PDA

View Full Version : What is REALLY wrong with this board

megavolt121
08-12-2006, 11:45 PM
We have people who complain about the word filters, no for sale forums, etc.. but I'll tell you what's REALLY wrong with Calguns.net...

It is the MEMBERS. Yes you read that right. It is the mentality of the members. People here have a serious PROBLEM not flaming each other or imposing their own opnions.

Case in point: I posted this thread about removing a front detent pin (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38336): As of 8/12/2006 @ 11:44 PM Pacific there are 18 posts. Here is a breakdown.
-5 posts from me asking the question/follow up
-5 posts that are totally USELESS to answer my question (see above problem) telling me to buy a new LPK.
-8 posts from people helping. Of those half of those posts are people following up.
Essentially of all the unique responses I had, 55% of them were people voicing useless opinions.

Seriously, would it have been that hard for some of you to just STFU with your own opinons and just answer a question without the useless comments? I know many of you hate going to AR15.com because people keep saying the "move out of CA" BS, but I don't see how you guys are being any better.

And no, I'm not just pissed you guys did this to me or whatever you maybe thinking. I remember a few other threads where people were just being flamed and half the comments never solved the problem so this isn't just you guys picking on me. What happened to being a useful resourse for California gun owners? Sure we can have some debates, we can even have tinfoil hats, but when you guys start bashing each other, that's when this board eats itself up.

P.S. For those of you who honestly tried to help me, I'm not referring to you.

SemiAutoSam
08-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I did my best to assist you Im sorry if it came off as anything but that.

GTKrockeTT
08-12-2006, 11:58 PM
sounds like the "MEMBERS" did a pretty solid job of giving you advice. sorry, but i just don't see how anyone was flaming you. like you said, some gave you solid advice, others wanted to ask you why you needed to remove the pin. others mentioned that it would probably be a good idea to just go ahead and buy another LPK, which you readily admitted to considering.

For those of you suggesting a new LPK, yes I've thought of that, but I don't really care to have two built up lowers right now.

that said, i really don't see in your referenced thread how anyone was flaming or imposing their opinion.

ivanimal
08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
We have people who complain about the word filters, no for sale forums, etc.. but I'll tell you what's REALLY wrong with Calguns.net...

It is the MEMBERS. Yes you read that right. It is the mentality of the members. People here have a serious PROBLEM not flaming each other or imposing their own opnions.

Case in point: I posted this thread about removing a front detent pin (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38336): As of 8/12/2006 @ 11:44 PM Pacific there are 18 posts. Here is a breakdown.
-5 posts from me asking the question/follow up
-5 posts that are totally USELESS to answer my question (see above problem) telling me to buy a new LPK.
-8 posts from people helping. Of those half of those posts are people following up.
Essentially of all the unique responses I had, 55% of them were people voicing useless opinions.

Seriously, would it have been that hard for some of you to just STFU with your own opinons and just answer a question without the useless comments? I know many of you hate going to AR15.com because people keep saying the "move out of CA" BS, but I don't see how you guys are being any better.

And no, I'm not just pissed you guys did this to me or whatever you maybe thinking. I remember a few other threads where people were just being flamed and half the comments never solved the problem so this isn't just you guys picking on me. What happened to being a useful resourse for California gun owners? Sure we can have some debates, we can even have tinfoil hats, but when you guys start bashing each other, that's when this board eats itself up.

P.S. For those of you who honestly tried to help me, I'm not referring to you.

There is an air of arrogance from those in the know about certain things. I wish that would die down a little. There is also a need to keep things light around here, when appropriate. It is a hard line to draw. The thing that gets me is people who try and make themselves bigger by making others smaller. I really dont see much of that, but do try and delete it, if I see it. Sorry if I ever get side tracked or in hijack mode, there has to be a sense of humor here for me or why bother.

Kestryll
08-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Sadly the feel of front porch chatting has fallen to the wayside here of late.
We do have a collection of egos and arrogance around here now that makes things a bit strained at times.
Conversely we also have some who are a bit over sensitive as well.

The trick is to find the balance point. We may never get the full feel of the early days of Calguns back but I want to start working with the Mods to try to bring this forum as close to what it was as we can.

We're all here because we enjoy firearms and want to preserve that in our home State, let's remember that.

socalguns
08-13-2006, 2:29 AM
You are correct member, your mentality is out of control :p
Its a good senior members like me are all perfect :rolleyes:
to balance things out :D

chris
08-13-2006, 8:25 AM
i made a similar post dealing with this issue and it seemed to have abated some. not so much arrogance as i was seeing prior to my thread. yes there is a problem here and there are attitudes. but i have suggested that people here use their knowledge to assist those who do not know and use what they have in a positive way. again i have noticed a change recently.

you may refernce the thread that i wrote.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37395

chickenfried
08-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Problems? Way too many sandy "you know whats"
Remember guys.......
http://static.flickr.com/84/214098105_bc24895eee_o.jpg

tenringtaz
08-13-2006, 9:29 AM
Interesting...
Though this is specifically about this forum/board, I see the same arrogance and poor attitude on other boards/forums AND at the range as well.

