PDA

View Full Version : What if you could make your very own AR-10 lower?

RedBluff
08-10-2006, 9:45 PM
http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/projects/ar10lower.html

God, please let we win the Lotto so I can buy my very own CNC machine.

bwiese
08-10-2006, 9:48 PM
I dunno how many times I have to keep telling folks, DON'T do a homebrew AR or AK.

Get a receiver that's in regular commercial circulation. You don't want custom receivers, custom model #s unless they're sold in general trade in & out of CA. Don't build ARs from 80% forgings or AKs from unbent flats.

Again, there could be a small chance Harrott protections do not apply to homebuilt lowers since there's no practicable way that homebrew ARs could be listed by DOJ/AG. Don't know how small or large that chance is, but if it didn't apply, Kasler could well apply and you could be in a world of hurt.

[This does not apply if you have an unmilled magwell and were doing a FAB10-like receiver.]

C.G.
08-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Yet another thread on this one. +1 on Bill's post.

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 6:45 AM
I dunno how many times I have to keep telling folks, DON'T do a homebrew AR or AK.

Get a receiver that's in regular commercial circulation. You don't want custom receivers, custom model #s unless they're sold in general trade in & out of CA. Don't build ARs from 80% forgings or AKs from unbent flats.

Again, there could be a small chance Harrott protections do not apply to homebuilt lowers since there's no practicable way that homebrew ARs could be listed by DOJ/AG. Don't know how small or large that chance is, but if it didn't apply, Kasler could well apply and you could be in a world of hurt.

[This does not apply if you have an unmilled magwell and were doing a FAB10-like receiver.]

Or build one, and don't expect it to get listed. Build it, keep it in fixed mag configuration and have a ball :)

Just make sure to mark it with manufacturer name (make one up if you want) and city/state/caliber/serial number

JP

blkA4alb
08-11-2006, 7:55 AM
Or build one, and don't expect it to get listed. Build it, keep it in fixed mag configuration and have a ball :)

Just make sure to mark it with manufacturer name (make one up if you want) and city/state/caliber/serial number

JP
Well no, Bills point is that if Harrot does not protect homebuilt receivers than the Kasler decision keeps it an AR series weapon and illegal. So it would have to have the sealed magwell and not an open one with a fixed magazine kit.

Thats my understanding of it.

bwiese
08-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Well no, Bills point is that if Harrot does not protect homebuilt receivers than the Kasler decision keeps it an AR series weapon and illegal. So it would have to have the sealed magwell and not an open one with a fixed magazine kit.

Thats my understanding of it.

Pretty close. I'm saying there's an unknown level of risk that it might not be protected by Harrott and could somehow fall back in banned status. That's something courts would have to opine upon, at your expense and legal risk.

Bottom line: don't do a homebuilt AR or AK receiver.

saki302
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Pretty close. I'm saying there's an unknown level of risk that it might not be protected by Harrott and could somehow fall back in banned status.

All depends- "Are you a Gamblin' man?" hehe

-Dave

five.five-six
08-11-2006, 1:15 PM
just buy a hesse like I did, it is just as much work to get a hesse work as it is to machine one from billet ;) ..........and I am going to be shooting it in broad daylight saturday.... at a range

zefflyn
08-11-2006, 1:27 PM

Or, you could go ahead and just let a fellow dream. No point in jumping down a guy's throat for posting a link to something really nifty outside CA, eh? It's OK to take a breather and let one go - after all, what are the chances he'll actually win the lotto, buy a CNC machine, learn how to use it, get the plans, and machine himself an AR-10 receiver, all while remaining in CA?

Personally, I wonder how much that guy would charge for one of these. It'd make a great wallhanging. :cool:

http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/images/IMG_0119.jpg

C.G.
08-11-2006, 1:34 PM
No point in jumping down a guy's throat for posting a link to something really nifty outside CA, eh?

I don't if I am reading the same posts as you, I certainly didn't see anyone jumping down anyone's throat.:confused:

RedBluff
08-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm chokin.......just kidding.

C.G.
08-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm chokin.......just kidding.

That's what you get for eating candy this late at night! . . . Should we call an ambulance?:D

dw1784
08-12-2006, 2:44 AM
thanks for the link Red!!
actually if u got the progz all u need is the g-codes and any shop will hog it out 4u. U can find Haas vf's at auction for low 20k.