PDA

View Full Version : Centurion By Libery (14 gun and 22 gun) @ Lowe's

garrettbarth
01-12-2011, 7:28 AM
Just so you all know Lowe's sells the Centurion by Liberty gun safes in a 22 gun and 14 gun capacity. I am the manager for the store in Hanford, CA and we have sold the daylights out of these, I try to keep extra on hand at all times. The smaller one sells at $427 but goes on sale a couple times a year for about $100 off. The larger one is priced at $727 and goes on sale for $130 off. I have this safe and I love it. I would recommend it as a great 30 min fire safe. The larger one even has an S&G lock. I have had even locksmiths tell me that their dealer cost is more than our retail. Come check these out at most Lowe's locations.

69Mach1
01-12-2011, 7:49 AM
Great, thanks. When do the smaller ones go on sale?

SoCal Bob
01-12-2011, 8:45 AM
Both were just on sale (Nov & Dec). I bought 2 more of the smaller safes, one for ammo and the other for the In-Laws to store the .22 rifles we gave them for Christmas.

I just got a coupon from Lowe's for 18 month interest free financing if you use their card (which I have.) The 18 month offer probably applies to new card holders too. I usually wait for these offers to make major purchases and then budget it out, I haven't paid interest yet.

Fyathyrio
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Does the larger one include the shelves like shown on the manf site or are they extra?

garrettbarth
01-12-2011, 4:50 PM
They were just on sale but if you ask they may honor the sale price. Depends on the location, manager, etc... They both come with shelves and many options to configure. If you are in Hanford I would Honor the sale prices.

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-12-2011, 5:51 PM
Just remember guys. they may be liberty who is a well known MFg. but these are the cheapest ones they mfg, china as well if i remember. Their burglary protection is minimal.

garrettbarth
01-12-2011, 7:36 PM
It may be "their" lower end but it's good enough to put the name Liberty on the front. Once again the 22 has a S&G lock that can be locked with a key to avoid being fooled with, internal hinges,1" bolts, etc.. It can be bolted to the floor. This is more than sufficient for most people. Most thieves are going to move on to another house where the guns aren't locked up. This also keeps the guns away from the kids. They are sharp looking too.

garrettbarth
01-13-2011, 9:26 AM
18 month zero interest starts today 1/13/11 and goes through 1/17/11 on purchases over $397.00 for MLK weekend sale.

glockaxis
01-13-2011, 4:30 PM
I've pondered purchasing one of these whenever I go to Lowes but I keep on going back to Sturdy Safes and saving up for one of theirs.

chansen49
01-14-2011, 9:42 AM
Get a 10% off coupon from the post office .. I paid 287.00 OTD for the 14 gun one..

FWIW

para38super
01-14-2011, 9:45 AM
Get a 10% off coupon from the post office .. I paid 287.00 OTD for the 14 gun one..

FWIW

coupon? how?

vietcious
01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Darn... doesnt sell at my zipecode 91306 location...

craneman
01-14-2011, 6:25 PM
Hey guys, I think you shoud know this safe is NOT Ca DOJ approved. I have seen this very model in person, and I can say that I am not impressed. It is an OK value for the money, but it just simply is not up to the task of stopping a tweeker with a prybar. If they have a floor model out, ask them to remove the cardboard/carpet backing to the door (6 screws). So you can look at the locking mechanism yourself. The 4 bolts that it does have are rivited to a piece of "L" channel and NO support for the bolt itself. Sure the bolt is 1", but it has NO support either in or outside the door. I could bend it out of shape with a vice grip. There are no bolts on the hinge side of the door. The outer shell is like 14 gauge sheetmetal with drywall backer, thats it. The bolts are linked DIRECTLY to the lock with a THIN piece of steel tab that drops in to unlock. It is very susceptable to a punch attack. There is no support for the bolts on the door jamb when they are in the locked position. Once again just the 90 degree bends of the 14 ga. sheetmetal for rigidity. No drill plate forhte lock mechanism. In all seriousness it is better than nothing. It will keep the kids out. It MIGHT keep out someone who is clueless. It will not stop a halfway decent thief. It is good for the money that they sell for. Just want people to be aware of what they are getting. They are made by Liberty, but if you go to thier website, they will tell you there are differences in the "discount store models" vs. the dealer sold Liberty Centurian. Bolt it down well (hint, use BIG washers) the floor is thin and I am pretty sure I could pull the bolts through the floor sheetmetal just by using its own weight to tip it over.:rolleyes:

garrettbarth
01-14-2011, 9:39 PM
This is right off their website. We carry a centurion 14 and a centurion 22. As it reads here anything centurion 17 and above is UL approved and S&G. This is entry level but it is far better than a lot of entry level stuff out there. I would go with the model 22 .

