PDA

View Full Version : What documentation are FFLs obligated to provide?

AWrootbeer
08-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I was wondering what kind of paperwork are FFLs legally obligated to provide upon sale and/or delivery...

I purchased an OLL and picked it up about 3 weeks ago, but the FFL just gave me a receipt and sent me on my way. I had to explicitly ask to get a copy of all my DROS papers and copies of the forms that I signed. Even still he only gave me a printed copy of my DROS that doesnt even have the dealer's info on it (although it does have the CFD and DROS number, no reference to serial number).. I'm kind of anal retentive about this kind of stuff, but they were pretty unfriendly at the shop, so I left with just what they had given me. There were a lot of people in the shop at the time I picked up my package which might account for the lack of patience/service, but then again each time I visited the shop was a somewhat unpleasant experience...

Is what I have sufficient, or should I go back and get everything they have on file?

I'm not going to mention the FFL dealer I used, but if you're extremely curious, PM me.

kantstudien
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
They are not obligated to give you anything. However, if you ask, they should provide a copy of your DROS (which will tell you nothing if you bought a long gun other than "long gun").

GUNS4WORK
08-11-2006, 12:29 AM
i provide a copy of the dros and a sales receipt. if the customer would like a copy of the 4473 i will always copy it for them. thats the way is should be.

tenpercentfirearms
08-11-2006, 6:53 AM
I know we have to provide a copy of the DROS upon request. I am not sure about the 4473. I guess since I am into customer service I personally would provide you copies of everything, but it would be a major pain in the rear, especially if I had a shop full of people. (you would get a 4473, that would have to be copied six times since there are a total of 3 pages with fronts and backs, the DROS form front and back, possibly a safe affidavit, the sales receipt (you get that anyway), I have a lower agreement that you sign, but you get a copy of that anyway, and my RK Enterprises check list that is front and back, and the copy of your DL).

The only thing you need is a sales receipt. There is no reason to have any of that other crap other than you like to kill trees and want more papers that mean nothing lying about your house. But hey, customers are quirky and I like to make them happy so they keep coming back. That is part of sales, doing dumb things to make customers happy.

I got one guy that doesn't want me to open his handgun box at all when I get it. And this is a transfer! Then I have to ship it to him and he wants me to contact him so he can be the first one to get it at the transfer dealer. I was told not to ship any magazines in the box either and make sure it didn't have anything else in there that might damage the gun. I didn't have the heart to tell him the guys at the factory are probably going to see the gun first. :D I'll post pictures of me shooting it and dry firing the hell out of it before I send it. JUST KIDDING! :p Again, these are the things you do to make people happy.

mow
08-11-2006, 7:34 AM
... I got one guy that doesn't want me to open his handgun box at all when I get it. And this is a transfer! Then I have to ship it to him and he wants me to contact him so he can be the first one to get it at the transfer dealer. I was told not to ship any magazines in the box either and make sure it didn't have anything else in there that might damage the gun. I didn't have the heart to tell him the guys at the factory are probably going to see the gun first. :D I'll post pictures of me shooting it and dry firing the hell out of it before I send it. JUST KIDDING! :p Again, these are the things you do to make people happy.

I would have asked ....

Sir, you do not want me to open the handgun box. Yet you want me to make sure that there are no magazines or anything else in the box? I must either open the box to ensure that there are no other items or not, what do you prefer?

Plus don't you have to verify serial numbers? Sounds like the box was opened. Or was it? This isn't the box you're looking for :D

PIRATE14
08-11-2006, 9:39 AM
I was wondering what kind of paperwork are FFLs legally obligated to provide upon sale and/or delivery...

I purchased an OLL and picked it up about 3 weeks ago, but the FFL just gave me a receipt and sent me on my way. I had to explicitly ask to get a copy of all my DROS papers and copies of the forms that I signed. Even still he only gave me a printed copy of my DROS that doesnt even have the dealer's info on it (although it does have the CFD and DROS number, no reference to serial number).. I'm kind of anal retentive about this kind of stuff, but they were pretty unfriendly at the shop, so I left with just what they had given me. There were a lot of people in the shop at the time I picked up my package which might account for the lack of patience/service, but then again each time I visited the shop was a somewhat unpleasant experience...

Is what I have sufficient, or should I go back and get everything they have on file?

I'm not going to mention the FFL dealer I used, but if you're extremely curious, PM me.

Ur receipt and DROS copy is sufficient for your records........

It does take an effort to make copies but we usually did this if we had time.

CWS bends over backwards to make you happy but this is usually an exception to most others......I have been known to drill on a few people but this is cause they have a bad attitude.......people like that just ******** up my perfectly charming karma.....:D