PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Semi/pump swithable Shotgun

Apeman88
08-11-2006, 6:57 PM
Heard from a friend that Benelli makes a shotgun that can be switched from Semi to Pump (to use different types of loads). Been on the Benelliusa site for an hour and can't find it. Does it exist?? Or is this friend full of cr@p? Any other manufacturer makes a semi/pump swithable shotgun?

Ken

xsquid
08-11-2006, 7:10 PM
Your friend is referring to the Benelli M3

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/ben_m3s90.jpg

More info here: http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh15-e.htm

Rawny
08-11-2006, 7:10 PM
It does exist. It's the M3 Convertible (http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/specialpurpose.tpl). The site does not have much details on it thought. Find out a little more about them here (http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh15-e.htm).

Apeman88
08-11-2006, 9:30 PM
Cool!! Thanks! I assume it's available in CA? I'll go check it out tomorrow. :D

Ken

tuna quesadilla
08-11-2006, 9:57 PM
Cool!! Thanks! I assume it's available in CA? I'll go check it out tomorrow. :D

Ken

It's illegal to have a semi-auto shotgun with both a pistol grip and a collapsing/folding stock. Therefore, if you can find one with a fixed stock, it will be legal in CA.

VeryCoolCat
08-12-2006, 8:36 AM
It's illegal to have a semi-auto shotgun with both a pistol grip and a collapsing/folding stock. Therefore, if you can find one with a fixed stock, it will be legal in CA.

The one in that picture is customized, benelli shotguns usually come standard with a fixed stock.

Its WAY easier to find a fixed stock benelli than a folding stock... you usually have to do it yourself.

Apeman88
08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Anyone know how much a M3 (new) go for in CA?

Ken

VeryCoolCat
08-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Anyone know how much a M3 (new) go for in CA?

Ken

$1200 if your lucky $1500 after california shop markup.

dw1784
08-12-2006, 3:04 PM
Super 90 M1, M2, M3, Military&Police Models (imported by H&K at the time) are no longer available. I think you can get Super Eagle 90's and give'em the "tactical" look of the M1 Military&Police model.

*corrections: WRONG. They are available. I was at Turners and I asked about M1 prices. The salesperson says it's available- they aren't called Super90's, just plain M1, M2, M3. Sorry for the wrong info:o

JPN6336
08-12-2006, 3:41 PM
Supernovas are much cheaper but that's because they're pump only, not like the convertible M3 Semi/Pump.

Apeman88
08-12-2006, 3:59 PM
Supernovas are much cheaper but that's because they're pump only, not like the convertible M3 Semi/Pump.

So does this mean "convertible" (semi/pump) versions of the M3 are out of production and no longer available? Called a few gun shops and no one has it. A few even said a semi/pump switchable shotgun does not exist. :confused:

I found 3 on gunsamerica... but alway weiry of purchasing a gun without visual inspection first. Anyone has experience with gunsamerica? I know it's kinda like eBay for guns... but does it have good rep?

Ken

anotherted
08-12-2006, 4:13 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/store/650350116069.html

http://www.lisc.net/p377.htm#bm3c

kantstudien
08-12-2006, 5:41 PM
Ade's Gun Shop in Orange has a used Benelli M3 on consignment. Around $900 I believe, maybe less?

Apeman88
08-12-2006, 5:59 PM
Ade's Gun Shop in Orange has a used Benelli M3 on consignment. Around $900 I believe, maybe less?

Really??!! I was just there picking up my HK P2000SK a few days ago... I'll have to stop by and check it out! thanks!!

Ken

Apeman88
08-13-2006, 10:00 AM
What is the round restrictions on shotguns? Is it 5 rounds? Does it apply to semi only or pumps as well?

I understand the M3 is a 5 round seen on sites they sell a 2 round extension... is this legal in CA?

Ken

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 10:44 AM
What is the round restrictions on shotguns? Is it 5 rounds? Does it apply to semi only or pumps as well?

I understand the M3 is a 5 round seen on sites they sell a 2 round extension... is this legal in CA?

Ken

AS long as it stays under 10 rounds its fine.

thats one reason why the M3 was less popular over the M1 model, the 5 round limit. The M4 has the same problem as the M3, lack of ammunition.

Plus you can't take em hunting.... so the only real appeal was the pistol grip.

Apeman88
08-13-2006, 11:29 AM

I've never hunted with shotguns before... so... why can't you hunt with them? Is it becuase of the setup of the gun (i.e. ghost ring, choke) making it hard to use as a hunting shotgun... or is it because of legal reasons?

