PDA

View Full Version : considering OC... holster limitations?

send it_hit
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Hey all,

Thinking of OC'ing more often... but this made me wonder, are there any legality issues with holsters? What if I want a thigh holster. Can I do that? (I don't.) What can or can't I use? Thanks folks!

Nothing will be taken as legal council, just direction to the right laws :)

wildhawker
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
PC 12025(f): "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section."

send it_hit
01-12-2011, 11:58 PM
reading that section now, thanks as always wildhawker.

hgreen
01-13-2011, 7:48 AM
I've never seen a LEO complain about a thigh rig. I've even seen people OC with shoulder holsters without a problem from LEOs even when the LEOs are all around the group.

wildhawker
01-13-2011, 7:57 AM
Is the thigh rig attached via belt or straps, etc.?

707electrician
01-13-2011, 10:19 AM
A thigh rig would probably be best for open carrying, then you could wear a jacket without worrying about it being accidentally concealed

PsychGuy274
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Pretty much everything is OK as long as it is in plain sight. Heck, you could even super glue it to a funny cowboy hat if you want to. :p

Minimum retention, however, should be level I and it is strongly recommended to have a level II which is what I use. (This is just my personal opinion)

Think about this - you're walking around open carrying and you trip and fall and your gun goes flying out of your holster. That's going to be significantly more embarrassing than if you were not carrying.

God Bless The Mauser
01-13-2011, 1:01 PM
Pretty much everything is OK as long as it is in plain sight.

No Lugers in their original flap holster :(

Army
01-13-2011, 5:02 PM
No Lugers in their original flap holster :(
The law just says holster [...worn on the belt], no mention of full flap being illegal. Holster, and holstered gun, is not concealed as long as the holster is worn in the open.

voiceofreason
01-13-2011, 5:47 PM
A thigh rig would probably be best for open carrying, then you could wear a jacket without worrying about it being accidentally concealed

I don't generally OC, but that is a pretty good way to make sure it stays in the open. Might make retention more difficult, but it will remain visible...

ImPo
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Drop leg holsters are nice, especially if you OC at night and require a jacket. I do however find my leg becomes irritated by the straps. If you are planning to walk around a lot I'd stick with an OWB but be conscious of loose attire.

the_quark
01-14-2011, 3:38 AM
It is worth noting that "carried openly in belt holsters" is not the only way for it to be "not concealed". It's just the only way that's explicitly called out.

BillCA
01-14-2011, 4:12 AM
As a word of advice, it'd be wise to carry in a holster that has some form of retention strap or security. Thus, if you trip on the steps, curb or your own feet and stumble you're not picking it up off the sidewalk. It'll also slow down anyone intent on snatching it.

Many drop-loop holsters are suitable as they allow a jacket to be worn. So too are many police-type duty holsters that have what's called a "jacket slot" between the holster and belt.

For an OC event, you can always slide the holster further forward so the jacket doesn't cover it.

send it_hit
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
excellent. thank you all