PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a Mosin-Nagat?

stover
01-11-2011, 4:24 PM
So anyone here hunt pigs with a Mosin-Nagant? If so what hunting ammo did you use? I only have the Russian spam can stuff which is not what should be used in this case?

Dr.Mauser
01-11-2011, 4:35 PM
I've been wondering the same thing about a K98 lol

pullnshoot25
01-11-2011, 4:48 PM
I am certain some do. If I ever get out to hunt, I will certainly be using mine.

smokinstang65
01-11-2011, 4:54 PM
Beware. I had a friend in New Mexico go on an elk hunt with his Mosin Nagant and was damn near thrown in jail when the game warden found out he was using spam can steel rounds. Long story short, after taking their shots, they found another elk dead over their limit. They reported it to the game warden which had to confiscate rifles (per the law) and while investigating they found the Mosin loaded with his spam can rounds. He was only let off because the judge realized it was an honest to God first time mistake, but if I were you, I would check local laws on ammunition allowed for use for hunting before heading out. On that note, he did get his elk with the Mosin soooo its definitely possible.

Beetle Bailey
01-11-2011, 4:57 PM
If you want to hunt pigs in California, most of the best places are in the "lead-free condor area" so you would need lead-free hunting ammo. I don't know of any commerical lead-free hunting ammo in 7.62x54r, so I think you will have to handload for it. But it is certainly powerful enough and I have heard of people using them successfully, but that was before the lead ammo ban.

Edit: Lead-free FMJ is not legal for pigs in California, it must be an expanding lead-free bullet, like a Barnes. Or use a regular soft-point and stay out of the condor zone. Oh, and have fun on the hunt :)

Flyin Brian
01-11-2011, 5:02 PM
If you reload, it's sometimes easier to find soft point bullets than FMJ, so I end up shooting targets with soft point ammo quite often. If you're looking for factory ammo, there's plenty of places that make it; bernaul, Sellier & Bellot, Prvi Partizan, Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Norma, and of course every Big 5 sells WWB in 7.62x54r softpoint for around $1 per round.

I'm looking at the MidwayUSA.com webpage for ammo and they show mostly 180 grain SP bullets but there are a few 203 grain as well. The Norma stuff must be gold plated, it's over $2 per round!!!

stover
01-11-2011, 5:09 PM
Beware. I had a friend in New Mexico go on an elk hunt with his Mosin Nagant and was damn near thrown in jail when the game warden found out he was using spam can steel rounds. Long story short, after taking their shots, they found another elk dead over their limit. They reported it to the game warden which had to confiscate rifles (per the law) and while investigating they found the Mosin loaded with his spam can rounds. He was only let off because the judge realized it was an honest to God first time mistake, but if I were you, I would check local laws on ammunition allowed for use for hunting before heading out. On that note, he did get his elk with the Mosin soooo its definitely possible.

Yep. This is exactly why I posed the question.

Bettle and Brian:
I do reload so, I'll have to see what I can get some dies and components but at the same time it may be easier (and cheaper) to just pick up some quality hunting ammo instead.

kalguns
01-11-2011, 5:18 PM
Per DFG only soft point or hollow point(expandable point) is allowed for hunting. NEVER USE A FMJ! You will get in trouble big time!

Argonaut
01-11-2011, 5:20 PM
Non-expanding bullets are not legal to hunt with in any event. And expanding bullets are not legal for the military to use. Otherwise the 7.62X54 is an adequate caliber for most any American game. I am sure that you can find legal hunting ammo but lead free may be a challenge.

Argonaut
01-11-2011, 5:24 PM

8X57 is a great caliber for hunting. Very common in Europe and here as well. I buy 193 grain soft point for my classic pre war Mauser sporters and lead free expanding bullets are available. Many manufacturers of hunting 8X57.

furyous68
01-11-2011, 5:30 PM
Try these guys:
http://www.customcartridge.com/products/hunter_orion.php

Expensive, but so far the only lead-free suppliers of 7.62x39 & x54R rounds I can find. Not reloads either.

I am ordering a few boxes of each from them to have on hand for hunting. I want to start pig hunting again, and either rifle will do well. I believe they also sell reloading supplies for their lead-free rounds.

resident-shooter
01-11-2011, 5:31 PM
Brown Bear and I THINK Wolf make some soft point ammo. Mosin should be very accurate with new factory ammo :) Have funs !

stover
01-11-2011, 5:33 PM
Try these guys:

Expensive, but so far the only lead-free suppliers of 7.62x39 & x54R rounds I can find. Not reloads either.

I am ordering a few boxes of each from them to have on hand for hunting. I want to start pig hunting again, and either rifle will do well. I believe they also sell reloading supplies for their lead-free rounds.

Thanks. Just checked it out. Yes, very expensive.

furyous68
01-11-2011, 5:38 PM
Thanks. Just checked it out. Yes, very expensive.

