PDA

View Full Version : New to me Roger Old Army

sactobill
01-11-2011, 7:33 PM
I just bought a stainless Ruger Old Army from a Calgunner and wondered if there are any shops in Sac that sells black powder supplies? I'm looking for prelubed wads, powder, caps, etc.

Any recommendation as to type and amount of powder to use?

Thanks! I can't wait to take her out for some BP fun.

Bill

Carsgunsandchics
01-11-2011, 7:57 PM
I just bought a stainless Ruger Old Army from a Calgunner and wondered if there are any shops in Sac that sells black powder supplies? I'm looking for prelubed wads, powder, caps, etc.

Any recommendation as to type and amount of powder to use?

Thanks! I can't wait to take her out for some BP fun.

Bill

Hey Bill for pistols it's best to use 3F powder, and you can use that spit patch over the top of the ball. Basically powder,ball, and a smear over the top of the lube. In town I have seen caps #11's at Rancho Guns, and at Sportsmans warehouse. As for powder locally I don't know.

Cowboy T
01-11-2011, 7:58 PM
:useless:

6mmintl
01-11-2011, 8:00 PM
I have lots of 30 grain pyrodex pellets if interested, will be at sacto shooting center this weekend if you want to buy some.

sactobill
01-11-2011, 8:08 PM
[QUOTE=6mmintl;5601625]I have lots of 30 grain pyrodex pellets if interested, will be at sacto shooting center this weekend if you want to buy some.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to stick with loose powder to work up loads.

sactobill
01-11-2011, 8:10 PM
:useless:

haha, yeah I'll get pics as soon as I can. Just got home from finishing the transaction. Although carschicsandguns may still have the link to his pictures. I bought it from him.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=382467

sactobill
01-11-2011, 8:12 PM
Hey Bill for pistols it's best to use 3F powder, and you can use that spit patch over the top of the ball. Basically powder,ball, and a smear over the top of the lube. In town I have seen caps #11's at Rancho Guns, and at Sportsmans warehouse. As for powder locally I don't know.

Thanks Travis. I saw a youtube vid and the guy was using prelubed wads between the powder and ball. Then he used another wax wad to seal it. Not sure if I have to use a wad between powder and ball.

trautert
01-12-2011, 4:54 AM
Not really any point to the extra step. Powder, ball, seal it with goo, cap and shoot, grin, repeat.