PDA

View Full Version : Never been hunting yet... Are there a lot of protestors?

tman
08-12-2006, 2:51 PM
I've heard that protestors go where people hunt to protest. Does it really happen that much?

I think it's ridiculous. They're just animals. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but maybe they should watch the Lion King and learn about the "great circle of life". I also think it's ridiculous how the vegan way of thinking holds the same value for a silk worm that they do for us humans.

Whether they like it or not, they're omnivores just like the rest of us and the fact is if their ancestors weren't killing animals for thousands of years then they wouldn't be able to stand here today waving those stupid signs.

I am just against the idea that we should hold the same value for an animal's life as we do for a human. I am also not against killing animals as long as it's for food. Killing just for sport is another thing. I am also against industrialized farming, animal abuse, etc. but those are different issues.

Just wondering if anyone has ever run into people like this and how/if you responded. Maybe we should find out when the next big protest is so we can have a nice big BBQ right next to them.

Also, the whole "ethical vegan/vegetarian" thing is something I spent a good while looking hard at and trying to understand. Soon after I felt like I had a good grasp on the logic, I realized how flawed it really is.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-12-2006, 3:55 PM
I have yet to see one single protester.. and I have been hunting since '85 I usually hunt D5 or D6

big jon
08-12-2006, 4:08 PM
Same for me never seen a one of them?

M. Sage
08-12-2006, 4:55 PM
There isn't a law against that? I remember in Michigan, "interfering" with a legal hunting or fishing activity was illegal.

I'd bet the anti-hunting activities are few and far between. I'm sure that they just get themselves plenty of press to make it seem like there's more of it.

I mean, really.. would YOU want to go unarmed into the wilderness to harass people who ARE armed? Didn't think so.

tman
08-12-2006, 8:21 PM
There isn't a law against that? I remember in Michigan, "interfering" with a legal hunting or fishing activity was illegal.

I'd bet the anti-hunting activities are few and far between. I'm sure that they just get themselves plenty of press to make it seem like there's more of it.

I mean, really.. would YOU want to go unarmed into the wilderness to harass people who ARE armed? Didn't think so.
Maybe it only happens in the UK: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yamjCaJ5w88

Apeman88
08-12-2006, 8:56 PM

:eek: good point. haha :eek:

Rumpled
08-13-2006, 7:07 PM
I've never seen any in my 20+ years of hunting.
I have heard that some of the Ca bighorn hunts had protestors.

Amazingly, CA does have a law against interfering with a hunt.

Should I ever see it happen, I'll call CALTIP

Ford8N
08-13-2006, 7:57 PM
I do not hunt where there are other people. Solo is the only way to hunt.

eckerph
08-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Some bikers gave me some crap once at the 76 station in shaver lake, but other than that ive never seen any protesters or heard of any.

CalNRA
08-15-2006, 1:03 PM
Some bikers gave me some crap once at the 76 station in shaver lake, but other than that ive never seen any protesters or heard of any.

that don't count. The bikers will give themselves a ton of crap when they are bored enough. Trust me, I used live near a biker bar in Zyante and the stuff they do out of boredom....

guns_and_labs
08-15-2006, 1:48 PM
I've never seen any protestors in CA, NV, OR or MT hunting. I keep hoping.

I did run into a Sierra Club backpacking trip, got a few tips on which bears to shoot... I guess they lost all their food on the first night out.

Pokey
08-15-2006, 1:53 PM
When they start the whole karmic all life is equal thing, I just point out that by their reasoning that they are better off eating a cow (1 life) than bread (1000's of yeast lives), it really messes with their heads.:D
Unfortunately that reasoning rules out beer so I just eat (or drink)whatever I feel like (why not we are the ones with the opposable thumbs).:D :D

caduckgunner
08-15-2006, 1:58 PM
I have yet to see one single protester.. and I have been hunting since '85 I usually hunt D5 or D6

You don't hunt Cabbage Patch with the 50 Million other people do ya:p

I was told a story once that a bunch of PETA prostestors were out in the wood on mountian banging a bunch of pots and pans together to scare the deer away. The hunters wised up and went to the bottom of the mountin where the scared deer were running to and shot the ******** out of them. Not sure if it's a true story or not, but it's funny as hell if it was.

