PDA

View Full Version : NIB Yugos at Reno

tweaker
08-11-2006, 6:25 PM
There are some unassigned Yugos for sale in Reno that have drawn my lust. problem is the grenade launcher. How are the Ca legal ones done?
What would be the procedure to have this done-out of state before shipping to my FFL? Or have it shipped to him and get it done in state? Or don't bother trying?

The seller is not too interested in selling anyhting to Cal residents, but most of the people here are probably Cal residents. I think a little money to make it worth his while, the entire FFL thing seems to be beyond him..

ocabj
08-11-2006, 7:16 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/grenadesightremoval/hs.asp

This needs to be done out of the state of California prior to purchase.

I'd just get a regular Yugo M59 or a Russian version. Why butcher an unissued Yugo M59/66?

Satex
08-11-2006, 7:32 PM
To answer your question, the M59/66 sold in CA have one of two modifications done:
1) Removed launcher, installed muzzle break and tack welded
2) Tack welded a sleeve over the launcher
In any case, the end result should be a fitting at least 1mm larger or smaller than the original adapter.

rkt88edmo
08-11-2006, 8:30 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/grenadesightremoval/hs.asp

This needs to be done out of the state of California prior to purchase.

I'd just get a regular Yugo M59 or a Russian version. Why butcher an unissued Yugo M59/66?

FYI, the above link is to the grenade sight removal, which has no affect on CA legality. Surf the same sight and find the launcher removal articles.

blacklisted
08-11-2006, 9:29 PM
You're better off having a muzzle brake installed or a pipe welded over the GL (then you can install a brake later).

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 9:58 PM
Or, just cut the entire barrel off.

As an FYI, the front sight from a Hi Point 9mm Carbine fits the SKS barrel PERFECTLY...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/Glennstrmi/Picture138.jpg

A member on WarRifles said Hi Point sent him (2) for free, without him even owning a Hi Point rifle... now thats customer service. I think they retail for about $10, and they setscrew on.

Cut the M59/66 down, like I did and like this guy above did, and then silver solder or pin/setscrew the Hi Point sight on, then you don't have to weld it to the gas block like I did, and you get a longer sight radius.

JP

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 9:59 PM
FYI, the above link is to the grenade sight removal, which has no affect on CA legality. Surf the same sight and find the launcher removal articles.

I took mine off since "night vision sights" aren't legal, I didn't want the tritium night sights to be confused for night vision sight or something...

J

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I took mine off since "night vision sights" aren't legal, I didn't want the tritium night sights to be confused for night vision sight or something...

J
What? :confused: Tritium illegal? What are you smoking?? :D

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 10:45 PM
What? :confused: Tritium illegal? What are you smoking?? :D

I know they're not, but I didn't wanna be the test case to prove they're legal, so I took them off along with the bayonet/lug, grenade sights, and grenade launcher, just to be safe. They don't generally work now anyway as most are long since worn out.

J

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I know they're not, but I didn't wanna be the test case to prove they're legal, so I took them off along with the bayonet/lug, grenade sights, and grenade launcher, just to be safe. They don't generally work now anyway as most are long since worn out.

J
The only "night vision" that I know of that is illegal are "sniper scopes." Having an infared illuminator mounted on the rifle with a night vision scope. They offer tritium sights for practically every gun out there, handguns especially. Where are you reading anything about illegal night vision sights?

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Where are you reading anything about illegal night vision sights?

I didn't read about illegal night sights. I know that "sniper scopes" are illegal because they are night vision devices with illuminators. I just wanted to make sure some podunk LEO didn't consider my legal tritium night sights to be "night vision devices" since the tritium was burnt out anyway and they didn't work, there was really no point in leaving them on the rifle. Just more weight/doohickeys to snag on somethin.

JP

P.S. Chopping my gun made it lose almost 2 full pounds! Really REALLY makes it handle more nicelier now (that was on purpouse for smily haha)

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I didn't read about illegal night sights. I know that "sniper scopes" are illegal because they are night vision devices with illuminators. I just wanted to make sure some podunk LEO didn't consider my legal tritium night sights to be "night vision devices" since the tritium was burnt out anyway and they didn't work, there was really no point in leaving them on the rifle. Just more weight/doohickeys to snag on somethin.

JP

P.S. Chopping my gun made it lose almost 2 full pounds! Really REALLY makes it handle more nicelier now (that was on purpouse for smily haha)
Yeah I've been thinking about chopping my Yugo. It is just sooo front end heavy with all that crap up front. Its also scoped now so I don't even need the front sight.

xenophobe
08-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Tritium rifle sights are perfectly legal to have mounted on a firearm.
Passive night vision riflescopes are legal to have mounted on a firearm.
Night vision scopes that require an active IR light source are illegal to mount on a firearm.

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah I've been thinking about chopping my Yugo. It is just sooo front end heavy with all that crap up front. Its also scoped now so I don't even need the front sight.

Always keep your iron sights. Scopes break. Irons don't. At the very least always keep the front, you can do so much in CQB and snap shooting...

Too bad you live so far away. I could chop yours for you in probably 1 hour or less...

I wish there was a way I could do it for all the people out in internet land, but I can't receive the barreled actions to work on and I doubt people will want to drive all the way to my place to have their barrel cut, haha.

JP

P.S. Make it this short: hahaha.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/jpglee1/200394142626_SKS1.jpg
I wanna do a shorty SKS like that, without the fake can, just a 16" barrel, but with the short length gas system.

I did it to an AK kit (which Im trying to sell now) its not a huge job to shorten them up. Just need a lathe.

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Always keep your iron sights. Scopes break. Irons don't. At the very least always keep the front, you can do so much in CQB and snap shooting...

Too bad you live so far away. I could chop yours for you in probably 1 hour or less...

I wish there was a way I could do it for all the people out in internet land, but I can't receive the barreled actions to work on and I doubt people will want to drive all the way to my place to have their barrel cut, haha.

JP

Thanks for the offer. I don't feel it so necessary to have a front sight on my sks as it is not any kind of go-to rifle. It has an el-cheapo NcStar "scope" on it. Really cheap (obviously) 3-9.