PDA

View Full Version : Another Dear Mr. Amador

Zebra
08-10-2006, 7:28 PM
Here's mine!

Re: Proposed amendment of a sixth term to California Code of Regulations section 978.20 of Title 11 used in §12276.1PC.

Mr. Amador:
After reviewing the text of the above-referenced amendment, I am compelled to submit commentary in opposition of such change. Current regulations being insufficient to quell the perceived misconceptions around "capacity to accept a detachable magazine," this additional regulatory contortion will not be effective in fulfilling the reason for which it is proposed. Rather the suggested alteration will burden law-abiding citizens with capricious, subjective and undefinable terminology they will be subject to upholding.

The need for this change is described as "…facilitate the accurate identification of statutorily restricted assault weapons by law enforcement and the public." However a simple test already exists within the Penal Code. The first amendment clearly identifies a detachable magazine as "any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required."

The suggested change does not replace or clarify the existing text, yet confounds the issue by mandating permanency without defining what form that permanency might take. The new text requiring permanent affixation recommends no specific test that a citizen may undertake to assure compliance.

The DOJ has previously required gun enthusiasts and gun dealers to meet the initial specific tests of disassembly and use of a tool. Those citizens currently in compliance with this absolute definition would be arbitrarily jeopardized without recourse. Additionally the law-abiding general public conformed as requested yet are once again being anointed with the onus of illegality.

It is troubling that criminal elements exploit extant ordinance, however they will remain unhindered by additional regulation. Creating felons of conscientious gun owners is not your intent, I'm sure. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Frank
:cool:

chris
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
very nice indeed. i have to say i have seen some great letters coming out. none have been screaming about the infringment of our rights. they are pointing out that what the DOJ is doing is creating felons out of ordinary citizens. great letters folks hopefully these letter help our cause.

6172crew
08-11-2006, 5:09 AM
very nice indeed. i have to say i have seen some great letters coming out. none have been screaming about the infringment of our rights. they are pointing out that what the DOJ is doing is creating felons out of ordinary citizens. great letters folks hopefully these letter help our cause.

+1, Nice job Frank! We can change minds with letters like these.

jdberger
08-11-2006, 8:15 AM
Wow, great letter! Quick, clear and concise.

If I can offer some constructive criticism: I'd alter the first paragraph a little to say

After reviewing the text of the above-referenced amendment, I am compelled to submit commentary in opposition of such change. Current regulations being perceived as insufficient to quell misconceptions around "capacity to accept a detachable magazine," this additional regulatory contortion will be ineffective in fulfilling the reason for which it is proposed. Rather the suggested alteration will burden law-abiding citizens with capricious, subjective and undefinable terminology.

Again, great letter.

Zebra
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Great, thank you!

Wow, great letter! Quick, clear and concise.

If I can offer some constructive criticism: I'd alter the first paragraph a little to say

After reviewing the text of the above-referenced amendment, I am compelled to submit commentary in opposition of such change. Current regulations being perceived as insufficient to quell misconceptions around "capacity to accept a detachable magazine," this additional regulatory contortion will be ineffective in fulfilling the reason for which it is proposed. Rather the suggested alteration will burden law-abiding citizens with capricious, subjective and undefinable terminology.

Again, great letter.

NorCal MedTac
08-11-2006, 1:07 PM
I was proud to send off my letter a couple days ago. I think this whole situation has given me a new hobby and for once I want to get invovled on all pro-gun issues on a larger scale.