View Full Version : Saw this possible M1 Garand on another forum

01-12-2011, 1:12 AM
Just want to confirm that rifle is a sporterized/cut-down Garand so I can cry.

01-12-2011, 1:49 AM
Looks more like a M1A Scout Rifle.

Besides, what's wrong with a "cut down" Garand.

01-12-2011, 2:22 AM
Looks more like a M1A Scout Rifle.

It is. There is a magazine release on it.

01-12-2011, 4:51 AM
Looks to me that it could be a Garand tanker 308 mag conversion

B Strong
01-12-2011, 5:01 AM
It's a cut-down M1A variant.

Over the years lot's of Garands have been modified into the "tanker" configuration, and it's a legitimate, useful rifle.

Unless somebody got their hands on a never-fired, all orioginal Garand and cut the thing down would it bother me.

Back in the 60's, you'd most often encounter "tanker" Garands built on rewelded receivers, and that's where I believe some of the ill will towards "tankers" developed - not every example would run.

The later 1980's Springfields (new manufacture) and the Arlington Ordnance rebuilds changed that.

01-12-2011, 6:05 AM
I agree that the rifle in question is a shortened M1A.
There are nothing wrong with shortened Garands, the so called "Tankers". Mine started its present life as a CMP ranck grade woodless Dane with a shot out barrel. Nice thing about Tankers, they can be put in different attire for different occassions.
As it is now.

Aleternate stocks:

01-12-2011, 6:52 AM
nope, M1A Scout. You can see the scout rail, cutout in the stock for the bolt release.

The front sight has been replaced with a smith enterprise's hooded front site and a different muzzle device.

showing the bolt release cutout

showing the Scout forward rail
https://www.onpointsupply.com/images/springfield_armory_m1a_scout_squad_3.jpg *not me, just a random internet picture.

01-12-2011, 7:25 AM
I usually cringe at sporterized military weapons and am a Garand fanatic myself, but I see nothing wrong with a tanker since they can be converted right back to original configuration with a new barrel, op rod, and appropriate stock. I'd own a tanker if I had the money to buy one. From what I've seen Tim Shufflin makes the best example currently called the Mini-G: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php

01-12-2011, 9:01 AM
What's the problem with Rewelded receivers? Some guy on here is selling a couple garands for a lot less than usual and someone said they were Rewelded?

01-12-2011, 9:25 AM
What's the problem with Rewelded receivers? Some guy on here is selling a couple garands for a lot less than usual and someone said they were Rewelded?

It is next to impossible (I would argue impossible) to reweld a receiver in such a way that it is exactly as it was when it was first made. This leads to reliability issues such as op-rods jumping out of their track due to incorrect tolerances.

01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
IIRC i thought another member here on calguns said he was in the navy in the late 90's and they issues him a short garand rather than an m16 for some reason?

01-12-2011, 6:38 PM
Okay. That's for the clarification.
I just wouldn't want to do that to a Garand. Maybe if I had a new manufacture barrel and new manufacture stock to use.
If it was already like that from the war (which I know nothing about whether "tankers" existed then or not) then that would be different for me.
That's just me though.