Fire protection is even upgraded with 62,000 BTUs and an extra layer in the ceiling and door. Most other brands only have one and less BTU fire protection. Rest assured, when you're looking for extra value with more features, choose Centurion by Liberty. NOTE: The Centurion Deluxe versions of the CN20, CN23 & CN30 models are all Made in the USA. The CN17 is made offshore.

FIRE PROTECTION
•62,000 BTUs and more fireboard than the competition - including 30 minutes @ 1200°F (Some retailers may carry the CE12 economy model-not shown. It includes one layer of 5/8" fireboard or 55,000 BTUS)
•Palusol heat-expanding seal included on all models, expanding up to 7 times it size in a fire at 212°F. Don't settle for inferior door seals used on cheaper safes.

SECURITY
•All Centurion safes 17CF and above have been awarded UL Residential Security Container burglary classification
•Triple case hardened steel plates protect lock from drill attack
•Defensive barrier of four (CN17) to eight (CN20, CN23 & CN30) 1" diameter bolts
•Cam-drive bolt locking mechanism with slip clutch handle
•UL Listed S&G™ Group II lock

STYLE & FUNCTION
•Durable gloss textured black finish with satin chrome hardware (17 and 20 models have single point handle, while the 23 and 30 include 3-point)
•Upholstered 3-in-1 Flex™ interior in gray fabric. (SPECIAL NOTE: The CN17 & CN20 interiors include a Double Sportsman rack to allow for more guns to be stored).
•Available in 17, 20, 23 and 30 size models

safeexpert
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
FINALLY..... In regards to gun safes, I'm going to help everyone on this website once and for all! This site is great for gun info and some comments are helpful with regard to gun safe info but for the most part there is MASS misinformation about gun safes here. There is four things to look for when buying a gun safe. And these four things are on commercial grade safes, real safes, not gun safes. Here they are....

1) Step System door that seals on five levels in fires. 99% of gun safes have flat doors that only seal on one level. (not built like a real safe)... You need a gun safe with step doors like a vault door or TL rated safe. This secure you door will REALLY seal in a fire.

2) 1/4" Steel bodies (most gun safes have 1/8" bodies).... 1/4" is thick enough so it can't be cut through with anything less than a cutting torch.

3) 3/4" or 1" steel frame. This is what protects the bolts. Gun safes have 1/8" to 3/16" frames that aren't too hard to pry open. 3/4" steel frames are near impossible to pry open!

Anything less than what I just described is not built like a real safe. Period. By the way, it only costs about $500 more to get a good quality safe. Happy gun safe shopping!!!!

Cokebottle
01-21-2011, 4:24 PM
2) 1/4" Steel bodies (most gun safes have 1/8" bodies).... 1/4" is thick enough so it can't be cut through with anything less than a cutting torch.
Maybe of you buy your tools at the 99 cent store.

I drill through and cut 1/4" steel all the time.

tlillard23
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
don't buy a safe..... :rolleyes:

Jack L
02-04-2011, 9:20 AM
Just so you all know Lowe's sells the Centurion by Liberty gun safes in a 22 gun and 14 gun capacity. I am the manager for the store in Hanford, CA and we have sold the daylights out of these, I try to keep extra on hand at all times. The smaller one sells at $427 but goes on sale a couple times a year for about $100 off. The larger one is priced at $727 and goes on sale for $130 off. I have this safe and I love it. I would recommend it as a great 30 min fire safe. The larger one even has an S&G lock. I have had even locksmiths tell me that their dealer cost is more than our retail. Come check these out at most Lowe's locations.

I bought the Centurion D-20, the larger one of the two on sale at Lowe's. I am super happy with it. It is approved too as I wrote Liberty and they said it was for sure. I drove it home and got it into my office by MYSELF. Try that. I used some good piano dollies but even so, one screw up and it would be ugly. I had to pull it halfway out of my camper shell with my tractor!

A great safe at a great price. Thanks Lowe's!

brianinca
02-04-2011, 9:36 AM
"Approved by the DOJ" means nothing, you just have to have a safe that meets the enumerated requirements. As for complaining about the safe, if your collection is so valuable that the Mission Impossible team is after you, then I'm sure you need the DefCon I nuclear blast proof safe.

Around here, the stolen firearms come from people leaving them under the bed or in their closets. I've never heard of even a sheetmetal gunsafe being opened by regular old burglars. Anyone who's lost firearms from a safe knows it was a family member with the combo - and a lot of times charges are never brought.

