PDA

View Full Version : British Surplus ss109 62gr Nato?

Ironballs
08-12-2006, 8:20 PM
Midwayusa has British Surplus ss109 (.223) on sale now, and i am thinking of jumping on it. I have not shot this stuff, and am looking for your thoughts (accuracy, power levels, etc.). I believe this is the ss109 steep penitrator bullet, loaded to xm855 nato standard (if i am translating that correctly).

Anybody want to weight in on this ammo/price?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=285173&EblastID=81120061

C.G.
08-12-2006, 8:37 PM
Was already covered not long ago:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38357

SemiAutoSam
08-12-2006, 8:40 PM
This outfit has a deal going on AR15.com of a like kind of ammo.

http://www.copesdist.com/index.htm

-hanko
08-13-2006, 9:42 AM
This outfit has a deal going on AR15.com of a like kind of ammo.

http://www.copesdist.com/index.htm
Sam, do you have a link for arfcom, or a direct link to the ammo deal on Cope
s website??

Thanks

-hanko

maschronic
08-13-2006, 9:48 AM
Midwayusa has British Surplus ss109 (.223) on sale now, and i am thinking of jumping on it. I have not shot this stuff, and am looking for your thoughts (accuracy, power levels, etc.). I believe this is the ss109 steep penitrator bullet, loaded to xm855 nato standard (if i am translating that correctly).

Anybody want to weight in on this ammo/price?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=285173&EblastID=81120061

you can goto ammobros and get a 500 can for 100 bucks. its the same price as online. i have not had any problems with their .223 ammo!! its good stuff.

SemiAutoSam
08-13-2006, 9:50 AM
Sam, do you have a link for arfcom, or a direct link to the ammo deal on Cope
s website??

Thanks

-hanko

Sure here ya go

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=350848

NATO SS109 Radway Green 62gr. .223 720rd can. Loose packed Ammo comes with bandoliers and stripper clips. Will not be loaded in either. Packed in a .50 cal. can. Brass-cased, Boxer-primed, reloadable, non-corrosive and waterproof. .

Full metal jacket boat-tail bullet with hardened steel penetrator.
Made by Britain's Radway Green Arsenal.
62gr. Bullet

Price $129.99ea.

Shipping is exact shipping
Call to order 937-901-9072/937-548-6658.
Email rc11rc@donet.com

This is not on our website for this price. MUST call to order.

Thanks
Roger

Ironballs
08-13-2006, 10:49 AM
midway .22cents a round shipped,...
Copes .20cents a round shipped...

both early 90's manufacture...
so many mixed reviews of this stuff however, its quite funny... many say its loaded hot and beware of bulged cases, and many complaints its loaded weak and wont cycle some relaible usually reliable m4's, and the only chronos on it put it just about 70fps hotter than winchester Q- which is generally considered quite good...

anyhow, for the price... Copes is getting a call monday from me...
thanks for adding to this thread, even though it turned out a repeat...

PIRATE14
08-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Very mixed reviews on British ss109.....I was leery of using it but so far over 2,000 rds w/o probelms.

It seems pretty hot ammo on par w/ LC or IMI......this is just feeling haven't chrono'd any rounds.

-hanko
08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Sam, thanks for the link:D

I should have prefaced my other thread by noting that it's not the world's favorite mouse gun ammo, there may be better pricing someplace else, and that the message just passed on what midway emailed me. Oh well.

I still hold M855 and M195 as MY favorite, WW Q3131A is also top notch. Guatemalan 55gr NATO is great blasting ammo, South African (recently ordered from AIM) also works well.

I'd place Radway behind all these, but my post was not a recommendation, just a mention of yet another source for ammo. With the new info for Copes, I also will spend some $$ with them tomorrow.

It's your choice if it's your shtf/zombie load, or blasting ammo for the range. I've chrono'd Radway and consistently found it slower than the others...it still works.

I don't shoot other's reloads in my guns with the sole exception of Black Hills.

-hanko

SemiAutoSam
08-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Every time I tried to call copes all I got was a machine Im a little leary of leaving my credit card info on a machine let us know how it pans out and I might get a few cases myself.

BTW IronBalls how did you figure the shipping ?

Hanko my pleasure always glad to share a good deal.

Ironballs
08-13-2006, 3:08 PM
midway quote of $20 for 1K rds to me is where the .22 per comes from...

and copes at $14 average shipping per 720 for most people quoted in the link, is whre .20 per round comes from...but I just saw a quote for 29 to ca, so that makes it .217cents per round shipped to CA... diff. is slight $3 per thousand still favoring copes,... that said, i ordered from midway, as they have my info, its super easy, and i needed some other stuff that did not make my shipping quote change at all..

xenophobe
08-13-2006, 4:56 PM
It's cleaner and more accurate than Wolf.

It isn't 5.56 NATO spec'd ammo. It is approximately the same as a commercial .223 load, perhaps just slightly under spec. Good clean ammo though. Some picky guns (that also don't like wolf) may not like this ammo, but I doubt it.

New guns that are really tight may require a break in before this stuff is usable.

-hanko
08-13-2006, 10:05 PM
many say its loaded hot and beware of bulged cases, and many complaints its loaded weak and wont cycle some relaible usually reliable m4's, and the only chronos on it put it just about 70fps hotter than winchester Q- which is generally considered quite good...

anyhow, for the price... Copes is getting a call monday from me...
thanks for adding to this thread, even though it turned out a repeat...
I've never seen a bulged case, and I see 98% of 'em as I reload. Win Q is as good as it gets (the Q3131A)...I'd check the weapon if the '70 fps hotter' stuff won't cycle when Q will:confused: .

Reports of failure to fire generally link to a lighter hammer spring (or a spring with one leg bent) used to get a 'better' trigger pull...military primers are harder than commercial. The "Ten Minute Trigger Job" is notorious for stuff like this.

-hanko

akjunkie
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
ok, since the Green tip SS109/M855 can be picked up with a Magnetic...will the Range Nazis boot me off the shooting range for having "steel" core ammo?

C.G.
08-13-2006, 11:06 PM
ok, since the Green tip SS109/M855 can be picked up with a Magnetic...will the Range Nazis boot me off the shooting range for having "steel" core ammo?

SS109/M855 is not allowed at my range, due to fire hazard.