PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better trigger for my next AR build

SVTNate
08-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm looking for a single-stage trigger with a light pull and a fast reset... think "custom 1911". That's what I am after.

I see that JP sells a single stage that's already put together.. just drop it in and drift the pins into place.

Chip McCormick also sells one. I have not read feedback about either setup.

I don't care if its adjustable... in fact, I'd prefer to just install it, and not have to mess around with it. Any weight under 4lbs. would be acceptable for the pull.

I've noticed that nobody seems to use the aforementioned trigger setups, which concerns me a bit. Am I the only one who wants a light, crisp single stage trigger on my AR? Should I just give in and pick up a two stage?

Also, is the RRA NM trigger fairly light? It's readily available, and lots of people seem to like them.

C.G.
08-12-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm looking for a single-stage trigger with a light pull and a fast reset... think "custom 1911". That's what I am after.

I see that JP sells a single stage that's already put together.. just drop it in and drift the pins into place.

Chip McCormick also sells one. I have not read feedback about either setup.

I don't care if its adjustable... in fact, I'd prefer to just install it, and not have to mess around with it. Any weight under 4lbs. would be acceptable for the pull.

I've noticed that nobody seems to use the aforementioned trigger setups, which concerns me a bit. Am I the only one who wants a light, crisp single stage trigger on my AR? Should I just give in and pick up a two stage?

Also, is the RRA NM trigger fairly light? It's readily available, and lots of people seem to like them.

I can't comment on the JP, but I heard good things about it. I have a CMC two stage, which is great, no problems whatsover. Supposedly there were some problems with some of them and CMC pulled them off the market. The latest is the Geiselle trigger, Technical Ted likes his, but it is pricey.

50BMGBOB
08-12-2006, 1:34 AM
I like the JARD that I put in mine. 1.5lbs. Went in easy and wasn't hard to adjust. In fact I have another ordered to go in the HAR25 I'm building. We'll see if it gets here before the upper, they are both on order for the last month or so.

grammaton76
08-12-2006, 1:40 AM
I have no idea how much pull it has, but I really like my LMT 2-stage trigger. Feels nice. The 22-bolt-gun guy in my range group gripes about all of my AR triggers except that one - that one, he just notes that I need to buy more of those. :)

On a side note, LMT does sell a version of their LPK which includes that 2-stage trigger. It's kinda nice not to have to buy an extra trigger and hammer when you're just going to replace them anyway...

Taz77
08-12-2006, 6:01 AM
I have the Chip McCormick single stage, straight trigger, and I love it. I'm not too crazy about 2 stage triggers. You are going to have a hard time finding the Chip McCormick and the JP one-piece triggers though. They seemed to have discontinued making them or something, cause everyone's been out of stock for the longest time.

James R.
08-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I have the Chip McCormick single stage, straight trigger, and I love it. I'm not too crazy about 2 stage triggers. You are going to have a hard time finding the Chip McCormick and the JP one-piece triggers though. They seemed to have discontinued making them or something, cause everyone's been out of stock for the longest time.

I wouldn't get the once piece JP if you're even remotely mechanically inclined. They tell you right off the bat that the drop in trigger is inferior (not to mention more costly) to their assemble it yourself version if you really want the BEST feeling trigger JP can offer.

I actually spoke to the guy who designed the triggers and he echo's that statement. We got to talking because I have the JP safety on my gun which unfortuantely doesn't work with the RRA 2 Stage since the 2 Stage requires more travel than most single stagers. When you go to the trigger you come up against the safety cam before the sear releases the hammer, no worky. Fortunately JP really stands behind their products and are going to machine my cam for me to remove 0.027" of metal so that my RRA can break clean. Yes, I suppose I could file it off but that's IMHO ghetto, I'd rather have it machined nice and square esp when they're offering to do it gratis.

Regards,

James R.

Paul1960
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I have a Jewell two-stage trigger which is fully adjustable for both stages. I have the first stage set to three ounces and the second to one ounce - this is on a pure target rifle and I wouldn't recommend this on any rifle used for hunting or other field work. I used a digital trigger scale to measure the thing. You don't squeeze the trigger so much as press it. It's been 100% reliable but as it's not mil-spec I can't trust my life to it nor recommend it for hunting.

The majority of the gain of this trigger comes from a re-engineering of the sear surfaces. There are a couple extra moving parts but if you can install the factory trigger assembly you can do the Jewell. The nice thing is that the trigger's stage weights are adjustable without removing the trigger.

shonc99
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
If you want to be real cheap Brownells sells a replacement spring kit for $4 that lightens the trigger quite nicely. I have had zero probelms with any ammo and the pullis light and clean.

denalion22
08-13-2006, 1:01 PM
go with the RRA stage 2 trigger it is great!! I use it in my SPR

SVTNate
08-13-2006, 4:21 PM
I ended up ordered a single stage JARD from Brownell's, thanks guys!

norbs007
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
IMHO if you want a light, crisp single-stage trigger. A gunsmith installed JP fire control kit is tough to beat. It is pretty much a must have if you shoot 3-gun matches.