PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun At 5 Dogs 8/12

Pokey
08-10-2006, 2:48 PM
As above, good match, great people sign ups start 7:30, shooters meeting 8:00, match start 8:30. Range is about 20 mi north of Bakersfield.
Unfortunately I can't attend but figured I'd pass the info.

Mirage
08-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I attended the match as a spectator. That is the first 3 Gun I have seen. It looked like a blast to shoot, and like you said some great freindly people. I had a shooter let me use his ammo and shotgun to shoot the shotgun coarse while they were waiting for the next area to get completed. I hope to get setup to shoot a match eventually.

Pokey
08-15-2006, 7:21 AM
Their next big 3 gun should be Jan/Feb. I'll post as soon as I get info.

rkt88edmo
08-15-2006, 8:57 AM
I shot my first 3-gun match with a loaner shottie as I didn't even own any shotguns. It was even set up with the speedloading sticks and extended mag. Keep making friends and you may not have to wait to buy new equipment before joining in on the fun. :)

I attended the match as a spectator. That is the first 3 Gun I have seen. It looked like a blast to shoot, and like you said some great freindly people. I had a shooter let me use his ammo and shotgun to shoot the shotgun coarse while they were waiting for the next area to get completed. I hope to get setup to shoot a match eventually.

Pokey
08-15-2006, 1:46 PM
I shot my first 3-gun match with a loaner shottie as I didn't even own any shotguns. It was even set up with the speedloading sticks and extended mag. Keep making friends and you may not have to wait to buy new equipment before joining in on the fun. :)

Good point. Hey Mirage, if you're not set up by the next 5 dogs match, drop me an e-mail and I'll bring spares of whatever you need. When I started a couple great guys took me under wing so the least I could do is 'pay it forward'. Let me know (goes for anyone else interested too).

Mirage
08-17-2006, 7:43 PM
I think I am pretty close on equipment.
I think I can use either the Glock 21, or Berreta 92.
I would need a couple more magazines, and carriers.
I have my OLL, and uppers I could use. Need more magazines and carriers. I could get another pistol grip and saw it off to retain the safety detent to stay legal. Or I have an M1a. A little much on the recoil though and I am not sure it is permitted for use in 3 gun matches.
Then I have a 12 Ga. Browning A5 with modified choke barrel that I could get a magazine extension for, and some shell carriers.
That would not be that hard or expensive to put together to get me started.
The part that I need to look into is a good source for decent ammo for competition, or investing in a progressive press and dies. Even if I had the reloading setup I am not sure I would have the time to pump out the ammo though.
I shoot high power competition, and I have a couple of single stage presses and dies, and I got a powder meter, but I still I end up buying commercial match grade ammo because I just can't find time to roll my own.
That is a little expensive at just 68 rounds per match!
Anyway I should be able to give it a try when the matches start.

Fjold
08-18-2006, 7:32 AM
Their next big 3 gun should be Jan/Feb. I'll post as soon as I get info.

Pokey, could you post an example of the course of fire usually shot?
Can the rifle portion be shot with a fixed mag OLL, or should I buy the Monster man grip?
What's the shotgun course take? Would an 11/87 with a standard magazine tube work?
I assume that a single stack magazine 1911 with extra mags would work?

I can see myself buying another upper assembly and a barrel and mag tube for the shottie soon. Wifezilla's going to hate this!

Pokey
08-18-2006, 8:28 AM
Pokey, could you post an example of the course of fire usually shot?

>>I will try to post the actual stag descriptions following this post.

Can the rifle portion be shot with a fixed mag OLL, or should I buy the Monster man grip?

>>You could shoot it fixed mag but I would not recommend it. Better off going gripless (I usually have at least 1 mag change using 30rnd).

What's the shotgun course take? Would an 11/87 with a standard magazine tube work?

>>Yes it would work, with the extended tube you don't reload as often but to get started just use what you have.

I assume that a single stack magazine 1911 with extra mags would work?

>>Yes that is what I use most of the time. Just need lots of mags and carriers (I usually try to carry at least 50 rnds pistol). I have extras.

I can see myself buying another upper assembly and a barrel and mag tube for the shottie soon. Wifezilla's going to hate this!

>>For your first at least just shoot what you have and see if its your cup of tea. Any matches that I am going to I'll be glad to bring extras.

>> As for ammo I usually use factory for matches (I had 3 .223 seperations in one stage, reloaded 1 too many times). Reloads for practice.

Pokey
08-18-2006, 8:36 AM
I think I am pretty close on equipment.
I think I can use either the Glock 21, or Berreta 92.
I would need a couple more magazines, and carriers.
I have my OLL, and uppers I could use. Need more magazines and carriers. I could get another pistol grip and saw it off to retain the safety detent to stay legal. Or I have an M1a. A little much on the recoil though and I am not sure it is permitted for use in 3 gun matches.
Then I have a 12 Ga. Browning A5 with modified choke barrel that I could get a magazine extension for, and some shell carriers.
That would not be that hard or expensive to put together to get me started.
The part that I need to look into is a good source for decent ammo for competition, or investing in a progressive press and dies. Even if I had the reloading setup I am not sure I would have the time to pump out the ammo though.
I shoot high power competition, and I have a couple of single stage presses and dies, and I got a powder meter, but I still I end up buying commercial match grade ammo because I just can't find time to roll my own.
That is a little expensive at just 68 rounds per match!
Anyway I should be able to give it a try when the matches start.

If we are on the same squad I think you could use some of my mags without 'you-know-who' climbing up my backside. .308 works fine just lower capacity, more weight, and more recoil (I love it). Some matches actually have a Heavy Metal division (.308, 12 GA, .44 or better - Iron sights only) that rocks! Like I said above just use what you have for your first. I could tell some equipment adventures from my first match:D :D . See above for ammo recommendations.

Pokey
08-18-2006, 8:40 AM
Some 3 gun stages:

Whitesmoke
09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I know this post is a couple weeks old...but this sounds like fun! I live in Bakersfield too and shoot at 5 dogs often....I'll have to try and make the next one. Who put's these on? Is there a calender of events somewhere?

Has anyone been shooting their OLL at five dogs? I've been a little shy of shooting at the public range with it so far....

Pokey
09-08-2006, 2:06 PM
As I said before I'll post Series info as soon as I get it, probably Dec/Jan.
If you go out there I'd ask around I know they have other matches, I'm just too unorganized to find out when.:D

Fjold
09-08-2006, 2:19 PM
I know this post is a couple weeks old...but this sounds like fun! I live in Bakersfield too and shoot at 5 dogs often....I'll have to try and make the next one. Who put's these on? Is there a calender of events somewhere?

Has anyone been shooting their OLL at five dogs? I've been a little shy of shooting at the public range with it so far....

I've shot mine at 5 Dogs since January without a problem. A couple of people have asked me why I broke it open to reload it and I've explained the OLL situation to them, but that's about it. I'm usually there from about 6 AM-9 AM on either Saturday or Sunday mornings.