PDA

View Full Version : Handgun from Nevada to Kali....

Nylo
08-12-2006, 5:17 PM
A relative has given me a handgun and I now want to bring it into PRK. What are the lawful steps I need to take?

Thanks,
Nylo

nosewitdot
08-12-2006, 6:59 PM
well if it's on the list, then you have to do ffl to ffl transfer i believe

jnojr
08-13-2006, 10:28 AM
A relative has given me a handgun and I now want to bring it into PRK. What are the lawful steps I need to take?

Not enough info.

Is the relative a parent, grandparent, or adult child? If so, it doesn't have to be on the "OK" list, and you don't have to wait ten days... there's a DOJ form you can fill out and mail in with $19 They can hand you the gun, but if they ship it to you it has to go via a CA FFL, and they may insist on doing the whole DROS. Ask first!

Any other relation, I believe it's the same as any other transfer... must go through FFL, must be on OK list, you must buy a lock, you must wait ten days, etc.

EOD Guy
08-13-2006, 2:06 PM
Not enough info.

Is the relative a parent, grandparent, or adult child? If so, it doesn't have to be on the "OK" list, and you don't have to wait ten days... there's a DOJ form you can fill out and mail in with $19 They can hand you the gun, but if they ship it to you it has to go via a CA FFL, and they may insist on doing the whole DROS. Ask first!

Any other relation, I believe it's the same as any other transfer... must go through FFL, must be on OK list, you must buy a lock, you must wait ten days, etc.

The relationship doesn't matter. Federal law requires a transfer through a California FFL. Normally this requires that the handgun be on the list. I believe that California DOJ can approve a non-list transfer to an immediate family member in California but am not sure of the procedure. Either way, the 10 day wait applies. Non FFL transfer between immediate family members can only occur if both are residents of California.