PDA

View Full Version : CMP sold out at Reno Show

Hunter
08-11-2006, 6:18 PM
Looks like the CMP booth has essentially sold all of the guns they brought. I only saw around a dozen rack/field M1 and some 1903 left at the end of the day. By 10 am all of the Correct Garands save for 4 were sold.

The bad thing was that the dealers went into the show at 7:30 to set up/get ready. Most where already set to go, so they did their normal pre show inspections. When it came to the CMP booth, the dealers had already cherry picked the first wave of the offerings before anyone got into the show at 9 am.

When the gates open at 9 am, the table was packed with dealers before anybody else could get to it. They bought a lot of guns, all high end. All of the LMR barreled Corrects went out this way.

They had a few C stocked 1903, I picked up one Remington that looks real good, I will need to get it cleaned to really tell. TE/ME 2/1.5

Bottomline is that anyone planning on coming to the show for Sat should not be doing so for the CMP guns as there is nothing left. The few remaining guns on the table at the end of the day all had me/te 4 or more.

They had no more to put out. Sold around 300 in total and all of the ammo save for a few open cans.

TonyM
08-11-2006, 8:03 PM
Wow.

Crazy, hopefully this might save some people some gas and time.

ocabj
08-11-2006, 8:14 PM
Even if they did have rifles, you're better off saving your gas and time and ordering the normal way via mail order.

I don't think it's worth the time and gas to drive up to Reno (from SoCal) just to handpick a Garand. Los Angeles to Reno is 520 mi according to Mapquest, so I'll give that as the average distance to travel for SoCal'ers. Just for a hypothetical estimate:

Say 1050 miles round trip
350 mile per gas tank
16 gallon tank
$3.50 per gallon
Roughly $50 per fillup * 3.5 = $175 on gas
7 hours one way make roughly 14 hours traveling time

Just print out the order form and use a 39 cent stamp.

Of course, if you're going to Reno for more than a Garand, I guess it's worthwhile.

phish
08-11-2006, 8:50 PM
That's kind of f'ed up, it's like when Netscape went IPO back in '94: by the time the regular "plebes" could ante up, the price was at $114 a share. :mad:

I wonder how many of those dealers wound up flipping them.

Timberland
08-11-2006, 8:53 PM
That truly sucks:( I will just have to find somthing better to do while in RENO:)

anothergunnut
08-12-2006, 8:26 AM
I was volunteering at the CMP booth all day. The dealers were there before the show opened to the general public but I don't think that gave them much of a leg up on the guys that were at the door at 9:00. I was putting out lots of FG rifles after 9:00 and I know other volunteers were putting out correct and some bolt guns out as well. I was helping one customer at about 10:00 pick through the field grades; he purchased 8 decent ones that he said he was going to use for his boy scout troop. By about 1:00, all the rifles were out and had been picked over.

The corrects I saw were cosmetically beautiful. Real good wood and blueing. I don't know what the te/mw was like because I was not helping out in that area. The field grades that I saw were a mixed bunch with a lot of very decent, serviceable rifles, especially if you overlooked cosmetics.

VeryCoolCat
08-12-2006, 8:46 AM
he purchased 8 decent ones that he said he was going to use for his boy scout troop.

We all know thats a lie, he just wanted to resell em without seeming like an behind.

metalhead357
08-12-2006, 7:33 PM
Hmmmmmm,
Seem you and I were there at the same time Hunter! I was there/until the last 4 were there! It was amazing to see all the orders!

Were you there when the fella' with the C&R (only) was trying to buy his first from the CMP?

Metalhead

Dr. T
08-12-2006, 8:11 PM
I had waited months to go to the Reno show; had my paperwork notarized and everything.
Then I had to cover a colleague for night call on Friday, so I couldn't get away Friday. Tired this a.m., then had a threat from the drug-crazed brother-in-law, so had to stay home to defend the castle.
I just happened on this post this evening; I was still thinking about going tomorrow.
So it looks like I will
(1) just order by mail
(2) maybe talk to the Garand Guy about getting a rebuilt one

NRAhighpowershooter
08-12-2006, 9:34 PM
Hey Metalhead357...... did you find me a 3 mil receiver????????

metalhead357
08-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey Metalhead357...... did you find me a 3 mil receiver????????

