PDA

View Full Version : New to California fishing, just got my license, recommend an East Bay fishing spot

OHOD
01-10-2011, 4:43 PM
I've been living in California for 7-years now and never got a fishing license.
Well, it is about time, so I did.

Got me some basic gear, now all I need is a good fishing spot.

I have a medium action rod and some basic lures and have rigs for live or dead bait.

So, I have no idea where to fish. I know, I know, just go to the river and start fishing. Well yes, but I would really like to have some success first time out. Besides, I've never been fishing this far north in the winter.

Got any ideas, recommendations?

Edit: By the way, I don't need your trophy spot, just an average location most people go to fish.

Foriegn power
01-10-2011, 4:49 PM
Tell you what since fishing is really sometimes hard. I suggest for fresh water try using a 2lb line and you're set to go! Have fun bring a friend, chair chips and maybe beer!

thukidad
01-10-2011, 5:31 PM
what kind of fish you aiming for??

OHOD
01-10-2011, 5:37 PM
what kind of fish you aiming for??

Anything really.
Catfish are lazy fun. Bass are the bomb. Trout, never caught one except for a Spotted Weakfish in Florida. Sturgeon are too big for my taste.
Bluegill or any other panfish. Crappie are always good fun.

I just like to get out in the fresh air and fish.

tony270
01-10-2011, 5:44 PM
They fish San Pablo Dam Reservoir, Point Pinole (the pear and beach), KDIA radio station to the right side of the Bay Bridge tollbooths the north end of the beach, Point Emeryville right off Highway 80, Golden Gate Fields, Laney Collage slew, the Canal out in Tracy, Los Banos Reservoir, Lake Chabot, Lake Merced in SF, Ocean Beach in SF for monster strippers, Crab Cove in Alameda, 7 street in Oakland, need more.

OHOD
01-10-2011, 5:47 PM
They fish San Pablo Dam Reservoir, Point Pinole (the pear and beach), KDIA radio station to the right side of the Bay Bridge tollbooths the north end of the beach, Point Emeryville right off Highway 80, Golden Gate Fields, Laney Collage slew, the Canal out in Tracy, Los Banos Reservoir, Lake Chabot, Lake Merced in SF, Ocean Beach in SF for monster strippers, Crab Cove in Alameda, 7 street in Oakland, need more.

Whew, that is a pretty good list!
Now it's time for an internet search and find out the nearest locations!
thank you so much.

tony270
01-10-2011, 5:51 PM
The only laid back fishing spots that I posted are at the Reservoirs and Lakes excluding Los Banos Reservoir, but O’Neil Forebay has plenty of laid back spots to fish, the other spots are for hardcore fishermen.

thukidad
01-10-2011, 6:02 PM
or the good 'ol delta for variety

JonS
01-10-2011, 7:24 PM
Where exactly is your location? I recommend reservoirs. Contra loma if out in Antioch, quarry if in Fremont, San Pablo Dam if in San Pablo.

berto
01-10-2011, 8:16 PM
I fished from the shore at San Pablo Reservoir as a kid. Haven't been for years but it's stocked and easy in and out.

outbrakeridah
01-10-2011, 8:26 PM
Can't go wrong with the Delta. All species and if you cant get a big fish...bring some worms and you'll definitely catch bluegills.

21SF
01-11-2011, 8:59 AM
Tell you what since fishing is really sometimes hard. I suggest for fresh water try using a 2lb line and you're set to go! Have fun bring a friend, chair chips and maybe beer!

2lb test is good for trout in lakes and some panfish, maybe a catfish if its in a lake with no current.etc.

Sab pablo is closed for the winter.

Whew, that is a pretty good list!
Now it's time for an internet search and find out the nearest locations!
thank you so much.

Where you from, ill put you on fish, i caught a nice striper saturday at cache slough on mudsuckers. limited out on trout at lafayette on sunday.

21SF
01-11-2011, 9:26 AM
Sorry just realized you said eastbay, so what do you want to fish for. The striper sturgeon in the delta is kinda slow but not impossable.

