View Full Version : San Diego Cottontail

01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
So, I've never been hunting in my life, but I want that to change in the next week or so.

I took the day long safety course (old guys at the DFG are awesome!) and got my license and really want to step into this by starting with cottontails (or jackrabbits). Having never hunted before though, I'm not sure on exactly where the hunting areas are in San Diego. I got a DOD topographic map of the Cleveland National Forest that Interstate 8 bisects, and I'm ready to head out!

I brought this up a while ago before I took the class, but had to put it on hold. Am determined to head out now. So... without giving up any of your secret hunting spots, can some of you here familiar with the area I'm talking about kind of push me in the right direction on this?

01-12-2011, 7:25 AM
If you can afford the drive time to the East / South of Salton Sea the farm land along the canals is an excellant spot for cottontail. Unless an area is posted no hunting, which some fields are, you should have good access. My last trip on December 26 yielded cottontail, quail and one pheasant taken at 4:37 pm, walking back to the truck. I looked at my watch to check available legal shooting time left in the day. I had plenty of time left to try to track down the rooster's buddy, but it was solid clouds overhead and I decided to call it a very good day.