CalNRA
08-15-2006, 3:16 PM
You don't hunt Cabbage Patch with the 50 Million other people do ya:p

I was told a story once that a bunch of PETA prostestors were out in the wood on mountian banging a bunch of pots and pans together to scare the deer away. The hunters wised up and went to the bottom of the mountin where the scared deer were running to and shot the ******** out of them. Not sure if it's a true story or not, but it's funny as hell if it was.

"quick, we gotta thin out hteir numbers AND they are coming right for us!!!"

M. Sage
08-15-2006, 4:26 PM
I've never seen any in my 20+ years of hunting.
I have heard that some of the Ca bighorn hunts had protestors.

Amazingly, CA does have a law against interfering with a hunt.

Should I ever see it happen, I'll call CALTIP

Could make a citizen's arrest. :P

Rumpled
08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
No point in being confrontational.
I'd probably be accused of kidnapping since I'd be the armed one.

I'll stick to pictures and video if it ever happens.

Nice idea, though.

I also like the 1000's of yeast dying, I'll have to try it on my vegan friends.

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
A guy did not call off his slow approaching angry dog, on the Pacific Trail once. I just levelled off my rifle at the pooch, and he called him back. He wanted to talk but I was uninterested. I have no place for people that would put a dog at risk to prove a point. Common sense is not so common. That was one incident since 1970.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-16-2006, 3:43 AM
that don't count. The bikers will give themselves a ton of crap when they are bored enough. Trust me, I used live near a biker bar in Zyante and the stuff they do out of boredom....

Had to be the Trout Farm....had to be the GMR...LOL!:D

pepsi2451
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM

lol thats good but read this:

PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS MAKES HUNTING EASY

If you are familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), then you are aware of the fact they will do almost anything to protect animals. PETA’s efforts to save Ohio’s deer from this year’s annual statewide gun season has backfired.

An Ohio safety law requires hunters to display at least 400 square inches of hunter’s blaze orange on their person when in the woods. Capitalizing on the fact that hunters do not usually shoot orange because of its identification with hunter’s garb, PETA recently bulk purchased blaze orange vests and have been affixing them to live-trapped deer in Youngstown suburbs.

According to PETA spokesperson Katie Reese, a total of 405 vests were successfully put into circulation on deer by mid-December, and the anti-hunting group was still catching and vesting more deer.

Youngtown entrepreneur Guy Lockey, of Guy’s Outdoors came up with an idea that spits in the face of PETA by offering rewards for returned vests. Hunters who successfully bagged a vested deer could register for a drawing for random and biggest animal awards. Some 308 of the vests were recorded as bagged, based on returns by most of the hunter’s registering for Mr. Lockey’s drawing.

“It’s so easy, you can see them coming a mile away” said one first year hunter after checking in his first spike buck.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources officials were worried that the poorly thought-out plan by PETA might get somebody shot instead of saving the deer. “Hunters have turned PETA’s plan upside down, so we’re just hoping that nobody gets hurt and are hoping that none of the vested animals get tangled in brush,” said an unnamed ODNR official. “PETA has really outdone itself this time.”

Ohio’s short statewide gun season is open to shotguns only.

http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/gt-report/Report73.htm

I don't know if its true but it would be funny.:D

Rumpled
08-17-2006, 3:57 PM

Kinda funny, but if true; shouldn't they investigate/prosecute PETA and the individuals involved for harassing wildlife?

