PDA

View Full Version : ...

Foriegn power
01-10-2011, 4:54 PM

OHOD
01-10-2011, 5:44 PM
So there is no tag needed for rabbits? And basically I need to take a hunter eds class and buy a license? And be familiar with all the laws etc?

That's what I understand it to be.
I need to take the class and get a license as well. The regulations are persnickety.

dirtydrew
01-10-2011, 5:56 PM
Jack Rabbits have a black tail and the season is open year-round. Cottontails's have a white tail and the season ends Jan 30...

devilinblack
01-10-2011, 6:42 PM
So there is no tag needed for rabbits? And basically I need to take a hunter eds class and buy a license? And be familiar with all the laws etc?

That pretty well sums up the basics. Most of the rules should be covered in your class.

And yes, any meat should be dressed and cooled as quickly as possible, then packed and frozen if you're not going to eat it right away.

Interloper
01-11-2011, 7:06 AM
The hunter's ed class is 3 or 4 weeknights...maybe two hours per night. Been awhile but that sounds right. If you live in a larger area you'll find one being held several times a year...here in the boonies they only run twice a year so you need to keep an eye out and maybe reserve a spot.
Small game is fun because there's no expensive tag and the seasons run so long. The meat is good eats though I've had some downright heinous jack-rabbit. Depends on what they are eating. Also, in the summer you need to watch out for wolves in the meat. Rodents also carry lots of nasty diseases that humans can catch so rubber gloves are nice and always cook the meat thoroughly. Not trying to scare you off just a heads up.
Hope you follow through. Hunting is a lot of fun.

stphnman20
01-11-2011, 7:50 AM
If you don't have your license, get that first. It's a one day thing. Or you can do 4 hours on online and do the rest in a class..

Jacks are year round, don't need a tag..