PDA

View Full Version : Removing Front Pivot Pin on AR

megavolt121
08-11-2006, 2:50 PM
How the heck do you remove the front pivot pin? I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the spring and detent out!

Thanks for any help

Taz77
08-11-2006, 3:09 PM
why are you trying to remove the pivot pin?

C.G.
08-11-2006, 3:19 PM
How the heck do you remove the front pivot pin? I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the spring and detent out!

Thanks for any help

I use a razor blade to put them in, so I imagine it would work to take them out (never had to take mine out).

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 3:44 PM
Try using a brass punch to knock it past the detent, but be aware the detent and spring will go flying. Why would you need to remove the pin? :confused:

megavolt121
08-11-2006, 3:48 PM
I have two lowers, but one LPK. I wanted to use a different lower.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of just using a punch and giving it a good whack but was hoping someone had an easier/less brute force method.

SemiAutoSam
08-11-2006, 3:52 PM
I would think using a punch might break the receiver depending on how much of a detent the pin has maybe a small scribe would work to push the detent pin back into the hole.

And or get a pin without a detent hole like the colt version that has a small bolt on the other end that threads into the pin. that way you will not have this problem again.

or just buy another LPK. and don't risk damaging the lower your LPK is currently installed in.

creampuff
08-11-2006, 4:08 PM
I purchased a pivot pin depressor a while ago, but to be honest I haven't tested it, so you may have to take this as "internet" advice. :rolleyes:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=432#sku

Go down to item # 16; it essentially is a very small allen key with a tapered tip, that is small enough to work itself under the detent. Don't really know if it works though...

C.G.
08-11-2006, 4:16 PM
or just buy another LPK. and don't risk damaging the lower your LPK is currently installed in.

+1. You'll have to buy one at some point anyway.

6172crew
08-11-2006, 4:55 PM
I think DPMS and BM sell the parts so you wont have to buy a LPK (if thats what your trying to avoid.

Then again a Stag LPK is only 60 bucks from 10% or CWS, that way they are both ready to rock.;)

megavolt121
08-11-2006, 5:59 PM
I purchased a pivot pin depressor a while ago, but to be honest I haven't tested it, so you may have to take this as "internet" advice. :rolleyes:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=432#sku

Go down to item # 16; it essentially is a very small allen key with a tapered tip, that is small enough to work itself under the detent. Don't really know if it works though...

Do you have a picture of this tool? I might be able to make one.

For those of you suggesting a new LPK, yes I've thought of that, but I don't really care to have two built up lowers right now.

C.G.
08-11-2006, 6:37 PM

For those of you suggesting a new LPK, yes I've thought of that, but I don't really care to have two built up lowers right now.

Try the razor blade.

-hanko
08-11-2006, 7:30 PM
Download a copy of the TM. It's basically a 1/16" Allen wrench (or close) with the long end tapered with a flat cut. Tapered area is maybe 1/3 the length of the long end. The wrench itself should be a lot less than a buck at any hardware store.

-hanko

creampuff
08-11-2006, 8:05 PM

Here you go:

depressor tool (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/creampuff464/pivota.jpg)

Ryan HBC
08-11-2006, 8:10 PM
You are seriously willing to try and remove all of those roll pins and springs?

Break down and order the kit. Sell a kidney or something.

bwiese
08-11-2006, 8:58 PM

Haha, yeah, I know. I did a double-take when I saw the poster's reasons.

megavolt121
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM

Its four hits with a hammer dude..

Not an issue of $$, its an issue of practicality.

Thanks to CreamPuff, C.G., and Hanko for actually trying to help.

UPDATE: Razor trick worked!

Ryan HBC
08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Yes, sounds very practical.

Good luck with your 4 hammer swings.

megavolt121
08-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Took me 30 minutes to strip down and build a new lower.

Sorry, took 8 hits total to remove the pins, which are in perfect condition.

C.G.
08-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Its four hits with a hammer dude..

Not an issue of $$, its an issue of practicality.

Thanks to CreamPuff, C.G., and Hanko for actually trying to help.

UPDATE: Razor trick worked!

I am glad that someone actually took my advice.:D (It doesn't happen very often).