View Full Version : YHM front flip up sight, is it durable?

08-12-2006, 7:41 PM

is this thing as durable as the standard fsb? I want to get this flip up to finish off my build. I've heard some guys saying it wiggles side to side in the up position. any experience guys?

08-12-2006, 8:21 PM
I have used mine for the past year. It is pretty nicely built and I have not heard any problems with it.

However I have had a problem with mine. The design itself leaves the operating mechanism prone to being bent slightly (under hard use) and basically makes the locking mechanism non-operable (it won't stay locked up.) However I'm the guy that puts 1k rounds per time running multiple drills through a rifle so I doubt anything won't at least be damaged eventually. That said, a few minutes with a pair of pliers and a small hammer did the trick. I'll probably pick up a set of Troy's one of these day but the YHM has worked pretty darn well so far.

08-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I have the YHM front and rear BUIS and they work like they should. I like the YHM since its very smooth and "clean" looking. For the price it is worth it and there is no wobble in any direction.

For my carbine build I'll probably pop for the Troys though.

08-13-2006, 9:34 AM
I've got the YHM that fits on the gasblock rails. Fit and finish is not so hot, with tooling marks on the sides (visible chatter). The lock mech isn't something I would stake my life on; it's on my varmint rifle so I don't care on that one. When I went to put a flip up sight/block on my M4gery, I chose the PRI one piece unit. Fit and finish there is MUCH better and it is much more solid in construction. On a gun I just might grab if it ever hits the fan I would not use a YHM based on what I see in the one I own. Yea, the PRI cost 100 bucks more than the YHM version, and I can see why.

Another brand that's top notch is TROY. While I have not used their front sight, I have several of their rear flips and they are solid and very well made. They don't make one with a built in gas block; that's why I bought the PRI.

08-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I bought a YHM and sold it before using it.

Personally, even though it's more money, I find the PRI is nice and worth the price.

08-13-2006, 10:46 AM
so i take it that the build is inferior compared to the original fsb and other flip ups such as pri and troy?:(

08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
YHM works on a budget, and if that's your only concern, then go for it. PRI is excellent product, but I prefer the Troy.

08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
BUIS are all these are designed to be..........BACK-UP sighting systems.

They are designed for quick deployment when your primary sight goes down. They should be able to throw a few rounds in the general direction if the need arises.

YHM work pretty good for the price and PRI are very nice if you require that level of craftsmanship.

YHM also sells a rail front gas set-up w/o the site......this would be a good choice if you subject your rifle to lots of use. This would allow you to swap out flip-ups if you damage them w/o having to take apart the gas assembly....food for thought.

08-13-2006, 11:59 AM
The only reason you'd ever even need a back up iron sight is that someone is busy trying to kill you and your optics fail. It is my opinion that this is not the time to:

1. Lower the firearm from the threat.
2. Stop watching the threat and look over the rifle.
3. Flip up sights.
4. Raise the rifle back toward the threat.
5. Re-aquire the target.

I like my back up sights fixed and "in my way" co-witnessed with my red dot of death and ready to go in a nano-second. Murphy's law of combat says that while you're flipping your BUIS the threat is putting lead into you.

Of course the iron sights really aren't in your way as you shoot the red dots with both eyes open. If the red dot fails you just have to close your left eye - and as fast as you can wink - you're back in business.

08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I have the YHM front flip sight that goes onto a railed gas block. My rifle also has a flat top upper. I have the LMT rear BUIS. I am currently using these sights as primary sights as I don't have any optics available at this time. They work fine together, especially for range work. I cannot comment on if the front BUIS will hold up in a combat situation. For plinking and range work with iron sight I think they will hold up fine.

08-13-2006, 1:12 PM
I ask about the YHM because I was going to build a middy but have run short on money. I plan on purcahsing a la rue 9 inch rail, run the carbine gas system with a low pro gas block and use the YHM as a front sight, but i've heard that the 9.0 wont fully hide the low pro gas block. can anyone chime in on this as well?:)