PDA

View Full Version : Hakim rifle questions. - UPDATED WITH PHOTOS

IEShooter
01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased a Hakim and took it apart to clean it up. Pics are included including a nice 3 shot group at 100 yards. It was the only shooting at a target that I did, but I was very impressed with the rifle.

The metal parts are in good condition, though some of the finish is warn pretty good. Bolt slides nicely and the seller says he recently shot 30 rounds through it flawlessly.

Bore of the rifle looks very bright and shiny with strong rifling and no pitting.

The stock is about what you'd expect for a 50 year old rifle and has lots of character with dings, scratches, etc. No cracks though, so it has held up well.

EDIT

I have two questions.

#1 - Should I refinish the stock? Some may say "NO"!!! and some may not care. My inclination is to refinish it to make it look like new. Thoughts?

#2 - The finish is a bit worn on some of the metal parts. Should I consider having it re-parkarized?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-12-2011, 10:28 PM
#1 - I stripped it down to clean is and am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to re-assemble the trigger block, spring and screw. I found an exploded parts diagram, but it isn't entirely clear. Probably pretty intuitive once I figure it out, but for now, I'm a bit stumped.

I just checked the Hakim disassembly/reassembly instructions over on Surplusrifle...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/hakim/rifledisassembly/index.asp

...and all it says about the trigger group is "It is not easily taken apart and would require reflairing and re staking of the pins into place. The trigger group is spread out and wide open so cleaning and lubricating can be done with out disassembly." Oops! :p

IEShooter
01-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I just checked the Hakim disassembly/reassembly instructions over on Surplusrifle...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/hakim/rifledisassembly/index.asp

...and all it says about the trigger group is "It is not easily taken apart and would require reflairing and re staking of the pins into place. The trigger group is spread out and wide open so cleaning and lubricating can be done with out disassembly." Oops! :p

I edited my post as I've figured out the first one.

Those were the instructions I followed and I left the trigger group alone.

After comparing the rifle to the exploaded parts diagram I found on another web site, I figured out the trigger block and spring. Actually pretty easy once I found the nut that had fallen onto the bench and rolled underneath a paper towel...... :o

So......any thoughts on the two questions above?

freonr22
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
well its your gun. imho if you dont like the condition of the stock, and you have the wherewithal to refininsh, then YES, strip, sand, steel wool, I heard a hot iron/steam will raise the dings up, anyone confirm? repark? if you can do it your self=yes. I mean to say, its your gun, why not make it nice?

IEShooter
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
well its your gun. imho if you dont like the condition of the stock, and you have the wherewithal to refininsh, then YES, strip, sand, steel wool, I heard a hot iron/steam will raise the dings up, anyone confirm? repark? if you can do it your self=yes. I mean to say, its your gun, why not make it nice?

That's sort of my thoughts, but I'm torn. I've been a woodworker for over 20 years, so I have the skills to raise the dings and make the stock look better than new. I have no clue on how to re-park, so I'd pay someone to do that.

On the other hand, Hakim's are getting harder to find, so I'd rather not mess with it too much if what I do would ruin any future collector value.

My intent for the rifle is to take it out and enjoy shooting it, but not to wear it out. It won't be a safe queen.

Advice?

Someguy925
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
If you plan to keep the thing for your entire life, I would do whatever the heck you want.

IEShooter
01-13-2011, 9:31 AM
Well, I made a decision on the stock. Rather than re-finish it, I decided to find a stock that someone had already decided to re-finish, buy it, and put it on my rifle, keeping the original the way it is.

Turns out stocks are very difficult to find, but I got lucky and found one on GunBroker for a fair price and got it on a Buy Now.

Now, anyone know of someone who does first rate re-park jobs in the IE/OC area?

