View Full Version : 30-06 for my garand

Too Slow
01-12-2011, 1:24 PM
I can't seem to find any. The only site with it says they won't ship to Ventura county for some reason. I've bought tons of internet ammo. Anyone know of anyplace I can get some prior to our new ban?

01-12-2011, 1:26 PM
Go to the CMP. http://www.thecmp.org

They sell Greek surplus .30-06 to the M2 spec, breakfast of champions for the M1 Garand.

Also, they don't care about the ban because it only applies to handgun ammo, so they will continue to ship.

01-12-2011, 1:30 PM

SGammo's one of the few places carrying that stuff, Cabela's might also have it. FWIW, I'd get an adjustable gas plug from Midway, and pick up some cheaper Fiocchi or Prvi.

If you're in Ventura, remember that CMP's ammo is magnetic, so you can't use it at most of the outdoor ranges around.

Mac Attack
01-12-2011, 1:52 PM
Factory ammo that can be shoot safely in a garand will be expensive and hard to find. Your options are to buy factory garand ammo or buy M2 ammo from the Cmp. otherwise you could buy an adjustable gas plug and shoot any round out of your rifle.

01-12-2011, 8:56 PM

Best deal for good 30-06.

01-12-2011, 9:13 PM
The CMP is a great place to get M2 Ball ammo for your Garand. Your next couple options are to order M1 specific ammo (Hornady, Black Hills Gold, Federal)... Federal makes an M1 specific load and their .30-06 Gold Medal Match is also good for the M1. Hornady and Black Hills both make M1 specific loads.

Your next best option is to learn to reload. I have, and primarily shoot my own ammo. You can roll your own for about the same price per round as you get from the CMP, perhaps a little cheaper than them.

Or you can get an adjustable gas plug and, following the directions, shoot pretty much any load you want, factory or reload... as long as it's within SAAMI spec.

Too Slow
01-13-2011, 8:47 AM
I ordered the gas plug, good idea. What do you think about this ammo:

01-13-2011, 8:57 AM
As the previous poster have said,,,don't shoot ammo stronger than surplus in a garand. Its a secret the weapon is weak and requires multiple grease points to fire. The garand requires a gas control valve.

The weak point of ammo is true for all semi-auto rifles. Although the garand requires all grease points to be lubed also.....unlike the AG42 Ljungman semi-auto rifle fitted with a similar control valve..

M1 grease points... http://pnwbands.com/m1garand/greasepoints.html

01-13-2011, 9:34 AM
Hmmm, I would get the CMP stuff. The Iranian 30-06 is berdan primed so you won't be able to use it for reloading, if you decide to start doing that in the future.

I ordered the gas plug, good idea. What do you think about this ammo:

01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
FYI, the SGammo link is the special Garand-safe load. It's good ammo, just expensive. I figured that by the time I got a few hundred rounds, it would pay off to just get the gas plug.