As far as I am concerned, California is in dire straights and no one needs to be anything but awfully supportive and nice to each other. If people cannot behave, give sound advice and not question someones intentions then they need to simply not type. Stay off the keyboard unless you can chime in with some helpful info or advice.

Opining on WHY a person might want to do something is of no value - UNLESS - you are trying to help them not make a legal mistake and end up in REAL trouble. Even then, it should be communicated in a supportive way, not "Hey stupid, why are you doing that? Don't you know that's illegal..." or some other off-handed remarks.

Personally, so far, I have had nice and polite exchanges with folks here and no one has specifically FLAMED me. Flaming is possibly too strong a word for some of the responses this person may have received - I don't know.

Basically, it boils down to this - are we together on fighting this State's extremely restrictive gun laws and in helping each other learn about firearms, or are we all in our little silos of exclusivity and have no intention to help anyone except for our egos?

Profanity has no value in these forums, or any others for that matter, except maybe a forum ABOUT profanity. ;)

I am sure I am inviting a few contrary remarks, but I really don't care - I am a lifelong California resident, am a life member of NRA, CRPA, American Legion, VFW, Reagan Ranch and several other organizations. I am a big fan of California and love this State.

Can't see why anyone on this forum/board would ever want to ridicule, chastise or otherwise be less than friendly to anyone other than a "troll".

God Bless America, God Bless California and I hope that we can all spend time banding together to learn from each other and support fighting the itiotic and litigous wankers in this State's government.

~TRT
"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once." David Hume
SUPPORT Californians right to bear arms... (http://calnra.com/volunteer/)
Check out the life clock (http://nramemberscouncils.com/lifeclock/) :cool:

megavolt121
08-13-2006, 12:37 PM
If people cannot behave, give sound advice and not question someones intentions then they need to simply not type. Stay off the keyboard unless you can chime in with some helpful info or advice.

Opining on WHY a person might want to do something is of no value - UNLESS - you are trying to help them not make a legal mistake and end up in REAL trouble. Even then, it should be communicated in a supportive way, not "Hey stupid, why are you doing that? Don't you know that's illegal..." or some other off-handed remarks.

This just about sums up the B.S. I'm referring to. If you don't have something useful to say, than don't say it.

You are correct member, your mentality is out of control
Its a good senior members like me are all perfect
to balance things out

Case in point. Enough said. And I really don't care if you are Jr., Sr, or whatever member. Sound advice can come from anyone with 0 to 1000 postings. On that note, I can't believe that after talking with some members, they actually care about the number of postings they have. I have been on this board for 6 months now and I barely post considering how much I read it. If someone has already said what I've thought, I wont post. There's just no point.

Ok, maybe you were joking, but remember sarcasam isn't easily read on the internet and can be taken the other way. I'm not saying we have to be so PC we don't talk on here, but I'm merely suggesting we all think twice before responding.

Flaming is possibly too strong a word for some of the responses this person may have received - I don't know.

Ok so Flaming might not be the proper terminology for this case. Sorry for all of you who might think I'm taking this a bit far, but the point still stands.

RedBluff
08-13-2006, 12:52 PM
My Therory,

Arrogance and attitude comes from growing up without getting your butt kicked enough. How many kids these days really know what an ol'time coon A whup A means? How many of you know what it's like to get punched in the mouth and knocked out? And I me these metaphorically and literrally.

Our nation is filled with soiled brats that have never know what needing or wanting means.

It is my hope that our returning veterans bring back some appreciation.

Just my 2 cents.

Mega, there's a bunch of great folks on this site with a crap load of knowledge, don't let the socksuckers discourage your thirst for gun knowledge.

tenringtaz
08-13-2006, 2:03 PM
RedBluff's got it right - there are tons of great folks on the forum.

I am a VET, not GW2 (Gulf War II), but GW1 and also spent a lot of time out of country. Saw plenty of what we could have but don't (starvation, poverty, slavery - yes, SLAVERY, oppressed subjects, etc.) and came back a changed man forever. Seeing 6 year old boys who are such good pickpockets it puts most magicians to shame, pre-teen girls swimming is an open sewage "river" to retrieve coins thrown over by some sick military dorks and other abominations of humanity (priamarily due to their corrupt and totalitarin governments) told me how good we've got it.

God Bless America! (again and still...)

Dump1567
08-13-2006, 7:59 PM
I've thought this site has been messed-up for awhile. I've just never been able to put my finger on the problems. I've seen countless worthless posts on topics that should have died days prior. Some people just like to argue about nothing. Look at when I joined this board and my post count. I don't just post for the hell of it. What's the saying, two ears & one mouth.

In regards to your orig. thread, I thought most post were fairly reasonable.

I actually prefer AR15.com & could care less if someone bashes Cali. I usually only come here to get the legal update info. I don't care about 10 pages of Blah, Blah, Blah (look at me, I can type), Blah, Blah....
I guess I just don't fit into the Cali mold.