Pappy91W
08-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I've never seen/run into/been harassed by any protesters whilst hunting. I've been under the belief that such folk are an urban legend!:D

taloft
08-18-2006, 1:24 PM
Come on down to San Diego. They're plenty of PETA moon bats for you to see. I've seen them at San Vicente Reservoir, complete with a mermaid outfit. I was happy to ignore their BS, until they started slapping the water with the oars on the rental boat to scare off the fish. I was tempted to hook one of them with a Rapala. There were two girls and one guy. Someone in a jet boat came by and rooster tailed the morons. The look on their faces made it all worthwhile. I was still laughing that night when I saw the blurb on the news about them being at the lake.

They love to bother the local biolabs about the test animals. They irritate the local cub scouts about fishing and hunting merit badges. They complained about the name for Petco Park. Generally, They are just a pain.

grammaton76
08-18-2006, 1:46 PM
Don't forget the office building that the ELF burned down off of La Jolla Village Drive.

And... mermaid suit? Was it at least a hot girl wearing it?

taloft
08-18-2006, 4:06 PM
Not in my opinion, and I also remember ELF lighting up the car dealership in PB.

grammaton76
08-18-2006, 6:53 PM
Not in my opinion, and I also remember ELF lighting up the car dealership in PB.

Ah, right. Was that the hummer dealership, or was the hummer dealership seperate?

Ryoushi
08-24-2006, 9:52 AM
Weren't some unfinished homes torched in North County as well? These little anarchist pukes make me sick, but I've hunted and fished from Shasta to Lower Otay and never been hassled.

Ryoushi
08-24-2006, 10:52 AM

PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS MAKES HUNTING EASY

If you are familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), then you are aware of the fact they will do almost anything to protect animals. PETA’s efforts to save Ohio’s deer from this year’s annual statewide gun season has backfired.

An Ohio safety law requires hunters to display at least 400 square inches of hunter’s blaze orange on their person when in the woods. Capitalizing on the fact that hunters do not usually shoot orange because of its identification with hunter’s garb, PETA recently bulk purchased blaze orange vests and have been affixing them to live-trapped deer in Youngstown suburbs.

According to PETA spokesperson Katie Reese, a total of 405 vests were successfully put into circulation on deer by mid-December, and the anti-hunting group was still catching and vesting more deer.

Youngtown entrepreneur Guy Lockey, of Guy’s Outdoors came up with an idea that spits in the face of PETA by offering rewards for returned vests. Hunters who successfully bagged a vested deer could register for a drawing for random and biggest animal awards. Some 308 of the vests were recorded as bagged, based on returns by most of the hunter’s registering for Mr. Lockey’s drawing.

“It’s so easy, you can see them coming a mile away” said one first year hunter after checking in his first spike buck.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources officials were worried that the poorly thought-out plan by PETA might get somebody shot instead of saving the deer. “Hunters have turned PETA’s plan upside down, so we’re just hoping that nobody gets hurt and are hoping that none of the vested animals get tangled in brush,” said an unnamed ODNR official. “PETA has really outdone itself this time.”

Ohio’s short statewide gun season is open to shotguns only.

It's not true pure web BS (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/deervest.htm). Just think of PETAphiles catching deer. Ridiculous.

WolfMansDad
08-27-2006, 8:53 AM
I've read about protesters in the woods, but I've never seen one while I've been hunting.

As for vegetarians, I have several vegetarian friends, and they are all perfectly comfortable with my hunting. Most of them do it for what they call health reasons, and at least one did it in protest of the way chickens were treated in factory farms.

Of course, I woudn't hang out with someone who had a problem with my lifestyle.

tman
09-11-2006, 9:31 AM
As for vegetarians, I have several vegetarian friends, and they are all perfectly comfortable with my hunting. Most of them do it for what they call health reasons

I also looked into converting to a vegetarian diet for health reasons. I found out that (in my opinion) becoming a vegetarian would actually deprive my body of certain things. That is why we are omnivores, I suppose.

