PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting

sheriff
08-11-2006, 6:04 PM
just checking with all the dove hunters out there to see where you are going to on opening day? where is your favorate place to hunt doves? and what shotgun do you use? ...thanks Ivan

caliar15
08-11-2006, 6:57 PM
I hunt on my parents place in santa cruz county with a 12 or .410 depending on my mood.

scootergmc
08-11-2006, 9:21 PM
Private property.... :D Limit every night...

moulton
08-11-2006, 9:44 PM
i want to get into dove, qual and other bird hunting. I have got a remington 870 12 guage and a hunting licence with upland game stamp. Anyone gone hunting in the North bay area? :o

CalNRA
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
I hunt on my parents place in santa cruz county with a 12 or .410 depending on my mood.

you guys out in the hills or down south? I miss the old place my folks had, it was in the Aptos hills and birds were a-plenty.

caliar15
08-12-2006, 7:52 PM
you guys out in the hills or down south? I miss the old place my folks had, it was in the Aptos hills and birds were a-plenty.
Corralitos, the property next to us recently sold and I was afraid they would be anti-, then after a week I heard the sweet sound of gunfire:D .

sargenv
08-12-2006, 8:18 PM
Normally we'd head up to the Colusa area every year, Dad and I. He knows someone who usually has Safflower planted and a kind of lake/farm pond. But this year we probably won't make it as Mom is going in for some surgery this week and she won't be all better till like October. It'll be one of the few season openers I've missed since I was 12. I'm 39 now. This will probably be dad's 3rd or 4th opener he's missed since the 60's. We may try to make the second opener that usually starts the same morning as Pheasant season. One year we had a limit at 8 am, last year it was slim pickings.. I think we got 4 or 5.

Vince

1clicc
08-13-2006, 6:27 PM
Normally we'd head up to the Colusa area every year, Dad and I. He knows someone who usually has Safflower planted and a kind of lake/farm pond. But this year we probably won't make it as Mom is going in for some surgery this week and she won't be all better till like October. It'll be one of the few season openers I've missed since I was 12. I'm 39 now. This will probably be dad's 3rd or 4th opener he's missed since the 60's. We may try to make the second opener that usually starts the same morning as Pheasant season. One year we had a limit at 8 am, last year it was slim pickings.. I think we got 4 or 5.

Vince

WOW! Really?, I live in Yuba City and never went to Colusa to shoot birds before, where is this place in Colusa that you are talking about? I saw a field filled with Safflowers about 10 to 30 yards away from Highway 20 and behind the safflowers there's like a whole fields of tomato plants, not sure if they'll let people hunt there. Today my two brother-in-law and I went to Cache Creek Wildlife Area on Highway 16 off of highway 20 and i tell ya, when we drove along highway 16 there is a tons of birds flying off from the side of the road to the fields. WOOT!! i've never seen that many birds before. Than again up in Spenceville Wildlife Area people are saying that there are a tramendous amount of birds there and the place always gets the 1st place for dove hunt in the books every years. I've never hunted in the morning at spenceville only in the afternoon so when i get there in the afternoon there are less birds than in the morning people say. So i'm looking foward to Spenceville this season in the morning this time and OH! there will be a lot and a lot of peole there so may the best shooter be limit first.

sheriff
08-13-2006, 7:45 PM

410 caliber must be easy to hit dove with .....i never thought santa cruz have alot of doves..ivan

jdberger
08-13-2006, 7:59 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to hunt dove or quail since I moved here. Is there anywhere reasonably close to the SF Bay Area where the genereal public can hunt?

eckerph
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I live on Beale and spencville is right behind my house and i have yet to see any doves anywhere. I keep reading on the net how good this place is but ive never seen many birds out that way, I also asked the guy at the gun club on base where a good place is for dove is and he told me the hunting area on base is pretty good but here again i havent seen any dove on base either. I use to hunt in porterville back in the day and Let me tell ya that was non stop shooting from daybreak till about 10:00 in the morning.

1SGMAT
08-14-2006, 4:07 PM
I have hunted spencville for years. Its hot and cold and really depends on how much and where they plant the safflower. It was the best place in 2000 and was posted as such in wing beat news. After that it has been a combat shoot. Get there early.