Yeah, I know. I about crapped a brick. BUT, if you want to hunt in the Condor Zones (which pretty much surround me) you got to pay. The lead-free rounds are all quite a bit more expensive than standard ammo. But you figure, how many rounds are you actually going to use hunting? I would say 1/2 a box at the range to see how it shoots, and the rest should last you at least 2 trips, maybe more?

I just got my first Finnish M39.. I can't wait to see what she can do!

HskrVern
01-11-2011, 5:47 PM
Try these guys:

I've ordered a box of these and they are ok accuracy wise out of my M39 (minute of deer) and just eh from my good 91/30.

Tallestsniper
01-11-2011, 5:50 PM
I am certain some do. If I ever get out to hunt, I will certainly be using mine.

Yeahhhhh, you need one of them there huntin licences! Yeah yeah, and I need a C&R. :D

hybridatsun350
01-11-2011, 5:55 PM
This is what the old hunters use over in Russia... http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB76254SP&name=Brown+Bear+7.62x54R+203grn+JSP+20rd+Box&groupid=40

Haggar85
01-11-2011, 5:59 PM
yes, 54r is a good round for pigs. i know a few other guys that hunt with them too. used soft point commercial. i was unaware of the lead lead bullet issue. i was also unaware that there are condors in California. i was on private property 30 miles from any where out by Healdsburg Ca. well good to know.

paul0660
01-11-2011, 6:18 PM
Doesn't the hunter safety certificate class and test go over this?

I don't hunt, but I knew an expanding bullet is required in California.

hybridatsun350
01-11-2011, 6:19 PM
yes, 54r is a good round for pigs. i know a few other guys that hunt with them too. used soft point commercial. i was unaware of the lead lead bullet issue. i was also unaware that there are condors in California. i was on private property 30 miles from any where out by Healdsburg Ca. well good to know.

The lead ammo ban and condor BS doesn't affect us NorCal folks north of the SF Bay area. I think the northernmost county affected is Santa Clara.

Edit:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/78/condorzone.jpg

furyous68
01-11-2011, 6:33 PM
Wow... I'm in the clear then. I don't know what map I was looking at a couple weeks ago.. trying to find it right now... but I swore SLO County was a lead-free zone! Awesome!

Edit.. Wait.. read that map wrong... still in the lead-free zone... CRAP! I have a lot of WOLF soft point & hollow point rounds I can't use for my SKS too!

Anchors
01-11-2011, 6:34 PM

I'm pretty sure people sporterize both of them for hunting.

furyous68
01-11-2011, 6:42 PM

Yes, it does. FMJ is horrible for hunting. The animal will run off and you most likely will not find it. FMJ doesn't do enough damage to drop it right then & there.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-11-2011, 6:45 PM
Here in CA you must use expanding ammo for hunting game animals. For non-game animals the rules are different. You have to also follow the lead free BS if you are stuck there.

Elsewhere, the rules are different. I know a subsistance hunter who lives up in Alaska. He has killed hundreds of caribou and other big critters, and frequently posted the pictures to prove it. He swears by his Mosin Nagants, and he uses the old Czech silver-tip ball ammo almost exclusively. Mainly because he can get it in bulk, and it is reliable. FMJ in the hands of a good hunter will kill just as fast as the best expanding rounds out there. He has videos of him and his son dropping running caribou at 200 yards with it. And he has videos of his Inuit relatives hunting seals and beluga whales with the same rifle and ammo set up. So never doubt that it will kill anything out there if you use it right. But it may not be legal to use it everywhere for hunting. Personally, I'll stick with soft points, as I only get to hunt a few times a year, and I need every advantage I can get. :)

Haggar85
01-11-2011, 7:51 PM

i took that class some thing like 15 years ago. things have probably changed since then. they did cover the use of expanding, no fmj or any thing else... i did not hear about lead free BS. well good thing i know now, i was using lead since i started.

furyous68
01-11-2011, 8:35 PM
i took that class some thing like 15 years ago. things have probably changed since then. they did cover the use of expanding, no fmj or any thing else... i did not hear about lead free BS. well good thing i know now, i was using lead since i started.

The whole lead-free thing started in 2008 iirc. So it's fairly new.

resident-shooter
01-11-2011, 10:18 PM
The government is doing the right thing by saving those condors from all the savages like u

Haggar85
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Is condor a PC word for buzzard?

rojocorsa
01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I've always wanted to take pig with my vintovka. It just seems fitting. Of course, I heard that those pigs are some hard mofos.

hybridatsun350
01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
The government is doing the right thing by saving those condors from all the savages like u

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet... if you are, in fact, being sarcastic. :cool:

Tanner68
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
This is what the old hunters use over in Russia... http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB76254SP&name=Brown+Bear+7.62x54R+203grn+JSP+20rd+Box&groupid=40

Outside the condor zone, this looks like an easy solution.