So while I was researching vegetarianism and veganism, I also realized how it is very hypocritical. Maddox does a great job of covering some of these hypocrisies: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

So the way I see it, there is no point in becomming a vegan/vegetarian for health reasons, and there is no reason to becoming a vegan/vegetarian for ethical reasons... So why do it?

tomtom
08-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Not hunting, but fishing lake michigan for salmon earlier this summer we ran into trouble.

We were trolling up and down the coast, about a dozen other boats around when this sailboat starts coming straight towards us, sails raised. the wind is dead and I notice his sails arent full. However we have to give way and turn to avoid him(side note- picked up a nice rainbow on the turn). he turns and heads straight at us again, as if to drag through our lines. He ends up passing about 40 yards off the stern, Im suprised he didnt catch any gear like I thought he would. Immediately after passing and trying to interrupt the fishing, he drops sail and continues under motor.

The mate onboard gave him a wave as if to say "hey, we're here watch the lines buddy", and was returned a not-so-friendly gesture.

Another captain, who had problems with him too, came on and said they had a fellow from minnesota on board who swore it was legal to shoot a flare into his sails, so long as it was expired...

sargenv
08-20-2007, 5:56 AM
I've been hunting since I was about 13 and in all the years I've hunted in this state, I've never run into someone in the field. Though it helps that most of the places I've hunted has been private land and in an area where there just aren't a lot of protesters. They generally also don't want to brave the cold windy and sometimes rainy mornings and days when I head out duck hunting. Dad has been hunting since the 60's and I don't think he's ever been harassed either. However we hunt mainly waterfowl and upland game. Big game hunters might have more problems.

Fjold
08-20-2007, 6:26 AM
Only if you go deer hunting with a 223! (Sorry that was a joke relating to another thread)

Michael303
08-20-2007, 7:17 AM
I have never had a problem, and as far as I know, neither have my friends. Then again, I'm not James Mason in the Shooting Party (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qYq0pHDagaQ). Hmm, that clip makes has given me a sudden desire to become a member of the landed gentry.

chris
08-20-2007, 8:19 AM
i have never seen a protester out hunting. but i don't care about them. what kind of fool goes in the woods and protests in a place where everyone is armed.

emc002
08-20-2007, 8:25 AM
I ran into some mountain biking hippies off the Sunrise Highway when I was going to college in San Diego. They thought it'd be fun to try and harrass me as I was leaving for the day (I hadn't bagged anything and was heading back to the truck). I was bowhunting, so maybe they felt more secure? Anyway, rather than do something I'd regret (although I could have successfully hid the bodies!), I headed off trail, climbing as many large rocks as I could.
Interestingly enough, when I got back to my truck, there only one other car around, a VW Jetta with a bike rack & PETA sticker. Strange thing, all their tires were flat too...;)
Come on down to San Diego. They're plenty of PETA moon bats for you to see. I've seen them at San Vicente Reservoir, complete with a mermaid outfit. I was happy to ignore their BS, until they started slapping the water with the oars on the rental boat to scare off the fish. I was tempted to hook one of them with a Rapala. There were two girls and one guy. Someone in a jet boat came by and rooster tailed the morons. The look on their faces made it all worthwhile. I was still laughing that night when I saw the blurb on the news about them being at the lake.

They love to bother the local biolabs about the test animals. They irritate the local cub scouts about fishing and hunting merit badges. They complained about the name for Petco Park. Generally, They are just a pain.

Socal858
08-20-2007, 8:36 AM
I ran into some mountain biking hippies off the Sunrise Highway when I was going to college in San Diego. They thought it'd be fun to try and harrass me as I was leaving for the day (I hadn't bagged anything and was heading back to the truck). I was bowhunting, so maybe they felt more secure? Anyway, rather than do something I'd regret (although I could have successfully hid the bodies!), I headed off trail, climbing as many large rocks as I could.
Interestingly enough, when I got back to my truck, there only one other car around, a VW Jetta with a bike rack & PETA sticker. Strange thing, all their tires were flat too...;)

its a shame when things out of that happen out of natural circumstantial mother natural occurance devoid of any human intervention :p;)

rod
08-20-2007, 9:09 AM
My wife protests every time I look at a new hunting shotgun or rifle. It goes something like this...

wife: Why do you need another gun? Don't the ones you already have work?

me? Why do you need a new pair of shoes? The ones you have still work don't they?

wife: Ok, just don't spend too much.

