PDA

View Full Version : AB962 & my Walmart

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 8:24 AM
I just spoke to my local Walmart's General Manager about AB962. He told me that the Walmart in Arroyo Grande fully intends to continue selling ammunition and that they have the mechanisms in place to continue selling uninterrupted. I don't know if all Walmarts will follow the same model, but this one is.

awall919
01-11-2011, 8:29 AM
Thank you for that piece of info. I tried speaking with my local WM manager who had no idea about the law or if there particular was ready for it. Though if one store is, im sure that they or at least most of them are. Did the manager say anything about a price increase?

Kodemonkey
01-11-2011, 8:31 AM
That's good to know. I've talked with other guns stores and they say they don't even have instructions from the state on how to comply. That information was as recent as 1/7/2011.

Hopalong
01-11-2011, 8:31 AM
Good info. Thanks.

Hopefully Paso Robles will do likewise.

Milsurps
01-11-2011, 8:44 AM
I don't know if all Walmarts will follow the same model, but this one is.

Went to the Santa Maria store last Sat Morn. Pretty well cleaned out. My first thought was their not restocking, Feb 1 is about to hit. :mad:
Went last night after work for "other things". To my delight the ammo case was fully restocked. :) I asked the regular sporting good dept. Lady what about Feb. 1 ?
She said they were going to keep selling ammo and they were going to use an old fashion bound book to record the sales. No computer I asked ? She laughed, " They can't even get the Hunting, Fishing license computer to work". She pointed to a out of order sign was taped the computer CRT ! :rolleyes:
She was also aware of the Jan. 18 court date. Got say she is on on it. :D

BluNorthern
01-11-2011, 9:43 AM
Bought a couple of boxes of .45 ammo last week at the Oroville store. Asked about the upcoming law and how it would work at the store here and the clerk said they had had no word yet regarding any changes.

JanG
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
one of the employees at the stockton walmart said he just went through a class so he can work the ammo counter, so most likely they will continue to sell ammunition.

OleCuss
01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
If my local WalMart didn't sell ammo they wouldn't get half the business they get from me right now.

As it is, I go to Wally World far more than I do Target. Target doesn't sell ammo. . .

SupportGeek
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Went to the Santa Maria store last Sat Morn. Pretty well cleaned out. My first thought was their not restocking, Feb 1 is about to hit. :mad:
Went last night after work for "other things". To my delight the ammo case was fully restocked. :) I asked the regular sporting good dept. Lady what about Feb. 1 ?
She said they were going to keep selling ammo and they were going to use an old fashion bound book to record the sales. No computer I asked ? She laughed, " They can't even get the Hunting, Fishing license computer to work". She pointed to a out of order sign was taped the computer CRT ! :rolleyes:
She was also aware of the Jan. 18 court date. Got say she is on on it. :D

Haha, I went to the Santa Maria WM on Saturday too, no one was at the counter to ask, but 9mm was cleaned out, there was still .40 and .45 though. I figured they were just going to sell out of whatever handgun ammo they had and that was that. Good to hear they will keep selling, I guess it was one of you guys that bought up all the 9mm ammo, there was about 25 boxes of federal when I looked there the weekend or so before that. :)

someR1
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
going to talk to the clovis walmart tonight .....we shall see what they say :rolleyes:

The Real Oakfan
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
She said they were going to keep selling ammo and they were going to use an old fashion bound book to record the sales.

:mad: That statement RIGHT THERE should send chills up the spines of anyone planning to purchase ammo under this new law. One book. One place for any criminal to walk out the door with a very comprehensive "shopping list" of who has guns, what caliber, how much ammo they have, where they live, what their phone number is....everything needed for an easy home invasion "score".

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
:mad: That statement RIGHT THERE should send chills up the spines of anyone planning to purchase ammo under this new law. One book. One place for any criminal to walk out the door with a very comprehensive "shopping list" of who has guns, what caliber, how much ammo they have, where they live, what their phone number is....everything needed for an easy home invasion "score".

Yep, the manager said they will have to keep those records for 5 years also.

Desert Dude
01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Ah yes, it's all coming clear now...........................

WOLVERINES!

USMC VET
01-11-2011, 1:24 PM
Talked to the guy at one of the roseville walmarts and he said he didn't know for sure yet, but he didn't expect or forsee the shipments to stop. Ill update when I find out more.

The Fugitive
01-11-2011, 2:23 PM
good news but I'm still not going to try to buy any ammo for this year when that law goes into effect.

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 2:28 PM
Might I suggest that all gun owners make a commitment to buy their handgun ammunition out of state and thereby deprive PRK of the sales tax revenue? Perhaps buy ALL ammo out of state for this very reason. If we can put a real number on revenue lost, perhaps some people will start to change their minds on some of this nonsense.

Anyone have a $$ figure for ammunition sales in CA last year?