Haggar85
01-13-2011, 1:26 PM

Steam setting on an iron works on softer woods, i do it on my mosin occasionally. on the harder woods it does not really work.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-13-2011, 8:01 PM
Truthfully I wouldn't bother reparkerizing it. Going the spare stock route is a good idea. But when you start messing with the metal finish, all you are doing is destroying any collector's value. It doesn't make the gun shoot any better. Besides, it has taken over 50 years to get the patina on that. Why mess with it?

mls343
01-13-2011, 8:25 PM
Just my opinion, but my answers would be:

Refinish stock = No
Re-blue = No

SVT-40
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Good decision on the stock. If you refinish the rifle you will ruin most of it's collector value. It has character just as it is so why try to "make it better". All that will result will be an all black shooter. As is it still has some if not most of it's original blue finish.

Leave it be and just shoot it as is.

harmoniums
01-13-2011, 11:37 PM
The metal looks nice, I'd leave it.
If you want, I have a spare stock you can have.
The heel of the butt is a bit rounded over from parade practice, so that would need to be repaired, but at least you'd have your original stock intact.

Oh and I have your drill in my car, call me if you're around tomorrow

Cali-V
01-13-2011, 11:51 PM
On the stock from GB, before you do a full blown refinish; try a deep degrease and follow-up with patient oil/wax... you'll be surprised... plus maintain a lot of character. I take this route when I have a shooter that want to keep authentic, but look newish... I'd also leave the metal alone...

johnthomas
01-14-2011, 2:33 AM
One of my friends bought a Hakim. Not bad on the metal, stock is a used baseball bat. I told him, if he wanted I would strip it, stain it and tru oil it. I went through the first few processes, strip, light sand, steel wool, stain, steel wool and just got done using birchwood casey sealer on it. Tomorrow I will use 0000 steel wool and put the first of many coats of tru oil on it. When I am done, I will go shoot it.

seanbo
01-14-2011, 2:56 PM
Man I wanted a Hakim for years. Then 8mm went through the roof so I had to stick to the good ol 7.62x54R. I still love the Hakim.

IEShooter
01-14-2011, 3:14 PM
Man I wanted a Hakim for years. Then 8mm went through the roof so I had to stick to the good ol 7.62x54R. I still love the Hakim.

Ammunition to go has 300 rounds of Yugo surplus for $85. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Was it a lot cheaper in years past?

gun toting monkeyboy
01-14-2011, 5:37 PM
Ammunition to go has 300 rounds of Yugo surplus for $85. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Was it a lot cheaper in years past?

Yes. You used to be able to pick up pretty hot Turk ammo for next to nothing. I don't know if I would run it in a Hakim, but it worked well enough in mausers. And Olympic (Greek) used to have boxes of really, really nice FMJ at Turners for $5-6 a box, new. I loved using that in my Hakim because it was berdan primed, and I didn't care if it got dinged and dented. :D

Saigon1965
01-14-2011, 5:59 PM
Doesn't look bad at all - Just shoot the thing -

IEShooter
01-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes. You used to be able to pick up pretty hot Turk ammo for next to nothing. I don't know if I would run it in a Hakim, but it worked well enough in mausers. And Olympic (Greek) used to have boxes of really, really nice FMJ at Turners for $5-6 a box, new. I loved using that in my Hakim because it was berdan primed, and I didn't care if it got dinged and dented. :D

From my reading they strongly recommend against running surplus Turkish ammo in a Hakkim. Something about the powder type and how the rifle wasn't designed for it. Supposedly, it can lead to broken extractors. :shrug:

I bought some small, 15 round packs of surplus Yugo from Ammo Bros., the other day and it ran flawlessly. I probably shot 50-60 rounds rounds through it.

Just picked up a spare firing pin, extractor and a gas plug tool off Gunbroker. These seem to be the most commonly replaced parts and darn near everything is getting hard to find.

Anyone have ideas on how to correct the fact that it shoots about 12" high at 100 yards with the rear leaf in the completely folded down position? The front post is not adjustable for height.

Someguy925
01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Supposedly, Turk ammo uses a slow burning powder which generates a lot of pressure. I guess that's why they're suppose to be used only in bolt actions and not recommended for use in any 8mm semi-auto action.

I'll have to give Yugo ammo a try in the Hakim because I was trying to use FNM ammo but I got a lot of FTF with the ammo. Not sure if the firing pin spring needs replacing or its just the ammo (ran good in my FN-49).