PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a complete rifle - piston driven

kAnJii
01-10-2011, 9:27 PM
Looking at getting one sometime this year. What's your opinion on these brands?

LMT

LWRC

Addax

Ruger

I know, Ruger? It has everything I need in an AR, and per my previous post, the owners seem to like it alot. LWRC and Addax, definitely heard good stuff about, and LMT products are very good.

Tank 57
01-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Have you considered the SIG 516? I am thinking about buying one.

straykiller
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
how about an ak?

X-NewYawker
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
If you decide on an LMT 5.56, PM me.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/SWATLM308MWS.jpg

billgato
01-11-2011, 5:40 AM
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T, which is piston driven. It has been perfect for me after about 500 rounds. The chamber area and bolt carrier are super clean even after firing hundreds of rounds at a time.

Don29palms
01-11-2011, 5:46 AM
Addax is the way to go!

B Strong
01-11-2011, 5:49 AM
The only one of your choices that I've had trigger time with is LWRC, and that was 100% favorable, but I'd seriously consider LMT or an ADDAX rifle, based on reputation alone.

The LWRC rifles run as advertised in semi and full auto, and are of high quality in material and finish, but with any piston system you have to consider spares as a long term investment if you're going to buy a given system -since there is no standard GI piston system, you'll have to rely on the health of the Company providing the rifle - in which case Ruger would have to get the nod in that direction.

kAnJii
01-11-2011, 6:40 AM
Have you considered the SIG 516? I am thinking about buying one.

What's the price of one compared to the other rifles? Compareable or a bit overpriced?

kAnJii
01-11-2011, 6:40 AM
The only one of your choices that I've had trigger time with is LWRC, and that was 100% favorable, but I'd seriously consider LMT or an ADDAX rifle, based on reputation alone.

The LWRC rifles run as advertised in semi and full auto, and are of high quality in material and finish, but with any piston system you have to consider spares as a long term investment if you're going to buy a given system -since there is no standard GI piston system, you'll have to rely on the health of the Company providing the rifle - in which case Ruger would have to get the nod in that direction.

Your killing me with this answer B Strong. :D

PolishMike
01-11-2011, 7:02 AM
The best bang for the buck rifle is going to be the LMT CQB MRP. I would chose between that and the LWRC.

Striker
01-11-2011, 7:23 AM
LWRC and LMT are top tier weapons for sure and get great reviews from owners and the gun mags. I would choose Addax Tactical though. High quality components, great attention to detail and great customer service. Also, I like the idea of being able to select my own parts. I can select my rail, barrel, etc. Customize it to my specs and needs instead of someone else's idea of what those are.

kAnJii
01-11-2011, 1:00 PM
LMT and LWRC and Ruger use their own specialized piston system while Addax uses the PWS long stroke gas system. Sound about right? Anyone know how is Sigs system?

818gtiguy
01-11-2011, 1:12 PM
Addax produces their own piston system now. The Addax ZK. IMO it is the way to go for a piston AR. They are supposed to have their own lowers pretty soon too....Addax has superior quality control, uses the highest quality parts, and has excellent customer service.. Check em out http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=137

ceedubG
01-11-2011, 2:15 PM
What about Primary Weapons, PWS MK116 5.5.6 Rifle? Does anyone have any experience with it over the Ruger?

Tank 57
01-11-2011, 4:28 PM
The Sig price is comparable with the Ruger.(Also considering that).Can't comment on the others,haven't done any real research.Own several Rugers and service although rarely needed has been outstanding.Have never needed any service on the Sigs that I have.

Average Joe American
01-11-2011, 5:07 PM
I have a Stag Arms model 8 that I got for $1000. Its no top tier Ar like LWRC and ADDAX but for a mid tier piston it is the only one I know of that has a lifetime warranty. It has served me well since I have had it. Price and warranty is what sold me. Every other piston Ar is most likely going to cost you about $1500-ish?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/DSCN2791.jpg

Here is a good article on the negatives of the RugerSR556 if you are interested in both the pros' as well as the con's.
http://www.gunsandgearreview.com/2010/11/why-i-passed-on-ruger-sr556_26.html

Addax
01-11-2011, 7:18 PM
LMT and LWRC and Ruger use their own specialized piston system while Addax uses the PWS long stroke gas system. Sound about right? Anyone know how is Sigs system?

Our first two lines of Piston Driven AR Uppers (Addax GPU and ATAC) utilized the PWS Short Stroke and Long Stroke Piston Systems, which we purchased under license directly from PWS, and used in our previous Piston Uppers.

Over the past year, we have been working on developing our own piston system, and our new line of AR Piston Uppers called the ZK.

For more info: Addax Gas Piston Uppers (http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=137) and here on Calguns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5584314#post5584314

CK_32
01-11-2011, 7:52 PM
LMT or LWRC FTW every time.

Dhena81
01-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I can only comment on the LWRC which I own I've been through around 3k rounds and it has never had any kind of failure and it shoots a little better than 1MOA with the right ammo.

LMT makes great stuff and if for some reason they stop making some kind of part that is specific to their piston setup you can change it to their DI kit which is one of the beauties of owning an MRP modularity.

Deadon
01-12-2011, 2:44 AM
One word, HEAVY.

Nathan Krynn
01-12-2011, 7:12 AM
If I were going to go with a piston then Addax would be where I would spend my money.

They are good people and local to you guys.

kAnJii
01-12-2011, 9:15 PM
What's the warranty on these?

kroniclove
01-13-2011, 1:40 AM
Addax all the way. They are local and they offer great customer services.

BHPFan
01-13-2011, 6:56 AM
Addax all the way. They are local and they offer great customer services.

+1

plus they are Calgunners like us. I am currently waiting for the ZK GPU that I put a down payment. It may be a long wait, but considering the top quality parts that will be used in the build, I think the wait is worth it.

HK Dave
01-13-2011, 9:12 AM
If you're gonna be spending $2K+... just get a SCAR. :)

problemchild
01-13-2011, 9:14 AM
Every AR platform EXCEPT LMT that I have handled had the "wiggle" between the upper and lower. I mean my God its the year 2011 and you cant get tighter tolerances than 1/4" on the upper and lower????

Kudos to LMT for giving me an LMT-MWS that has a rock solid super tight fitting upper/lower that has ZERO wiggle. NO, WIGGLE IS NOT GOOD for the kool-air drinkers that are in denial and have receiver slop!

Rock on LMT..........

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/acog/_U6L0310.jpg

stormy_clothing
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
cmmg m4 lep 2