Those sound like very good value for money, and it's nice to have a manager from a national chain dropping by and giving gun people a head's up about availability and price.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Jack L
02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
"Approved by the DOJ" means nothing, you just have to have a safe that meets the enumerated requirements. As for complaining about the safe, if your collection is so valuable that the Mission Impossible team is after you, then I'm sure you need the DefCon I nuclear blast proof safe.

Around here, the stolen firearms come from people leaving them under the bed or in their closets. I've never heard of even a sheetmetal gunsafe being opened by regular old burglars. Anyone who's lost firearms from a safe knows it was a family member with the combo - and a lot of times charges are never brought.

Those sound like very good value for money, and it's nice to have a manager from a national chain dropping by and giving gun people a head's up about availability and price.

Regards,
Brian in CA

I think that the approval ratings are good for insurance purposes.

You are correct. Burglars do not spend much time in a house and a good safe works perfect. The only buglers that are well equipped and are serious about safes already know it's worth it like major coin, stamp, antique firearms, jewelry collections and that kind of thing owned by know mega wealthy folks. No every day bugler is going to bust his chops trying to get at a half dozen firearms when the street price for stolen arms is not all that great anyway. Not to mention if he gets caught inside your house by the owner and the owner was smart enough to have a handgun hidden for quick access, they could be killed or seriously wounded. Those CCW films we all saw in training had the buglers stating they wanted nothing to do with the people who live in the house.

Cokebottle
02-04-2011, 4:29 PM
"Approved by the DOJ" means nothing, you just have to have a safe that meets the enumerated requirements.
Exactly.
People lose sight of this, in no small part because every "listed" safe has a big "DOJ Approved" flag in the Turner's ad, and often sticker on the door in the showroom....

But not unlike the assault weapons laws, safes that qualify for the California Safe Affidavit can qualify both by listing and "by feature".

The Safe Affidavit has two check boxes. Check the one that matches your safe. If your safe is listed, check the first box. If not, then it must meet ALL of the following standards:

(a) Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
(b) Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength.
(c) Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least ˝ inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
(d) A gun safe shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum one layer of 7-gauge steel plate reinforced construction or at least two layers of a minimum 12-gauge steel compound construction.
(e) Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf
I think that the approval ratings are good for insurance purposes.
It's possible that some insurance companies offer a discount on your rates, but probably not all, and either way, it's not going to make a difference in your claim if your guns are stolen.

Jack L
02-05-2011, 8:08 AM
Exactly.
People lose sight of this, in no small part because every "listed" safe has a big "DOJ Approved" flag in the Turner's ad, and often sticker on the door in the showroom....

But not unlike the assault weapons laws, safes that qualify for the California Safe Affidavit can qualify both by listing and "by feature".

The Safe Affidavit has two check boxes. Check the one that matches your safe. If your safe is listed, check the first box. If not, then it must meet ALL of the following standards:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf

It's possible that some insurance companies offer a discount on your rates, but probably not all, and either way, it's not going to make a difference in your claim if your guns are stolen.

I'll have to ask my insurance people but I was not thinking guns but other items in the safe. If I had a lot of $, I'd buy one of those huge high quality safes and stash all my guitars and items like that in there too. Those big double door safes are way cool in this day and age. But man, they cost $$.

Saym14
02-05-2011, 8:53 AM
i was not impressed with the Lowes combo dials. maybe its just me but it took me three or four tries to get it open.

Jack L
02-05-2011, 9:27 AM
i was not impressed with the Lowes combo dials. maybe its just me but it took me three or four tries to get it open.

I understand what you are saying.

They do not work like ones you may be used to, it uses a different sequencing than 'normal'. The guys in the store could not even open it and either could potential buyers. The reason was no one read the directions, they only read the combination numbers. I read the directions and opened it the first time. It's has to do with the amount of times you skip each number, or not and if you clear it before you start. It's set up different on purpose I think to throw off anyone who should not be opening it. Mine works flawlessly, easy too, after you memorize the sequence.

Also, the more expensive model is a much better built mechanism than the less expensive model. The salesperson told me not to buy the small less expensive model. I'm 110% stoked on my safe.

whisperingdoom
02-11-2011, 2:13 PM
operator error.

Jel
02-17-2011, 2:27 PM
Eye Dee Ten Tee Error

ID10T :)

MadRiverArms
02-18-2011, 2:01 PM
Swap it out for a biometric/key pad combo. Much easier to swipe a finger then enter the code IMO.

-G

fong0067
02-18-2011, 2:51 PM
Anyone know when the Centurion 20 will go on sale again?