Boomer1961
08-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey, I know....

How about a forum where people post what they think....

...after all it does say "FORUM" in the title (as opposed to "wiki" or "knowledge base" name sites use to discourage free thought and sticking to just the facts).

.....But of course with just a couple of really simple basic rules....

The golden rule of treat others as you want to be treated.

Not identifying a person or group of people and pointing out they are wrong, no one likes that when it turns out to be themselves.

Not taking it personally when someone differs from your opionion because after all we come in all shapes and sizes and some have innies and some have outies.

Not gettting mad if someone does not answer your question you asked when you started the thread-except if it violates the above rules.

Keeping answers brief or if you tend to ramble alot like me doing a summary with a brief answer then lots and lots of space before rambling so others can avoid it.

Most importantly no drugs and/or alcohol intake or being under the influence while reading the forum and especially while posting.:eek:

I have been guilty of breaking a few of these rules from time to time but I try to respect peoples time, and being an occasional rule breaker I am more understanding and not so quick to judge.

I am sorry to see the "for sale" section gone but money really changes peoples behaviour for the worse (including my own) and there were some members using it to make a buck at the expense of members instead of using it for simple trading as most of us would like to see.

Now that was my sound off, sorry for it being to long and rambling

......and I hope everyone will once again start to feel good about this forum again (I know the majority still do!) rather than feeling alot of fustration and adding to everyones fustration by being negative, lets all focus on the positive.

How about a new rule that for every post you make because you want too, that you make one that is flattering with something nice and complimentary or that actually takes alot of work to answer and is useful and to the point, sort of like that TV show with the Karma thing of doing good and balancing things. Remember one good post, then credit given for one post to sound off politely.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!:D

rkt88edmo
08-15-2006, 9:50 AM
Now playing on my CD player:

Give a monkey a brain and he'll think he's the center of the universe
-Fishbone

socalguns
08-15-2006, 1:08 PM
Case in point. Enough said. And I really don't care if you are Jr., Sr, or whatever member. Sound advice can come from anyone with 0 to 1000 postings. On that note, I can't believe that after talking with some members, they actually care about the number of postings they have. I have been on this board for 6 months now and I barely post considering how much I read it. If someone has already said what I've thought, I wont post. There's just no point.

Oh come now, I was just teasing.
This thread contains a lot of truths... but its not as bad as you say.
Have more fun, think "friendly conversation", you'll get more out of calguns.

PanzerAce
08-15-2006, 1:24 PM
My Therory,

Arrogance and attitude comes from growing up without getting your butt kicked enough. How many kids these days really know what an ol'time coon A whup A means? How many of you know what it's like to get punched in the mouth and knocked out? And I me these metaphorically and literrally.

Our nation is filled with soiled brats that have never know what needing or wanting means.

Don't go down that road, just don't:mad: . Some of the craziest and most irrational posts have come from 'adults' on this forum. It seems to me that every time something goes wrong either in the news or on this forum, someone always comes up with the idea of 'let's all blame the younger people, they are the minority after all'. Fine, it may seem like a good idea, but its not. The fact of the matter is, no matter how corny it sounds, we ARE the future of this society. Sure, there are some younger people in the world that I personally wouldn't trust with a sling shot, and that I think should be beaten a few times, but those are far and away the exception rather than the rule. On the other hand, I have met many people around my age (I'm 18, by the way), that I trust to do the right thing far more than many older people that I have met. You seem to think that we, the younger generation, are a nation of pleasure seeking, lazy, rude people. The fact is that we are not. As an example (assuming you are even still reading this), I have a friend that currently goes to SJSU. While it might sound like he did terrible in HS based on this, he didn't. He got straight A's in all his classes and a 1550 on the SAT (the old version with the 1600 max score). He did all of this while restoring Porsche 944s. Those that know alot about cars know that this means he spent and insane amount of time working on cars. He currently works for a porsche tuning shop. Does this sound like a spoiled brat to you?

As for arrogance and attitude, it seems to me like the pot is calling the kettle black. You seem to be under the impression (mistaken, IMHO) that getting beaten as a kid somehow entitles you to ridicule those that didn't. Have you ever thought that maybe the reason that some of us haven't been beaten is because we are more behaved then you when you were our age? Ponder me that for awhile.

Cliff notes, for those that dont want to read: Blaming all the worlds problems on the younger generations is getting old, stop.

dhl
08-15-2006, 7:32 PM
Beating people isn't the answer. Upbringing, nuturing and education is. I've seen too many 'kids' that haven't had enough 'parenting' or their parents only care for themselvs and the kids end up with no manners and simply think that in a consumer society the way to get (even more) things is to act arrogant and rude and raise their voice threatingly. These people, even the older ones that do it, simply haven't learned to 'respect the rights of others' and they haven't learned or studied or been taught the technical and especially the safety aspects of guns. Hollywood is big on using guns to kill, but they don't teach safety or respect for much of anything except do whatever you want.