PDA

View Full Version : SKS Purchase/Legality???

Patriot
08-11-2006, 5:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking into purchasing a SKS. My understanding is that SKS rifles are CA-legal providing that they are not equipped with a detachable magazine and/or any of the following: "grenade launcher' (I assume this refers to an attachment for utilizing rifle grenades?), flash suppressor, or bayonet/mount. Is this correct?

I'm considering getting a Yugo M59/66 series SKS. Many dealers will not ship these to CA, thus I assume that they - in their default form - possess 'illegal' features... Specifically, I assume this refers to the grenade attachment/flash suppresser/bayonet. Am I correct? Would it be feasible to have these features removed prior to purchase without impairing functionality?

Which ones (Russia, China, Yugo, etc.) have the best reputation for quality/reliability?

Thanks,

-Patriot

RobT2K
08-11-2006, 6:00 PM
I think it's AIM that sells them with some kind of tubing welded over the so called grenade launcher and making it inoperable and very ugly. But it is only the launcher that makes the 59/66 CA illegal.

Blue
08-11-2006, 6:03 PM
Bayo's are legal. If you search AuctionArms.com or Gunbroker.com there's a few people there that sell the M59/66's with the 'nade launcher cut off. Where are you located? I know a few of the local shops around where I live (San Jose) sell SKS's.

The Soup Nazi
08-11-2006, 6:03 PM
Bayonets aren't evil. Russian ones (such as mine, bwahaha) are considered the most desirable for collector's value, chromelined barrel, and are thought to be more accurate. Chinese are right behind, though these vary from the commercial clones although while they may not be as desirable and cost less, they have spike bayonets instead of the blade types, some are considered in the same league as the Russian ones in terms of accuracy. Then you have the Yugoslavian ones which are considerably cheaper, but again, you have to deal with that grenade launcher and the Yugoslavian SKSs don't have chromelined barrels, while the Chinese and Russian ones do.

Blue
08-11-2006, 6:05 PM
Look for an M59, no grenade launcher :D

Shane916
08-11-2006, 6:42 PM
Look for an M59, no grenade launcher :D

indeed. thats what I have. looks and performs well :D

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Bayonets aren't evil. Russian ones (such as mine, bwahaha) are considered the most desirable for collector's value, chromelined barrel, and are thought to be more accurate..

What year is yours?

Only reason I like russo or sino-soviet ones over yugos is that the russo ones are usually true C&R, pre 1956 and can be sold face to face, cash and carry.

I dig the old hardware that you can F-2-F legally with.

J

The Soup Nazi
08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
1954 Tula. And I thought Yugos were supposed to have C&R status because there supposedly weren't that many of them (of course thats a lie if they go for 200 a pop at worst case)

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
1954 Tula. And I thought Yugos were supposed to have C&R status because there supposedly weren't that many of them (of course thats a lie if they go for 200 a pop at worst case)

Yah, they are C&R, but they can't be transfered face to face, they have to be DROS'd thru an FFL....It would be killer if that wasn't required.

I'm looking forward to 2009, then all the early M59s will be F-2-F legal.

Thats why I dig M1 Garands, 1903s, M1 Carbines, Carcanos, Enfields, anything pre 56 long gun.

I'm trying to find a pre 1956 pump shotgun right now...

J