Sorry HPS- Nadda on that front; was in line (at the front) waiting and checking guns for what seemed like an eternity~ an hour later I walked away (to wait some more on processing) on a nice pair of 5.4 mil ones.

When I made it to the table with just the recievers there were only 10 on the table; wandered off to get a diet coke and came back to find two had sold:eek: what was left was 6 SA's and 2 HRA's but IIRC there was a 2.2, 2.4, and some others~ but I didn't see a 3 mil:( I was prepaired to buy too~ I won some dough at Craps the night before:D

Did see a couple of of Garand shooter crew there~ from J to Reynaldo, and I think I saw Ty there but its been what, 2 years since last I saw the guy~ I coulda been wrong so I forwent the howdy.........

Gromulin
08-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Drove all the way up there from the Sac are, only to find a few rack-grade dane's, a beat up '03...and that was it. All the ammo gone Friday.

Well, at least they served cocktails at the show. That was a first for me. A bloody mary on an empty stomach at 10AM really enhaces the gunshow experience.

EOD Guy
08-13-2006, 2:01 PM
I managed to pick out a nice correct grade. One thing to remember is that CMP had to charge Nevada sales tax. For the correct grade, that was $66.38 which is about three time the shipping from Aniston.

At the end of the day I was looking the last Kimber they had but it was too late to add to my correct grade order. I was able to label it for processing Saturday morning. I decided to pass and it was put back on the table and sold within 15 minutes. Orest said they had plenty of Kimbers in Anniston and it would be cheaper to pay the shipping cost rather than the Nevada sales tax.

I also picked up a nice Sistima Colt from a dealer who accepted my C&R FFL.

dwtt
08-13-2006, 2:14 PM
You know, I really wish dealers don't keep buying up CMP M1's for resale. I hope there will be rifles available for the next generation of shooters who are in grade school now. As a hedge, I bought a M1 for my daughter and will give it to her when she turns 18, if she wants it, but I was hoping there would still be CMP rifles available by then. Of course, when CMP runs out of M1's to sell, the dealers will start charging more for the rifles they bought today. :rolleyes:

EOD Guy
08-13-2006, 3:27 PM
You know, I really wish dealers don't keep buying up CMP M1's for resale. I hope there will be rifles available for the next generation of shooters who are in grade school now. As a hedge, I bought a M1 for my daughter and will give it to her when she turns 18, if she wants it, but I was hoping there would still be CMP rifles available by then. Of course, when CMP runs out of M1's to sell, the dealers will start charging more for the rifles they bought today. :rolleyes:

Orest Michaels was a speaker at the Garand Collectors Association in Reno and stated that they have about a two year supply of Garands left. He said that most are the lower grades and they are reaching the bottom of the barrel with no further source in sight.

EOD Guy
08-13-2006, 3:30 PM
Drove all the way up there from the Sac are, only to find a few rack-grade dane's, a beat up '03...and that was it. All the ammo gone Friday.

Well, at least they served cocktails at the show. That was a first for me. A bloody mary on an empty stomach at 10AM really enhaces the gunshow experience.

They did put the best rifles on the table later Saturday morning. They had two consecutiively numbered, new in box, Garands for $25,000 for the pair.

Gromulin
08-13-2006, 4:19 PM
They did put the best rifles on the table later Saturday morning. They had two consecutiively numbered, new in box, Garands for $25,000 for the pair.

Just a BIT over my budget...

Sending my paperwork in tomorrow for a correct grade. From what I saw of the '03 offerings at the show, from the other dealers, I think I'll pick one of those up from gunbroker or the next show in Sac. Seems like what CMP has for $450 is really the bottom of the barrel. I saw quite a few for around $600-$700 that looked fairly good. Not that much more for much nicer rifles.

What were those shotguns CMP had behind the counter? I forgot to ask them.

