PDA

View Full Version : Exemption from 626.9 and Federal GFSZ Law

hgreen
01-12-2011, 2:30 PM
A couple questions for the wise:

1) Has anyone here received a 626.9 exemption letter? If so what was the wording?

2) If someone was to get a letter from a school district super exempting them from 626.9, what additional wording would be required to provide exemption to the feds GFSZ law? (I'm thinking a couple exemptions would be approved programs and contract, but would like some example wording).

Reason for the question:
- I know of one person who has #1 already (just got it, not naming names yet). But we are concerned that it won't cover the Fed GFSZ law.
- South Bay Open Carry is going to be marching in a St Patty's Day Parade in Hermosa in a couple months and we'd like to get similar exemption for just the day of the parade (baby steps) using what we have for one individual as starting point. But we don't want to risk some random federal LEO bystander in the crowd bypassing our local LEOs (who are friendly to open carry) and charging all of us for the federal GFSZ.

My idea is that the parade could be designated a program approved by the school, and so would satisfy the Federal GFSZ law, but if anyone has any actual experience with either 626.9 exemptions (not convictions, already read those stories) and the Federal GFSZ exemptions (not convictions), please share...

hoffmang
01-12-2011, 5:19 PM
Any non school employee is not going to get an exemption.

I am aware of at least one religious school that has granted exemptions to it's own staff.

-Gene

hgreen
01-12-2011, 5:36 PM
Gene,
We already have an exemption from the school district super for an individual who has no relation to the school other than living near it.

I want to make sure its air tight.

Crom
01-12-2011, 6:24 PM
Good luck Harley. It would seem that securing such a letter would be quite the challenge.

hgreen
01-12-2011, 6:48 PM
Good luck Harley. It would seem that securing such a letter would be quite the challenge.

We do have a letter in hand that has been run by an attorney who says its fine for CA law, but they are not 100% on the federal issue. So that's why I was hoping the Calguns Foundation might have a template letter or some experience in this area. The superintendent we are dealing with is very supportive and has already gone through two revisions with us.

If Calguns Foundation wants to jump in and help out to share in this already partial victorious occasion, please let me know.

hgreen
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
So no one on Calguns knows of anyone in CA history to receive exemption letter from 626.9?

I guess SBOC members will be making headlines on this one..

hoffmang
01-16-2011, 11:49 PM
So no one on Calguns knows of anyone in CA history to receive exemption letter from 626.9?

A letter is a letter. If you think there is magic ju-ju here then you're unaware of how the law works. As I said, there is one school I'm aware of that has been advised by the right people.

However, this just seems kind of amusing. 2 schools down. 4000? to go...

-Gene

Liberty1
01-17-2011, 4:34 AM

Back in the ninties a historic reenactment group got letters for each member to bring muskets on school grounds to do blank firing demonstrations.

hgreen
01-17-2011, 8:41 AM
A letter is a letter. If you think there is magic ju-ju here then you're unaware of how the law works. As I said, there is one school I'm aware of that has been advised by the right people.

However, this just seems kind of amusing. 2 schools down. 4000? to go...

-Gene

Probably about as much ju-ju in the exemption letter as in a permit letter for ccw.

Getting a letter from a superintendent for an entire school district is a lot more attainable for most people than a CCW in LA county. Also does not require filling out a questionable form with invasive irrelevant questions.

Where I live there is just one school district and one private school in the city. If i get exemptions for my group from those then the entire city is open carry friendly.

GrizzlyGuy
01-17-2011, 8:58 AM
Probably about as much ju-ju in the exemption letter as in a permit letter for ccw.

Getting a letter from a superintendent for an entire school district is a lot more attainable for most people than a CCW in LA county. Also does not require filling out a questionable form with invasive irrelevant questions.

Where I live there is just one school district and one private school in the city. If i get exemptions for my group from those then the entire city is open carry friendly.

There is more ju-ju in having a CCW license as the license provides for a complete any-legal-purpose exemption from the federal GFSZ law. As you pointed out in your first post, the letter you are seeking can only provide an exemption "for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone" as per the federal GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law). Additionally and obviously, the CCW license applies to all school zones while your letter would only (at best) apply to all the school zones within a school district.

In terms of ju-ju factor, the letter is orders of magnitude down the scale from a CCW license.

hgreen
01-17-2011, 9:01 AM
The key is "a lot more attainable".

How many CCW permits has LA Sheriff given out this year?

Probably on par with 626.9 exemption letters.