PDA

View Full Version : Sino-Soviet SKS C&R?

beemaze
01-11-2011, 8:55 AM
I'm looking at a Sino Soviet SKS that was maunfactured in 1956. Per ATF rules, by date alone, it is considered a C&R rifle. The seller states otherwise. I am wondering if anyone could provide any clarification? I have not yet seen the proof markings, but the seller states they are Russian proofs. I do not yet know if the word 'Norinco' is marked on the receiver as the manufacturer. In that case, I could understand why the seller does not want to sell it to me directly. I have a C&R FFL and even if I did not, it still should be eligible for cash & carry in CA by age alone.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

JAGGUY
01-11-2011, 9:06 AM
You might want to do a little research on that "paratrooper". It is a fake, they were never made like that originally.

TRICKSTER
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
If it is 50+ years old in original configuration, it is C&R.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/
"Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) for a formal classification."

For dating info on Sino Soviet SKS see here under China.
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

Interloper
01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Is the receiver Soviet? That's the issue here. If so it's cash and carry. I take it both you and the seller are in California?

JAGGUY
01-11-2011, 1:20 PM
If it is a real Sino Soviet it will be marked 26 in a triangle denoting arsenal #26 in China.

mievil
01-11-2011, 6:12 PM
Real Sino-Soviet SKS rifles are not C&R. It was manufactured in China, therefore is not C&R. There is no true dating scheme, even though everyone has a pretty good read on what it was, and it is pretty well known when the Sinos were made. The Sino was made in China under Soviet supervision, but it was still made in China.

All the assumptions are negated by the ATF papers. Sinos were made in China, and Chinese SKS rifles are excluded from the C&R list. Period.

samspade77
01-11-2011, 6:30 PM
Norinco is a Chinese SKS; not Russian.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-11-2011, 6:43 PM
...All the assumptions are negated by the ATF papers. Sinos were made in China, and Chinese SKS rifles are excluded from the C&R list. Period.

All firearms made in China that are known to be over 50 years old are automatically C&R. The trouble is verifying the date. But if you can verify the date and it is over 50 years old then it is C&R.

mievil
01-11-2011, 6:47 PM
I don't believe a single person has verified a production date on a Chinese SKS and submitted the paperwork to the ATF. The ATF does not consider them C&R and the "Is a Chinese SKS C&R?" question has been answered by the ATF. So as long as they say it isn't, then it isn't. You are right, verifying is the hard part. So until it can be done it is not a C&R.

We are talking SKS rifles here, not Chiang Kai Sheks or 53s or anything else that has a date stamped on it.

mievil
01-11-2011, 6:56 PM
Here is a thread with the letter from the ATF about the Chinese SKS.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=30811.0

You can disregard most of the other mumbo in the thread, although there are some very good informational posts. But the first post is the important one.

What I'd take from that is the following:

Until someone from the ATF states that a Chinese manufactured SKS is a C&R, it would be in your benefit to not listen to anyone else that claims that it is.

BALDANDTOPLESS
01-11-2011, 7:08 PM
If youre inquiring about the paratrooper on the market, it wasnt modified to it's short barrel configuration until the 70's after importation. they are disqualified as c&r due to that alone, despite what year they were originally manufactured.