MikeinnLA
01-11-2011, 2:30 PM
Actually found some .38 at Stevenson Ranch last week and they said they're set for the new law & will still be selling ammo.

Mike

Bigtime1
01-11-2011, 2:40 PM
If my local WalMart didn't sell ammo they wouldn't get half the business they get from me right now.

As it is, I go to Wally World far more than I do Target. Target doesn't sell ammo. . .

If my local WalMart (Oceanside) didn't sell ammo they wouldn't get ANY of the business they do now. I can get a 48 pack of paper towels lots of places these days.

My local WM said they intend to sell ammo, were just waiting for instructions from HQ.

Regardless, I did big round of internet buys from out of state companies just feel better.

Curtis
01-11-2011, 2:42 PM
The two Corona stores are setup for business as usual.

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 2:48 PM
ATK reports that nationwide hunting and sporting ammo sales in 2007 hit $750,000,000.00. Now, 1/6 of the US population (roughly) lives in CA. That is $125,000,000.00 in CA sales. I know, that number might be off, but sales have probably greatly increased since 2007, so give me some slack. At an average of 8% sales tax, that comes to $10,000,000.00 dollars in revenue directly from ammo sales.

This might not seem like a lot of money @ the state level, but consider that a lot of that money goes to smaller cities that are broke. Just saying that it would be nice to have some solid numbers to make these law makers look like idiots during an economic crisis.

Dutch3
01-11-2011, 3:17 PM
The new governor could take a big step toward deficit reduction by promoting the overturn of AB962.

Jack L
01-11-2011, 3:38 PM
CA politicians are lame. They screwed up on this one. They should be seeking every penny they can get a hold of. Instead more laws that drain the state of $. Not to mention this law makes no sense.

NorCalDustin
01-11-2011, 4:02 PM
That's good to know. I've talked with other guns stores and they say they don't even have instructions from the state on how to comply. That information was as recent as 1/7/2011.

What should we do if our local Wally world or vendor does not have anything for AB962 in place and keeps selling ammo?

IGOTDIRT4U
01-11-2011, 4:06 PM
What should we do if our local Wally world or vendor does not have anything for AB962 in place and keeps selling ammo?

Umm, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is there a typo in here somewhere?

peopleofthesun
01-11-2011, 4:07 PM
going to talk to the clovis walmart tonight .....we shall see what they say :rolleyes:

I'm interested in what they say.

the_quark
01-11-2011, 4:16 PM
Target doesn't sell ammo. . .

Oh, the irony.

joeyant
01-11-2011, 4:19 PM
California, at a time when they need to think of ways to increase revenue, is actually passing more laws restricting commerce. Meanwhile, stores in neighboring Nevada and Arizona are rejoicing and encouraging stupid Californians to keep passing more of said laws.

Basic Econ 101 : supply vs demand = price determination

BluNorthern
01-11-2011, 4:19 PM
Buy till it hurts then buy some more?

Kodemonkey
01-11-2011, 4:26 PM
Actually found some .38 at Stevenson Ranch last week and they said they're set for the new law & will still be selling ammo.

Mike

So YOU'RE the guy that keeps cleaning out the 38special ammo at the Walmart on Lyons...:p

I found 4 boxes there about a month ago and haven't seen any since.

NoJoke
01-11-2011, 5:06 PM
If my local WalMart (Oceanside) didn't sell ammo they wouldn't get ANY of the business they do now. I can get a 48 pack of paper towels lots of places these days.

My local WM said they intend to sell ammo, were just waiting for instructions from HQ.

Regardless, I did big round of internet buys from out of state companies just feel better.

Which one (on the 78 or 76)?
Got mine today on the 78 walmart.
They just loaded their shelves w/ some .45
I picked up some .38 and 9mm

Lead-Thrower
01-11-2011, 5:10 PM
Just cleaned my local Walmart out of .40 S&W. About all they had left after that was a few boxes of .45 ACP. Other than the empty shelves, there was no real indication that they will stop selling it after the law goes into effect (not like I plan on buying in-state then anyways).

01-11-2011, 5:14 PM
Wal mart in jackson does not plan on selling ammo after feb

NorCalDustin
01-11-2011, 6:52 PM
Umm, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is there a typo in here somewhere?

No typo...

I mean, is it thumbs up to still buy ammo if After the deadline our local vendors for whatever reason did not comply with AB962 and did not take down the required information during a sale.

thrasherfox
01-11-2011, 6:56 PM

I have heard the same thing

Librarian
01-11-2011, 7:27 PM
No typo...

I mean, is it thumbs up to still buy ammo if After the deadline our local vendors for whatever reason did not comply with AB962 and did not take down the required information during a sale.

Not a problem for buyers - any violations are on the sellers.

Jubba
01-11-2011, 7:33 PM
I plan on taking a little trip to a Cabellas in Arizona and stocking up, rather than complying with this bs law in CA, supplying a finger print and such.

Saym14
01-11-2011, 7:36 PM
at my walmart the sporting goods manager told me he is praying they get to sell ammo and if not his dept sales will plummet.

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 7:39 PM
Is there any type of movement afoot by CGF to craft a standardized for for gun shops to use for 962 compliance? Local dealer is pretty well up to speed on it, but hasn't any idea how DOJ wants him to implement.

SikDMAX
01-11-2011, 7:40 PM
Thanks for checking on this Chopr!

gtturborex
01-11-2011, 7:49 PM
Is there any type of movement afoot by CGF to craft a standardized for for gun shops to use for 962 compliance? Local dealer is pretty well up to speed on it, but hasn't any idea how DOJ wants him to implement.

Same with my local dealer. He is still waiting for instructions.

Lompoc Walmart has a sign on the ammo case stating they have a system in place to continue selling.

justinjames
01-11-2011, 7:51 PM
sorry guys, i know its off topic but will AB962 ban shotgun ammo sales over the internet??

Lead-Thrower
01-11-2011, 7:59 PM
sorry guys, i know its off topic but will AB962 ban shotgun ammo sales over the internet??

Technically no, it only bans "handgun ammunition." But seeing as there is no clear definition of what "handgun ammunition" is exactly, anything that can be used in a pistol is in question (.410 might fall under this, but 12ga and 20ga should be safe).

steadyrock
01-11-2011, 8:08 PM
My Walmart was reasonably well stocked tonight. I came home with half a case of .45 and some other random boxes of stuff as well. I bought ammo for guns I don't even own, but plan to soon. The nice South African man behind the counter did not know what the new law specified, or how they were going to follow it. Being from South Africa, however, he did tell me a story or two about ammunition registration: name, signature, thumbprint, home address, which gun you bought it for, intended use (i'd imagine categories like target/hunting/self defense/etc.), and so on. His closing line was, "Nobody ever died from all of that ... (long pause) ... if you know what I'm saying.

Sad to see we're only a hair's breadth away from being on par with South Africa as far as ammunution registration goes.

inbox485
01-11-2011, 8:34 PM
Oh, the irony.

It was part of the Columbine fallout. A hand full of student protested and instead of asking them if they boobed at Ford after the last DUI fatality they rolled over and ended all ammo sales.

reefer_bob
01-11-2011, 8:57 PM
The guy I spoke to at my local WM seemed to play dumb at first, and after I spoke some more he warmed up. Kinda weird. Anyrate, he said that he didn't know of any plans in place for how they were going to handle ammo sales.

I bought some ammo regardless... :)

Dutch3
01-12-2011, 4:22 AM

I am curious about that myself, especially after the "bound book" comment. What possible purpose can AB962 serve if purchase information is not stored in a database?

Is a LE agency going to call every ammo dealer in the state and ask if "Joe Schmoe, CADL #1234546" bought any handgun ammo within the past 5 years from their location? I can hear the pages flipping now.

Milsurps
01-12-2011, 5:01 AM
I am curious about that myself, especially after the "bound book" comment. What possible purpose can AB962 serve if purchase information is not stored in a database?

Is a LE agency going to call every ammo dealer in the state and ask if "Joe Schmoe, CADL #1234546" bought any handgun ammo within the past 5 years from their location? I can hear the pages flipping now.
:rofl2:
California Government bureaucracy at it's best. :rolleyes:

choprzrul
01-12-2011, 6:45 AM
The information contained in the ammo purchase book becomes the Home Invaders Guide to Firearms Theft. I could see that info not being protected as closly as the FFL bound book simply because it needs to be on the counter for ongoing sales. A thief would have names, addresses, and calibers of everyone who has purchased from that dealer.

What a nightmare.

NorCalDustin
01-12-2011, 9:41 AM
The information contained in the ammo purchase book becomes the Home Invaders Guide to Firearms Theft. I could see that info not being protected as closly as the FFL bound book simply because it needs to be on the counter for ongoing sales. A thief would have names, addresses, and calibers of everyone who has purchased from that dealer.

What a nightmare.

Yup. Many of us have been saying it all along.

ttboy
01-12-2011, 9:59 AM
Yup. Many of us have been saying it all along.

The reason I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY AMMO IF THIS LAW GOES IN EFFECT.

one*eyed*jack
01-12-2011, 4:04 PM
I spoke with the associate in sporting goods at the Tracy Walmart. She has always seemed pretty knowledgeable. She was aware of the bill, but she didn't know what the store would be doing. She had not received any instructions about how their store would handle ammo sales after Feb. 1.

Chops
01-12-2011, 8:23 PM
Just went to the orangevale Wal-mart and the gentleman working the counter said he does not think they will stock ammo if the law goes into effect. I am trying to stock up since I just bought another handgun and need to have ammo for it. Going to hit some other Wal-mart's in the area and see what I can get.

pitchbaby
01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Was just at Roseville Walmart on PG... seems like biz as usual. No signs posted, no conversation going on.