PDA

View Full Version : Squires Bingham Model 16: Duracoat?

BigJB
01-11-2011, 9:13 AM
Just picked up one, wood stock is raw unfinished.

Should I Duracoat it in some new-fangled tactical colors?

Metal and wood in good shape, just needs finishing.

For those not familiar with this thing, it looks similar to an M16

What colors should I do?

I am not a tacti-cool guy, so no idea what the hip colors are today

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/m1600new.jpg

BHP FAN
01-11-2011, 7:42 PM
Obviously you could stain and seal the stock, saw one done like that that turned out very well indeed. I had one with fifteen shot mags ''back in the day'', and camo'd it useing a base coat of krylon brown, and a stencil I made from a broadleaf fern in the backyard in flat green, OD, and black. That turned out well enough that I sold it for twice what it cost, new.

BP707
01-14-2011, 8:56 AM
Here are some ideas for different duracoat designs.

DRAFT1
02-14-2011, 4:56 PM
BIGJB,
I bought mine around 1980. About 10 years after I owned it, I stripped it to wood finish. It set in my gun cabinet for another 20 something years. I recently pulled it out, stripped it to bare wood, primed it, and used krylon camo to make this tiger stripe pattern. I know its not duracoat by a long shot, but I figured why put $100 paint on a $100 gun. I then got the dove tail to picatinny rail conversion rails and added a scope, and also added a diffent fire supressor after losing the one that was on it. I have shot this thing more in the past 6 months than in the past 30 years. They are very fun shooting rifles. I also own a S&W 15-22 and enjoy it as much as I do this one. I just happen to run across this forum and though I would share this info with you. Hope the pictures are clear.

BigJB
02-14-2011, 8:27 PM
BIGJB,
I bought mine around 1980. About 10 years after I owned it, I stripped it to wood finish. It set in my gun cabinet for another 20 something years. I recently pulled it out, stripped it to bare wood, primed it, and used krylon camo to make this tiger stripe pattern. I know its not duracoat by a long shot, but I figured why put $100 paint on a $100 gun. I then got the dove tail to picatinny rail conversion rails and added a scope, and also added a diffent fire supressor after losing the one that was on it. I have shot this thing more in the past 6 months than in the past 30 years. They are very fun shooting rifles. I also own a S&W 15-22 and enjoy it as much as I do this one. I just happen to run across this forum and though I would share this info with you. Hope the pictures are clear.

Wow!!! That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

You'd be surprised at what that thing is actually worth

DRAFT1
02-15-2011, 4:37 AM
Thanks BIGJB. After I painted the tiger striping, I coated it with flat clear to protect the finish. So far it is holding up as well as the original finish. I have no idea what these guns are worth? You don't see many of them any more, thats for sure. I hope to see yours when its finished.

DRAFT1
03-03-2011, 4:21 PM
Finally got it finished with all the goodies BigJB. I still want to try the duracoat on something. This was my first real camo job so I wanted to see how it turned out. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/DWGLIDE1/IMG_0096.jpg

jackandblood
03-03-2011, 4:46 PM
I like it. When I dont focus on the pic, just have it in my peripheral it looks like one odd splotch of a shape vaguely resembling a rifle. The black parts stand out almost like they are floating on the splotch shape. I think that's how good camo is suppose to work.