 870. It just may be the last shotgun you buy, and will prolly outlive your children. You can build it from mild to wild, parts are plentiful, and barrels swap out in seconds. Mesa Tactical, who sometimes posts here, makes some great stuff for 870's, so does Scattergun Tech/Wilson. 870 is my go-to shotgun, I have one at work and near the bed.

I dont care for Mossbergs, I know they're good shotguns, but they just feel tinny in my hands. I do like the old Ithaca M37 though. I have a raggedy old M37 police with no disconnector- hold the trigger and pump away. In trained hands it can pop off all 5 rounds of 00 or slugs just as fast as any Benelli. My circa 1915 Winchester M12 does the same, but I try not to shoot heavy loads in that old beast.

anotherted
08-14-2006, 6:24 AM

Damn bubble burster. heh.

I shot one at the range the other day and really liked it. Thats my "good reason".

Oh and your wrong about it not being fully "convertible". You can change to manual for as many shots as you prefer; you switch to semi-auto for as long as you prefer. Here, read for yourself -- click on the link, go to support/owners manuals and choose M3 super 90 (P.37 of the manual I believe) http://www.benelli.it/index.asp?Lan=EN. Dont rip on something until you have tried it for yourself or at the very least read a little about it.

JPN6336
08-14-2006, 7:52 AM
As far as handling a 12 gauge goes, for some reason everyone is talking about 3" slugs. I can't remember reading that he plans on shooting 3" slugs. I know that birdshot isn't buck or slug, but my girlfriend who is 5'4" 115 lbs. shot 2 rounds of 5 stand trap yesterday (50 shots total) with minimal discomfort. That was out of a Remington 870 express with a 26" barrel. We'll see in a couple weeks how she handles buck and slug when my Supernova Tactical is finally in my hands. If recoil is an issue, I've heard that the comfort Tech stocks on the non-pistol grip Benelli Supernovas really reduce recoil and muzzle climb.

anotherted
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
There is a difference between 00 and birdshot.

bonjing
08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
can't go wrong with a good old remington 870 and, or the mossberg 500 or 590. get a 12ga, there are always light recoil loads that you can play with, hell the shotgun can even be fired one handed with slug :eek: