PDA

View Full Version : duck season skunk

center_x
01-12-2011, 2:56 PM
Who has had a horrible duck season? Who has paid for a blind without any success??

I've got a tank in the Sacramento area. I paid $550 dollars to have access to it. I've got one stupid hen mallard. That's an expensive duck!!

Granted I've not put the most time into hunting this year, but dang.

Who else has had similar luck this season??

tony270
01-12-2011, 3:11 PM
Well I have an old duck hunting joke for ya, I hope it cheers ya up.

One day a hunter was driving though Taxes with a pickup truck load of ducks. A game warden saw the ducks and pulled the pickup truck over. The game warden walked up to the driver and asked him if he had a hunting license. The driver said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a hunting license, I have a hunting license”, and then he handed him his hunting license.

The game warden looked over the hunting license and then grabbed a duck from the back pickup truck, then he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and smelled and said, “This is a Louisiana duck, do you have a Louisiana hunting license? The hunter said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Louisiana hunting license, I have a Louisiana hunting license”, then handed him the license.

The game warden looked disturbed, then he snatched another duck from the back of the truck and did the same thing, he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and said, “This is a Mississippi duck, do you have a Mississippi hunting license”. The man said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Mississippi hunting license, I have a Mississippi hunting license”, then handed the license.

This time the game warden was madder than before, he snatched another duck from the back of the truck and did the same thing, he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and said, “This is a Alabama duck, do you have a Alabama hunting license”. The man said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Alabamai hunting license, I have a Alabama hunting license”, then handed it to him.

The game warden was supper mad, mad as all get up and said, “Boy where you from”?
The man jumped out the truck and turned around, then he pulled his pants down and mooned the game warden and said “I don’t know, you tell me”.

portegee
01-12-2011, 3:13 PM
When I get to go out we usually do pretty good, but I haven't got drawn for a reservation worth a damn in a while so we've been doing some jump shooting with good success.

Barbarossa
01-12-2011, 3:20 PM
I pay $2500 a season in dues, not including what it cost me to get into the club. (Room, board, and hunting for 12 weeks)

I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I'm shooting expensive ducks as well.

Our average is actually up from last year. Last Saturday we shot 49 birds.

center_x
01-12-2011, 3:22 PM
Tony nice.....portegee, im jealous, were suppose to stay near the tank.

duckman1
01-12-2011, 4:56 PM
We are having a better than average season this year. The extra water really helped out.

lewdogg21
01-12-2011, 5:06 PM
Worst season in 16 years. Currently my tank is still under water after I got to hunt it 3x.

It's depressing...

center_x
01-12-2011, 5:08 PM
Lewd we must have the same tank. Its beyond depressing

Esquire
01-12-2011, 5:09 PM
Well I have an old duck hunting joke for ya, I hope it cheers ya up.

One day a hunter was driving though Taxes with a pickup truck load of ducks. A game warden saw the ducks and pulled the pickup truck over. The game warden walked up to the driver and asked him if he had a hunting license. The driver said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a hunting license, I have a hunting license”, and then he handed him his hunting license.

The game warden looked over the hunting license and then grabbed a duck from the back pickup truck, then he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and smelled and said, “This is a Louisiana duck, do you have a Louisiana hunting license? The hunter said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Louisiana hunting license, I have a Louisiana hunting license”, then handed him the license.

The game warden looked disturbed, then he snatched another duck from the back of the truck and did the same thing, he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and said, “This is a Mississippi duck, do you have a Mississippi hunting license”. The man said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Mississippi hunting license, I have a Mississippi hunting license”, then handed the license.

This time the game warden was madder than before, he snatched another duck from the back of the truck and did the same thing, he stuck his finger in the duck’s but and said, “This is a Alabama duck, do you have a Alabama hunting license”. The man said, “Yes sir, yes sir, I have a Alabamai hunting license, I have a Alabama hunting license”, then handed it to him.

The game warden was supper mad, mad as all get up and said, “Boy where you from”?
The man jumped out the truck and turned around, then he pulled his pants down and mooned the game warden and said “I don’t know, you tell me”.

Good one! I like it. :rofl:

popndrop
01-12-2011, 6:33 PM
I paid $5000 for a blind in Gridley 3 years back, only shot one Spoonie...

sargenv
01-12-2011, 9:19 PM
My club had been dismal for most of December.. though it picked up last week. My average for # of days hunted is 13 days hunted.. mostly Saturdays but I also squeaked in a Friday (Dec 31st) and a few sundays.. My average is 8.3 birds per hunt.. this included ducks and geese. I count regardless if I am hunting by myself or with a guest. One of my guests has been hunting with me three times and all three times we limited out. My other guest has also been three times and the hunt was not at good.. I think one time we got 8 birds between the two of us, one hunt only 4 birds.. and the last about the same. This weekend will be bluebird ish so it may prove dismal unless it gets foggy. The bags have been mixed birds. Pintail, Mallard, teal, Widgeon, and an occasional Gadwall.. we avoid shooting spoonies though a few have fallen into our decoys. I made a double on specks in November and have gotten about a dozen snows all season. This year I will have hunted at least 4 or 5 more days than last season, so my #'s should reflect it. The weather hasn't been all that cooperative..

GVOllie
01-13-2011, 4:32 AM
I haven't been having a great year, but my only draw of the year showed up yesterday. A golden ticket to a prized northern refuge.

curvejunkie
01-13-2011, 1:06 PM
Lots of water in the Los Banos area, and we are having a pretty good shoot this year. Just about every time I go out, 2-4 ducks, mostly spoonies or teal, which is pretty good for me. I really want to try goose hunting!

sargenv
01-14-2011, 6:53 AM
Of all the geese we've gotten, it's all pass shooting. Put some steel into the air, hope something connects, and watch them fall if it does. Real goose hunters (of which I don't count myself among) usually have spreads of goose decoys, actually utilize some kind of call, and generally whack several at a time when they can get a flock to come in. Our club is a Duck club primarily, and we get the occasional goose, pheasant in season, jacksnipe if we want to go chase them, and it holds a good # of coots if we get really bored. Location also helps... and we have a prime location near Willows..

portegee
01-14-2011, 9:21 AM
Lots of water in the Los Banos area, and we are having a pretty good shoot this year. Just about every time I go out, 2-4 ducks, mostly spoonies or teal, which is pretty good for me. I really want to try goose hunting!

That's where I've been going. I haven't been drawing worth a damn this year tho just usually end up in the sweat line

Barbarossa
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Of all the geese we've gotten, it's all pass shooting. Put some steel into the air, hope something connects, and watch them fall if it does. Real goose hunters (of which I don't count myself among) usually have spreads of goose decoys, actually utilize some kind of call, and generally whack several at a time when they can get a flock to come in. Our club is a Duck club primarily, and we get the occasional goose, pheasant in season, jacksnipe if we want to go chase them, and it holds a good # of coots if we get really bored. Location also helps... and we have a prime location near Willows..

Wonder if we are near each other.

Are you on the willow creek ranch?

Chris M
01-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I've only been out hunting once this season, and didn't even get a shot off.
I'm heading up to Sutter with my brother to fill a good low # he drew. And I got a very good reservation # for Sacramento NWR on the 26th.

chris
01-15-2011, 6:34 AM
i had a pretty good season until i got orders sending me to Virginia this week and won't be home til february. and i did have a ressie card today for San Jacinto #7. so it sucked for me since i rarely get drawn and when i do the Army F**** it up for me.

center_x
01-15-2011, 8:31 AM
Looks like im not the only one. The most frustrating thing is the amount of birds in the Yuba/Sac area. I drive home and see thousands of geese and duck just sitting on the water. Why can't they just get up and fly my way.

Good luck to everyone for the remaining of the season.

polojeff
01-15-2011, 2:07 PM
Here in pakistan we just got back from a duck shoot. Between 12 shooters we took 74 ducks in one day. The floods have not diminished their population, unlike so many other animals here.

Clee
01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
That sucks for you NorCal guys. From my experience and from what I'm hearing from fellow hunters SoCal has been good all season. That usually is not the case. Maybe because of all the weather this year the birds came down earlier are quicker than usual. I don't know I'm just speculating.

Even with a crappy season, I'd love to hit he Sac Valley one day...Not to mention Stuttgart. I'm hunting near palm trees and a light coat. To me it doesn't seem like duck hunting...I should be cold, covered in layers, shivering my A off and loving every minute.

Good luck in future seasons for those who had crappy ones this year. NorCal guys shouldn't complain too much, the overall hunting (and fishing) is so much better where you live than where I live.

sargenv
01-18-2011, 6:39 AM
With the fog this weekend.. I managed to scrape up a limit of mostly teal, and a few snows on Sat.. I didn't hunt Sunday but one of the reports out of the club was that sunday saw mixed limits of ducks on our natural part of the club. The fog was so thick I couldn't see to the next levee north or south (about 100 yards or so). When I came home sat evening, I had thick fog from the Willows area all the way to American Canyon.. the satellite showed fog from about Orland to down past Modesto..