EOD Guy
08-13-2006, 4:33 PM
If I'd have hit that eighth number on my keno ticket instead of only getting seven, I'd have thought about it. That one number was worth $25,000. I guess I'll have to settle for the $3,500.

Hunter
08-13-2006, 6:55 PM
Just a BIT over my budget...

..... From what I saw of the '03 offerings at the show, from the other dealers, I think I'll pick one of those up from gunbroker or the next show in Sac. Seems like what CMP has for $450 is really the bottom of the barrel. I saw quite a few for around $600-$700 that looked fairly good. Not that much more for much nicer rifles. .......

I was able to pick up a fairly nice Rem 03 with a C stock first thing Friday from CMP but it did have a HS 9-44 barrel.

However, on Saturday, I found a VERY VERY nice 03-A3 Remington with 3-43 Rem 4 groove barrel at a seller's table. All correct except for the Smith Corona buttstock. I took it over to the CMP table and had Tom (CMP's resident 03 expert) run thru it for me. He was quite impressed with the condition. ME was under 2 and TE was at 1.5. He said the stock was in excellent condition and I shouldn't have any problems trading for a correct Remington stock to make the gun 100%.

Paid $450 for it.:D

Hunter
08-13-2006, 7:07 PM
.....At the end of the day I was looking the last Kimber they had ....... Orest said they had plenty of Kimbers in Anniston ......

I second getting the Kimber from Anniston, as you may luck out with a better looking rifle than the ones they had at the show (mostly plain janes). I ordered one a while back and it came with a nice semi figured walnut stock and I was quite pleased, until I made a trip to Anniston last month. At the store, they have a rack full of the kimbers and some have wood on them that are just unbelievable. VERY highly figured walnut with dark swirls covering 50% of the stock. I just could not believe that kind of wood would be put on a gov. contract gun! Also a lot of the Kimbers have a scratch running the length of the buttstocks. This is from the razor blade someone used to open up the original boxes, but there are a few that do not have this. After I saw the wood and the ones without the full length scar, I kind of wished I had waited to pick mine out in person.... but at the time I didn't see going to Anniston.

bahazero
08-13-2006, 9:50 PM
I was able to score a very nice 5 digit Greek Field Grade and a nice 4 mil Greek Grade with an uncut op rod. The good ones were all gone by about 11am. You had to be there early if you wanted something nice. Boy was it was great bring able to handpick the Garands.

50 Freak
08-14-2006, 5:11 AM
I didn't get squat. By the time I got there, 10am Sat. There were only three beat up barreled receivers.

Was a waste of time for me....:mad: :mad: :mad:

NorCalPatriot
08-14-2006, 8:43 AM
Im glad I didnt go either. I wanted to get a couple of cases of greek ammo in clips but that would have been a wash as well.

I thought you werent supposed to "sell" CMP rifles for a period of time after purchase? How do they let dealers go thru everything before the general public?

Kind of defeats the purpose from buying a rifle from the CMP if the same rifle is going to be sold by a dealer at twice the original price :mad:

new cal shooter
08-14-2006, 8:43 AM
Saturday 0915 got a woodless dane, ok condition, but was able to find a big pile of stocks to figer thru, so got all my wood and hardware and assembled my first M1 from parts, that was worth it, and LOTS of very nice people, next year 0' dark thirty i'll be there on friday! Saw 5 greek FG on the table, a guy came up, did'nt even pick each one up, just said, "sold" to all at once, and that was it for the greeks....

50 Freak
08-14-2006, 9:48 AM
Man it sucks....These guys buy rifles 5-10 at a time then flip them for 2 to 3 times what they paid for them.

Worst part is there are people stupid enough to buy these guns.

It's one thing to pay a premium for John Garand's personal M1, but to buy one out of 9million something Garands....Not alot of collectability in it in my opinion (don't confuse history with collectability).

30Cal
08-14-2006, 10:45 AM
How do they let dealers go thru everything before the general public?

