PDA

View Full Version : AK butt plate help

santacruzstefan
01-12-2011, 4:21 PM
I bought a new stock from Ironwood designs, however the butt plate from my old stock is too small. The center-to-center length on the screw holes of the old butt plate are 3.3", while the pilot holes on the new stock are 2 3/4" center-to-center. I realize it sounds like the old plate is larger, however it is actually smaller when held up to the stock, by perhaps an eighth of an inch all around (basically lays just on top of the inside "lip" that should fit inside the butt plate).

Anyway, does anyone know what I'm talking about, and where I can get the right sized plate? One member directed me to a site which sells them, but I didn't see the dimensions listed. Also, the stock has a cut out for a trap door, so a properly sized one with this feature would be desirable, although not necessary.

_Z_
01-12-2011, 4:30 PM
Give Ironwood a call and let them know. Maybe they can do something to help you out.

69Mach1
01-12-2011, 4:30 PM
Do you have an AK 74, or AK 47 plate? What rifle was it off of? Ironwoods stocks still require some trimming and adjustments.

santacruzstefan
01-12-2011, 4:35 PM
It was off an SGL-21, so Im guessing 74 style? However, when I picked up the stock from IW, they held up the butt plate they used to fit it/ drill pilot holes. They mentioned certain other areas would need trimming, and indeed they did, but they didn't say anything about this area, and its off by quite a bit, leading me to believe there's another size plate out there that'll work with the stock as is.

slomofo
01-12-2011, 4:54 PM
Was your original butt plate from a plastic stock?

santacruzstefan
01-12-2011, 5:30 PM
Was your original butt plate from a plastic stock?

Yeah, the regular Arsenal stock. Perhaps thats why, its some type of proprietary size?

slomofo
01-12-2011, 7:02 PM
The sling hook is about the only thing you'll be able to swap over from plastic to wood. Even the buttstock screws are usually different between the two (plastic stocks usually have smaller screws).

santacruzstefan
01-12-2011, 7:32 PM
The sling hook is about the only thing you'll be able to swap over from plastic to wood. Even the buttstock screws are usually different between the two (plastic stocks usually have smaller screws).

Do you think, say, surplus butt plates from most wood stocks will fit the one I had made, then?

slomofo
01-12-2011, 7:58 PM
There's multiple different styles of buttplates even in the wood world, but I've noticed that most aftermarket AK stocks are made to fit Romanian parts. I don't know what IWD uses as a basis for fitting, but the chances of it being Romanian are pretty high. I'd pick up a used Romanian buttplate from somewhere. You can usually find a complete wood stock set with hardware for around $15-$20.