PDA

View Full Version : What optic?

glockk9mm
08-13-2006, 4:45 PM
I am looking into getting an optic for my california bushmaster carbon-15. What do you guys recomend? I am looking for an optic mainly for target shooting at about 100yrds and mabe varmint hunting, I know it's not as accurate as other AR-15's but for now I have to settle for this. Do you guys recomend red dot optics, or regular rifle scopes? What do you guys think I should get?

blkA4alb
08-13-2006, 4:51 PM
Something in the 3-9 range would be good for you. Essentially every company makes a 3-9 so it just depends on how much you want to spend. You could also make do with a red dot as well.

xenophobe
08-13-2006, 4:53 PM
Well, red dots/holograhpic sights are not the best for varmit shooting. Out past 100 yards, and you won't see much of the varmit, unless it's a coyote, bobcat or rabbit. For just squirrels, you'd want a scope. Preferrably a 3-9 or 4.5-10, and that would be just fine for target shooting too. For tactical competition or SHTF, red dot sights are fine, because it is not critical shot placement, but critical shot location that is more important, so the slight accuracy loss using an Aimpoint, EOTech, ACOG, or whatever is no big deal compared to the quick aquisition that these devices offer.

maxiss
08-13-2006, 4:56 PM
I like the Eotech 512 as for the reddot type and the Super Sniper 10X for scope.. This may be a bit large but its on my Rem 700 and i love it!

this first link is fir the 511 not the 512....I counld not find a link for 512
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6672-623-eotech-510-tactical-holosight.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

mr2.0
08-13-2006, 9:32 PM
+1 for super sniper scope, I got the 10x42M and couldn't be happier. Good optic at great price.

thmpr
08-13-2006, 9:52 PM
Why would you assume the Carbon 15 is not an accurate rifle?

glockk9mm
08-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Why would you assume the Carbon 15 is not an accurate rifle?

I didn't mean it as a non accurate rifle at all, but compared to other ones out there and some oll builds i think this is just an average rifle, I have seen some AR's get accurate shots up to 400yrds+. I know the carbon-15 is not configured to put out those type of shots. I havent tried it yet at that distance, but I may be wrong. Mabe someone here can tell us the longest shot they've taken with the carbon-15 and it's accuracy.

50 Freak
08-14-2006, 6:23 AM
A friend of mine has a Professional Ord Carbon 15. Claims of all his AR's (Colts, Bushy and etc). The Pro Ord is the most accurate with match grade ammo. Says 1MOA are standard with his Pro Ord.

denalion22
08-14-2006, 7:50 AM
I use an ACOG and it works Perfectly, TA01 NSN

Tzvia
08-14-2006, 8:55 AM
A good 3-9 scope would work well, don't skimp; it does not have to be an expensive scope to be good, however. While I do not have the bucks at the moment myself (priorities-picked up 9 oll's instead), I did find a sale at a local shop on the vx-1 Leupold at $180. Yea, it's a basic scope, but it is well made, bright and sharp. I didn't want to skimp on the all important rings, so found some Warne High Tactical rings for $80 at MidSouth Shooters Supply online. I built up a varmint rifle and it works well with it. So I am now saving the bucks to get something better as I shoot with the vx-1.

I do have a Carbon 15 myself, I find it has decent plinking accuracy with a 4x IOR scope. It's fine for punching paper, but even at 100 yards, it's not in the 'varmint' accuracy range. I get 2~2 1/2 inch groups. My varminter puts them in well under an inch if I do my part (with good ammo) and 1 inch groups with blasting ammo like Federal Eagle. While I have hit the metal plates at 400 yards with the Carbon 15, those plates are much bigger than a ground squirrel.

m1371
08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I am looking into getting an optic for my california bushmaster carbon-15. What do you guys recomend? I am looking for an optic mainly for target shooting at about 100yrds and mabe varmint hunting, I know it's not as accurate as other AR-15's but for now I have to settle for this. Do you guys recomend red dot optics, or regular rifle scopes? What do you guys think I should get?

I wouldn't recommend a red-dot type optic for what you're wanting to do.

The EOTech works well out to 200yds or so on man-sized targets, but since it's not magnified it wouldn't be the best choice for going after varmints.

Whatever piece of glass you decide to go with, don't cheap out. Note that there is a difference between getting a smokin' deal and being a cheapskate.