Kind of defeats the purpose from buying a rifle from the CMP if the same rifle is going to be sold by a dealer at twice the original price :mad:

The dealers didn't get any opportunities that everyone else missed out on. They got a first look at the first three or four dozen rifles out of the boxes and that's it.

Once the show opened, rifles were being taken off the table and replaced constantly. I stopped by the table at 30 minute intervals and each time over half the rifles had been turned over and replenished with different ones out of the shipping crates (which the dealers didn't get to look in). This was so much better than the North Store where the rifles selection is basically stagnant. I let one of the volunteers know that I was interested in one with a new barrel to use as a JCG shooter. Any time he pulled one from the crate, he'd gage the muzzle and tell me what it was. I passed up a really nice one that gaged at 2 and thought long and hard about one he handed me that was a crisp 1.

I found at one end of the table a badly beaten stock. It had been sitting there 10 minutes and nobody would touch it, but the finish looked GI and not Greek. The breech of the barrel was in the white (indication of original finish). I grabbed it and looked at the muzzle--it looked new. I took a closer look at the receiver--looks like there's no wear on it. The volunteer checked the muzzle-->MW=0. He wanted to check the breech end, but I told him not to bother; it's a new barrel. I took it home.

30Cal
08-14-2006, 11:01 AM
5.4mil SA GK RG
That's a Boyd's handguard--the wood on this rifle was trashed.

Where's the wear?

50 Freak
08-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Man, I would have liked to pick up a decent Garand....Been wanting to play BOB (Band of Brothers) for a while now.

Boy, was I disappointed I couldn't even pick up a Garand. I'm even thinking of going to the Camp Pendleton shoot to try my luck.

Or maybe, I'll just do it the old fashion way....ordering it through the mail.
:confused: :confused:

30Cal
08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd go to Camp Pendleton. Let one of the volunteers know what you're looking for--a good shooter, or a wwii rifle or something with correct finish and parts, etc. They'll be more likely to take a second looking in the shipping crate rather than just reaching in blindly.

Ty

30Cal
08-16-2006, 1:49 PM
Was poking around on the forum at the CMP page. It sounds like Western Games will be run like it was at Reno--they put what fits on the table, then add more as they sell. Should be lots of opportunities to find tasty nuggets of M1 goodness.

ty

stevie
08-16-2006, 2:06 PM
Would assume that you should get there early if going to the Games for sole purpose of getting a rifle. CMP will pull out rifles from the top of the box and not cherry pick. Even the volunteers could not look through the boxes before the show. At least thats how it was at the first Games.

anothergunnut
08-16-2006, 3:23 PM
Stevie is right that the volunteers did not get to rummage through the boxes. As I pulled them out, I took a couple seconds to look it over to decide if I wanted it and that was it. The guys standing at the tables waiting had better opportunities because they got all the time in the world to look at it while I had to dig into the box for the next one. At the first Western Games I picked out a nice HRA SG but there were many more I put out that were just as nice as what I selected. At the end of the day, I picked out a Winchester RG M1917 that had been sitting there all day.

ocabj
08-16-2006, 7:11 PM
If you guys haven't been to the first two Western Games in May and Nov of 2005, they pretty much start selling after the day's shooting is done on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Rifles on the table and you pretty much get in line to get to the table since there's quite a few people trying to jockey for position.

I do think that the CMP should give priority to those who actually shot in the day's match to get to the tables first since all the people who are there just for rifles are already in front of the tables before the shooters are even back from the firing line with all their gear.

stevie
08-16-2006, 7:21 PM
Pretty much the reason for selling after the shooting, is to give the shooters a chance for the rifles.

ocabj
08-16-2006, 7:30 PM
Pretty much the reason for selling after the shooting, is to give the shooters a chance for the rifles.
Yeah, I understood that was the point, but all the non-shooters who just came on base for rifles are already camping the tables before the day's shooting is over.

I think it would be a good way to increase the shooter participation. We need the Western Games to grow.

stevie
08-16-2006, 7:34 PM
Thats true, the crowd gathered early. Hopefully the CMP will bring more rifles. Its is a little discouraging for rifles to run out the first day on a 3 day event.