PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Pete Stark town hall meeting

Window_Seat
01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
So this is what I got in my email this AM from Rep. Stark (Congressional District 13):

A NATIONAL TRAGEDY

Saturday’s horrific shooting in Tucson of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, members of her staff, a federal judge, and innocent bystanders should never have happened. Rep. Giffords was performing the most fundamental duty of a Member of Congress – she was making herself available to her constituents. It is something we all do – and something I strongly believe we must continue to do.

My thoughts are with the victims, their family members and their friends at this time. I hope that we can learn from this tragedy.

Violence has no place in our democracy. While the details of the shooting are still coming to light, we can all agree that political rhetoric and imagery that condones or encourages violence – whether from activists, party organizations, or politicians – is unacceptable. We can have differences of opinion on policy and still treat each other with humanity.

To that end, I recommend you read a column from E.J. Dionne in today’s Washington Post which uses Rep. Giffords’ own words to make this same point.

I’ll be holding town meetings on Saturday, January 22nd in Fremont and San Leandro. I hope you will join me to further this conversation.

Sincerely,
(Pete's Signature)

With this, here is the info on the town hall meeting (THM) (http://www.stark.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=615&Itemid=1)

I'm not exactly impressed that he is using "political rhetoric" as an agenda, but that's just his style (as well as other loony left politicians). He links a Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/09/AR2011010903415.html) that is extreme in the sense that it blames the "right wing" for the tragedy, so it continues to go on & on.

Whatever he links, and whatever the Washington Post and the NY Times ejaculates in the form of corrosive innuendo, I might go, and I would suggest that as many of us CGF/N members also show up to this THM. This is our opportunity to at the very least, make sure that he knows that we oppose any effort by the current Congress to attempt to use the AZ tragedy as a furtherance in the gun control agenda. It doesn't, and shouldn't hurt to at least make the effort, even as "left" as he is about the "causes".

My brother (who passed in October with me at his side) was a big stem cell research (SCR) supporter, and I will be asking him (Stark) questions about the progress of SCR on the legislative level, as well as kidney dialysis improvements for the future, because he and Stark knew one another, and they actually worked together in Washington on some issues. This might be my personal opportunity to at the very least, make a connection with Stark, and maybe get him (at least, partially) on my side. He (my brother) was also supportive of the RKBA cause (especially CCW) with the exception that he didn't like AWs, and he couldn't stand the NRA (and read me the riot act for being a member), but that's besides the point... In digressing:

JANUARY 22, 2011

FREMONT
9:00-10:30 am
Fremont Senior Center
40086 Paseo Padre Parkway

SAN LEANDRO
11:00 am-12:30 pm
San Leandro City Hall
City Council Chambers
835 East 14th Street

Erik.

OleCuss
01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I can't stand Pete Stark. I consider him to be nearly as evil as Pelosi.

But for those of you who can stand him, it might be good if you were there.

BigDogatPlay
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Rep. Pete Stark = :rolleyes: IMO.

To counterpoint his bilge, please refer to this article from George Will (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011003685.html) in today's Washington Post.

bwiese
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
WindowSeat:

The fact you can discuss stem cell research helps decouple you from the perception of being Llooney Right, and is a good entree in such a discussion. I'm however not sure how smart/rational Fartney Stork is in seeing this delineation - once he gets on soemthing, it's like a dog on a bone

nicki
01-11-2011, 1:19 PM
We are not going to change Pete Stark's mind on gun issues, but we can make an impression on those who do attend.

Pete Stark's pet issue is Health care, so if we focus on health care, specifically mental health care, we could take over the meeting in a "good way".

I expect increased security, so I wouldn't even do the empty holster, much less the UOC.
These meeting may have media, so it is important we break stereotypes.

Info is now getting out that these guy was a known nutcase, if we can compress the info into 6 to 8 second soundbites, we could neutralize Pete, maybe even put a positive spin on this.

Nicki

dfletcher
01-11-2011, 1:38 PM
IIRC Stark has never been all "hugs and kisses" with his rhetoric either - he's always been very partisan, very derisive of anyone who disagrees with him.

Milsurp Collector
01-11-2011, 1:52 PM
IIRC Stark has never been all "hugs and kisses" with his rhetoric either - he's always been very partisan, very derisive of anyone who disagrees with him.

He feels like his seat in Congress is his for as long as he wants it (he has been elected and re-elected by the voters in his district since 1973) so he can be as rude and sarcastic as he wants to be at town hall meetings.

Nfhn5OsKQoI

Gryff
01-11-2011, 3:12 PM
Stark is such a two-faced political opportunist that it is disgusting. He's foul-mouthed bully and it is hard to understand how the sheeple keep sending him back to DC.

"Violence has no place in our democracy."

Really, Mr. Stark? Interesting how in the video below he cussed out the interviewer and threatens to "throw him out the window," when the interview doesn't go the way he wanted (about 4:20 in the video):

UjbPZAMked0&sns

Skidmark
01-11-2011, 3:54 PM
Rep. Pete Stark = :rolleyes: IMO.

To counterpoint his bilge, please refer to this article from George Will (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011003685.html) in today's Washington Post.

Not helpful. George Will distorted comments by Howard Dean to smear those that he (Will) disagrees with, and ends up looking the worse for it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2011/01/george_will_smears_howard_dean.html

And it appears Will has lost whatever intellectual edge he may once have held, if he thinks the word "McCarthyism" is appropriate in his disparagement of "the left." Of course, he and Billy Kristol appear to be on the same page:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/136929-conservative-likens-palin-criticism-to-mccarthyism

It's a shame those old torch-bearers of Conservatism can't make relevant points any longer.

Apocalypsenerd
01-11-2011, 8:21 PM
I've only seen a few different sets of footage of Stark but he seems relentlessly arrogant and sanctimonious.