Trout at local lakes is also a good bet.

its too cold for cats and bass as well as other warmer water fish.

SO for trout i would go to either lafeyette, del valle, los vaqueros.
Use night crawlers with a power egg combo, slinding egg sinker, small swivel and about an 18-24 leader of 2-4 lbs test. Thread the night crawler in a small hook (i like yamahgatsu?spelling? premade leaders with the small red hooks) and then put a chartrouse ?spelling power egg in the hook and inflate your night crawler with a worm pump or seringe to keep wverything suspended off the bottom.

For stripers head out to gotcha bait and tackle in antioch with a bucket for some live mudsuckers. Then over the antioch bridge and a left on sherman island road find a clear spot and rig your gear with 20 lbs test main line sliding weight clip( small red thing that runs ON your line and u attach a weight to. Large swivel then a 15-20 lbs 18-24" leader with small octopus hook. Buy a small bright colored (chartrouse)grub or segmented worm and cut it at the segments to make small rings. Grab your mudsucker and hook him in the upper lip being careful not to go into his head or killing him. then once hes on your hook put a small ring of the cut up worm on the hook to keep him from falling off and help the fish see him in the muddy water.

Sturgeon is a liuttle harder with more patients involved. let me know ill tell how to fish for them too.

The american river steal head bite should be heating up here shortly. but thats a drive and is a little more challenging.
Cache slough 01/08/11
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/akamurk/Striper01-08-11Cacheslough-1.jpg

tony270
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
2lb test is good for trout in lakes and some panfish, maybe a catfish if its in a lake with no current.etc.

Sab pablo is closed for the winter.

Where you from, ill put you on fish, i caught a nice striper saturday at cache slough on mudsuckers. limited out on trout at lafayette on sunday.

Yeap, at this time of we hunt for big fish such as stripers and sturgeon, we leave the smaller fish alone until it gets hot.
The bite is normally at Point Molate, Point Pinole Pier and the beach especially after big rains up in the delta, The State Beach in Benicia, The Mothball Fleet, Golden Gate Fields right in the parking lot, Cache Slough opposite side Steamboat Slough ferry towards Isleton (but I hear you need a boat to fish CS now days), The Pipe Line opposite the Antioch Bridge, PGE Power Plant in Pittsburg, Martinez Pier. You can catch stripers and perch Estuary Park and the Laney Slough at this time of year, as well as the inlet to Lake Merit, west of High Street Bridge too.
That’s the places we fish at this time of year if you live in Oaktown or the Eastbay

21SF
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeap, at this time of we hunt for big fish such as stripers and sturgeon, we leave the smaller fish alone until it gets hot.
The bite is normally at Point Molate, Point Pinole Pier and the beach especially after big rains up in the delta, The State Beach in Benicia, The Mothball Fleet, Golden Gate Fields right in the parking lot, Cache Slough opposite side Steamboat Slough ferry towards Isleton (but I hear you need a boat to fish CS now days), The Pipe Line opposite the Antioch Bridge, PGE Power Plant in Pittsburg, Martinez Pier. You can catch stripers and perch Estuary Park and the Laney Slough at this time of year, as well as the inlet to Lake Merit, west of High Street Bridge too.
Thatís the places we fish at this time of year if you live in Oaktown or the Eastbay

Lol thats the reason i asked about carrying. Some of those places are grimey.

21SF
01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
There has been a few posts about fishing. We should all go line up on the delta some where and fish lol

tony270
01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Lol thats the reason i asked about carrying. Some of those places are grimey.

Yeap, you know the deal. I’d give credit to whomever originally wrote the following, but I don’t know who to give credit to; I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

When I lived in the Eastbay I witness 2 robberies and 1 shooting. Not to mention many more crazy situations that came close to needing a weapon to save my life or someone else’s. It’s hard to know what to do, because in none of those situation did it come to me actually needing a weapon. It’s a fine line to know when to react, because if one reacts prematurely, one would be risking everything, most of the times it's a false call. Heck, and I fit in, so be carful