PDA

View Full Version : California and NFA items

IrishPirate
01-13-2011, 4:31 PM
It's my understanding that some, but not most NFA items are legally here in the PRK. I'm wondering if there is some way to find out which ones exactly besides combing through the PC? Also, if any of the NFA items really are CA legal, what process would you have to go through to get them, and if you were denied the ability to buy somthing by the DOJ/ATF/whoever, would it be ok or smart to bring a lawsuit against the agency or state for infringing on your 2A rights????????

Some Guy
01-13-2011, 4:42 PM
You can get an AOW, do a search for Serbu shorty.

6172crew
01-13-2011, 5:41 PM
It's my understanding that some, but not most NFA items are legally here in the PRK. I'm wondering if there is some way to find out which ones exactly besides combing through the PC? Also, if any of the NFA items really are CA legal, what process would you have to go through to get them, and if you were denied the ability to buy somthing by the DOJ/ATF/whoever, would it be ok or smart to bring a lawsuit against the agency or state for infringing on your 2A rights????????

I legally own 6 NFA items but they are kept in NV...I'm just waiting for the guys to ask me and I'm down to fight the NFA ban here in CA.

3 can, 2 MGs, and a SBR need to be here with me.

ke6guj
01-13-2011, 5:43 PM
you can have an AOW (but no AOW pen guns), C&R SBS/SBR (that don't otherwise violate the AW laws) and you can have Destructive Devices that are .60" or less, without needing a CADOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit.

If you did have that DW permit, you could have MGs and modern SBS/SBR.

there is no permit process to get a suppressor in CA. LEA/.mil and NFA dealers/manufacturers only.

IrishPirate
01-13-2011, 5:51 PM
OK...that clears things up a bit.....so if i applied for a DW permit and i were denied, or i wanted to buy a C&R SBS and were denied the proper docs for getting one.......what kind of lawsuit would I bring if i thought it violated my 2A rights, and who would I actually sue????

6172crew
01-14-2011, 8:03 PM
OK...that clears things up a bit.....so if i applied for a DW permit and i were denied, or i wanted to buy a C&R SBS and were denied the proper docs for getting one.......what kind of lawsuit would I bring if i thought it violated my 2A rights, and who would I actually sue????

I think its a timing issue, we are waiting to clear a path to NFA in CA.

IrishPirate
01-14-2011, 8:42 PM
I'm not interested in getting myself into a court room anytime soon....guess a better question to ask would be if getting denied a DW or C&R SBS would be grounds for the kind of law suit that we need to win the right for everyone in CA to have them.

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 9:59 PM
I'm not interested in getting myself into a court room anytime soon....guess a better question to ask would be if getting denied a DWwe already have DW denials for AWs, and nothing has been done yet. So, we already have the grounds laid out, just waiting for the trigger to be pulled.

or C&R SBS would be grounds for the kind of law suit that we need to win the right for everyone in CA to have them.why don't you find a C&R SBS and see if you can get it transfered before you assume that they will deny the transfer.

jpigeon
01-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Dont hold your breathe guys. LOL

6172crew
01-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Dont hold your breathe guys. LOL

I don't see any reason why my legally owned firearms wont be able to kept in this state...one day.

I paid a tax for the transfer and did the whole FBI background, finger print, LE sign off...

bigstick61
01-15-2011, 2:34 AM
Whatever happened to NFA weapon owners who owned weapons at the time the laws were passed requiring a DWP or prohibiting them outright (like penguns or suppressors)? Was there any grandfathering or issuing of permits like when the .50 BMG rifle ban was passed?

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 2:39 AM
I think that will be a bad idea. That will be like another mountain to climb on our road to get rid of the AW ban/registration/regulation. The "ban" as it stands now, will be much harder to beat, should the DOJ start to issue "permits"

Once they start to issue permits, we cannot claim they are violating our rights. The state can deny any person for what ever reason. More over they can have a yearly renewal fee, and stipulations that if a person fails to renew they are illegally possessing an AW and automatically barred from owning for life..

In 1930's that is how they started with the FA's, in 1930's $200 was a big deal. What will stop the DOJ from implementing $200 yearly as renewal fee for an AW??

I think you have it backwards.

Consider 12050 permits and Chicago's reregistration requirements, for example.

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 3:08 AM
If the state is sued and made to issue AW (regular semi-auto AR15 for instance) permits, what stops them from mandating an annual renewal? Even the Second Amendment to the US Constitution does not protect regulation/registration.

Getting rid of the AW is a prerequisite on our road leading to NFA's.

You ignored what I said, or simply misunderstood. Unfortunately, this is where I say that further discussion is imprudent.

IrishPirate
01-15-2011, 9:57 AM
we already have DW denials for AWs, and nothing has been done yet. So, we already have the grounds laid out, just waiting for the trigger to be pulled.[QUOTE/]

that's good to know. As long as things have already been started, I'll just keep out of the way :D

[QUOTE]why don't you find a C&R SBS and see if you can get it transfered before you assume that they will deny the transfer.

I've been looking but can't find anything that I would be able to afford. Is it any easier if you have your 03FFL??

Quiet
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Whatever happened to NFA weapon owners who owned weapons at the time the laws were passed requiring a DWP or prohibiting them outright (like penguns or suppressors)? Was there any grandfathering or issuing of permits like when the .50 BMG rifle ban was passed?

They had to get DW permits and pay the annual fees, in order to keep owning them in CA.
NFA owners have to abide both Federal and state regulations.
DW permit requirement started in the mid-1970s.

ke6guj
01-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been looking but can't find anything that I would be able to afford. Is it any easier if you have your 03FFL??

the only thing an 03FFL would really help you with would be to allow you to have a C&R SBS shipped directly to your home, no local SOT needed for the transfer. but, in order to do it that way, you would need to ahve CLEO sign-off, you couldn't do it via a trust..

motorhead
01-15-2011, 12:07 PM
what was the line, "challenging NFA now would be like asking a girl for anal on the first date". i always thought that stated the case fairly well.

IrishPirate
01-15-2011, 1:30 PM
the only thing an 03FFL would really help you with would be to allow you to have a C&R SBS shipped directly to your home, no local SOT needed for the transfer. but, in order to do it that way, you would need to ahve CLEO sign-off, you couldn't do it via a trust..

copy that....thanks :D