On this topic. I will be camping at calaveras caverns on the 1st. Does anyone know any public land in the area that holds dove and is huntable.

CalNRA
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Corralitos, the property next to us recently sold and I was afraid they would be anti-, then after a week I heard the sweet sound of gunfire:D .

sweet. do you guys have good game out there? I'll be up for paying a bit for a round or two of doves....

I can see the sign: "will work for place to hunt" :LOL:

sheriff
08-16-2006, 4:52 PM
i thought i add more to this post are there anyone headed to imperial county or arizona? like around yuma? this weekend i plan to scout niland and calexico....ivan

mdhpper
08-16-2006, 5:16 PM
Imperial Valley, most likely Calexico. I'll be shooting my Beretta 391 Xtrema 3.5 12ga

Rumpled
08-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Looks like I'm headed to near El Centro.
I went once to the area on WU property and had a real bad experience (not really, just a reall crappy property for dove and miserably hot)
This time I'm going with a bud who's done well out there before and we'll be scouting on the 31st. Also, I'm staying in a motel and not camping.

I hope to be returning home on the 2nd with 20 doves (some whitewing?) and maybe even some Eurasians if we can sort out the law on that.

Vigilante
08-17-2006, 9:24 PM
I use to hunt in porterville back in the day and Let me tell ya that was non stop shooting from daybreak till about 10:00 in the morning.

I go out to Porterville opening day every year w/ my Browning BPS 20 gauge (best pump gun ever). The past five years or so haven't been all that good, at least compared to 8-10 years ago.

Python2
08-18-2006, 8:07 AM
......So i'm looking foward to Spenceville this season in the morning this time and OH! there will be a lot and a lot of peole there so may the best shooter be limit first.

Where is Spenceville Wildlife Area if I may ask? I have hunted Cache Creek before and there is a small flat area as you go up the hiking trail where some of the birds congregate. I even saw a pig early morning once.

sargenv
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Spencville is on the north eastern edge of the AFB up in the Marysville area.. Beale I think?

Vince

MadMex
08-18-2006, 7:17 PM
Yuma!!!!!!

Hunter
08-18-2006, 9:33 PM
Yuma!!!!!!

+1,000,000:D :D

eckerph
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Spencville is on the north eastern edge of the AFB up in the Marysville area.. Beale I think?

Yup, right outside my kitchen window. Pass the barb wire fence and "warning, this is a goverment Blah Blah Blah" signs.:rolleyes:

http://www.gv.net/~spenceville/ care full for unexploded ordnance,Spencville use to be a firing range during WW2. They found a grenade on base not too long ago, and i guess they find stuff pretty regular around here.

caliar15
08-20-2006, 6:43 PM
410 caliber must be easy to hit dove with .....i never thought santa cruz have alot of doves..ivan
Actually .410 IS the bore size unlike the other "gauges" and yes there are alot of doves and quail here:p .

sheriff
08-27-2006, 4:49 PM
ok guys 5 days till opener...wish all good luck! bring ammo and water oh yeah body armoe for those who plan to hunt on BLM land ..last year in el centro on opening day talked to a ranger at a checkpoint he said 2 guys was shot by accident holly molly ...we need more land well thats another topic.....ivan

sargenv
08-27-2006, 5:05 PM
Well, turns out Dad somehow got out of taking care of mom and is picking me up at 4 am Friday morning. We'll probably be gone from the area for about 8 hours. We'll shoot the opening morning and see if we can scrape together a few limits then beatle bailey on home with a side trip to Guns, hunting, and other stuff in Vacaville after the hunt for a few cases of 7.5's for the match the next day in Sacramento. :) Oh damn, I forgot, I need to get my license now! :eek:

I'm sure all of you will post your hunting reports? :cool:

Vince

moulton
08-27-2006, 6:22 PM
Whoa...It snuuck up on me, anyone know of a good place up in the north bay:p

eckerph
09-04-2006, 2:53 PM
Did anyone ever make it to Spencville? if so how was the shooting? I've noticed alot of birds around here even after the first.

ivanimal
09-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Bakerfield next weekend, or the forests thereabouts. If my guide, friend:D gets off of his merchant marine duty on time. Otherwise its Calusa with a Berreta 12 ga. OU. and Zeke the dog.