StukaJr
08-20-2007, 1:21 PM
I don't hunt but am considering to become a hunter, perhaps.

I own pets (rodents and felines) and "live and let live kind of guy", yet I'm giving hunting a considerable thought... Even if I don't decide on hunting, I think it's a acceptable social behavior - unless you hunt my rodents, that is. Even in my most emo days, I never thought of discouraging hunting activity.

1) I eat meat and mammals are grown and slaughtered for my benefit
2) Money from hunting licenses benefit various State and Federal forest services and wildlife - don't see any "Protester License" fees anywhere.
3) My food travels roughly 100 miles to my table
4) My food is stored in freezers or warehouses for months prior to traveling to my table - I know a thing or two about
5) I'd like to think that I can dispatch my animal with less cruelty than destruction of the natural habitat to make for more food farms or 24/7 slaughterhouses...

ZombieKiller
08-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I love animals. They're Delicious.......

Gunaria
08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
I have been hunting & fishing up and down this state since '84 and I have never seen, heard or smelt a dirty protestor. All hunts have either been on BLM or NF land. So go take the hunter safety course, past the test, go buy many guns & ammo and pack the freezer full of MEAT. But do not pouch and pick up your spent brass and shotgun shells, don't be a lazy bastish.

packnrat
08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
protesters only go were the tv cam are set up at.

they do not want to get to far from starbucks.

Pan
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Also, the whole "ethical vegan/vegetarian" thing is something I spent a good while looking hard at and trying to understand. Soon after I felt like I had a good grasp on the logic, I realized how flawed it really is.

People become vegetarians for many different reasons. There's not one singular philosophy behind the diet. And anyone who is self-righteous and judgmental is going to be annoying, vegetarian or meat-eater.

And I agree wholeheartedly, hunting is considerably more humane than factory farming. An animal living in the wild being killed by a predator for food- that is the food chain, the natural order of things. Animals raised in factory farms spend their entire lives essentially being tortured. I find it incredibly frustrating when meat-eaters bash hunting as inhumane. How can they have so little understanding of where their food comes from?

I can't imagine you'll run into any protesters hunting. Most animal-rights activists are sane and reasonable people. It's just that the fringe lunatics get the most attention from the press. Fortunately their numbers are few.

arguy15
08-31-2007, 1:37 PM
I have never seen anyone protesting while hunting, then agian, where I go Prius' would have a hard time to get there. I don't even think liberals are dumb enough to piss people off with guns in the middle of no where.:)

ViPER395
09-02-2007, 9:34 AM
I don't even think liberals are dumb enough to piss people off with guns in the middle of no where.:)

This is it right here ^^^

zepman
09-29-2007, 9:54 AM
I had a few follow me while deer hunting in the Big bear area years ago. So I told them I had a deer stuck in a trap and was on my way to kill it. They freaked out and followed me for 3 hours while I took them on the hardest hike of their lives AND got them lost.I then asked them if they wanted me to show them the way out or spend the rest of the day screwing up my hunt. They were more then happy to go home at that point.................John :)

pepsi2451
09-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Most animal-rights activists are sane and reasonable people.

LOL

LMAO

ROFLMAO

OMG

:rofl2:

Crazyhorse
10-28-2007, 5:24 PM
I've only hunted private land out of state so if they are out there they are trespassing and can be shot :)

robairto
10-28-2007, 7:37 PM
I've heard that protestors go where people hunt to protest. Does it really happen that much?

There is a law against it in Ca.. You can't be bothered and frankly most LEO's
especially in rural areas don't have patience for that nonsense either.