Ken

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 1:13 PM
I've never hunted with shotguns before... so... why can't you hunt with them? Is it becuase of the setup of the gun (i.e. ghost ring, choke) making it hard to use as a hunting shotgun... or is it because of legal reasons?

Ken

Barrel length. You have to have a longbarrel shotgun. "Security" shotguns are not long enough.

homerm14
08-13-2006, 2:40 PM
Barrel length. You have to have a longbarrel shotgun. "Security" shotguns are not long enough.

There is nothing that says you can't hunt with a "Security" shotgun. The only regulation I am aware of is capacity (3 rounds max for hunting). Longer barrels have more sight length, and usually tighter chokes making it a little bit more easy to hit a flying target.

By the way I bought an M3 in California about 10 years ago and love it.

M. Sage
08-13-2006, 4:39 PM
There is nothing that says you can't hunt with a "Security" shotgun. The only regulation I am aware of is capacity (3 rounds max for hunting). Longer barrels have more sight length, and usually tighter chokes making it a little bit more easy to hit a flying target.

By the way I bought an M3 in California about 10 years ago and love it.

Depends on what and where you're hunting. If you're after birds in thick woods, you want a shorter barrel, and you don't want a tight choke.

homerm14
08-13-2006, 4:45 PM
Depends on what and where you're hunting. If you're after birds in thick woods, you want a shorter barrel, and you don't want a tight choke.

Agreed. I've hunted with everything from a 20 inch to a 30 inch barrel. It all depends on where and what.

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 5:12 PM
Why Do I remember some regulation requiring a 24" barrel length (and im sure its not 26 overall)

Pokey
08-14-2006, 2:04 PM
I have an M3, good gun but if I had to do it again I would go with the M1. Accessories are easier to come by and unless you are using tear gas/smoke/etc the pump aspect doesn't serve much purpose (you can't clear a jam by going to pump mode, you have to select mode before you fire and can't change until it's back into battery).

Just my $0.02

Josh
08-14-2006, 3:40 PM
I have an M3 I purchased a little over a year ago from Reeds in San Jose. Kind of a off-the-cuff purchase at the time. The purchase price (new at the time) was around $1K. It is an interesting gun, I can switch between auto and manual fairly quickly, and the overall mechanics are simple. So far it has been completely reliable. I do remember a web-site (I think it was www.calssportingarmory.com) where I could purchase a factory 30" barrel for it if I wanted it...they also sold a magazine extender...until Benelli stopped importing them into the US.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/index.php?cPath=123

They sell extension tubes. Just got a 7rd for my m1 from them.

Hunter
08-15-2006, 1:07 PM
AS long as it stays under 10 rounds its fine.

thats one reason why the M3 was less popular over the M1 model, the 5 round limit. The M4 has the same problem as the M3, lack of ammunition.

My factory M3 came with 7 rounds, same as my M1. It all depends on how it was ordered. Also the factory mag extensions are available to add onto those guns with short tubes. Same ones that Benelli installed if you ordered it as such. The M3s ran $200-$300 more than the M1s.

And the part about not using them for hunting is bogus. There is no restrictions on using these guns for hunting. Tha is strictly a matter of preference on the hunter's part to which gun to use, which barrel length to use, ect...
As long as they are limited to 3 rnds while in the field, one is fine for hunting.

Hunter
08-15-2006, 1:12 PM
Why Do I remember some regulation requiring a 24" barrel length (and im sure its not 26 overall)

Not sure what you might have seen, but I assure you that the only barrel restriction is 18". The overall length has to be 26".

My dove/quail gun has a 22" barrel as shipped from Remington. I routinely use the 18" barrel on my benellis for slugs when hunting pigs as well as when hunting turkeys. The short barrel is a lot easier to move in a blind than a longer barrel.

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 1:36 PM
I bought mine about 10 years ago with full mag tube, pistol grip and ghost ring sights for around $900. Absolutely love it. It's my Home Defense gun.

They can still be found if you look hard for them.

The folding stock option was kinda cool, but in reality it really didn't make sense to have a shotgun with a stock that folded over the gun....Kinda dumb.

dw1784
08-19-2006, 5:13 PM
have u guys tried the mini shells in the Benelli?
that's another + for M3, no?

xenophobe
08-19-2006, 6:13 PM
Get the M1 tactical, it's lighter and feels better in your hand. The M3 is overrated. The M1 is a better shotgun.

capitol
08-19-2006, 7:18 PM
The M3 is overrated. The M1 is a better shotgun.

Yea, you say that now, but what happens when I need to shoot bean bags or tear gas LOL...