PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: How to register HG???

JPglee1
08-10-2006, 7:07 AM
Ok guys, I was wondering...

Lets say HYPOTHETICALLY you have a grandfather pass away. You're given his handguns without knowing you need to register them. 2yrs passes and you realize they need to be registered. He's dead, you already got the handguns for more than 60 days...how do you register them without going to jail?

J

P.S. No, not me, but I was wondering about it.

grammaton76
08-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Depends on the guns. I was in a very similar position - the officer I asked (Oceanside PD) actually told me I should use it as a throw-down gun if I ever end up having to shoot a BG. :eek:

Ultimate solution - my mom's still the custodian of my grandparents' estate, which is still an ongoing entity. I managed to lose it in a drawer of the estate , and I figure there's gotta be some kind of procedure to inherit a gun from a deceased dude later on...

Come to think of it, it's pretty old. Probably no one would know if I were to claim it was acquired as an out-of-state C&R... but, I have no bloody clue what it is other than it fires 32acp.

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/32cal-revolver/

bwiese
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
You're dealing with at worst an infraction/misdemeanor (as long as guns legal, you are not a prohibited person, etc.)

Filling out a voluntary registration form will actually 'cure' the situation and not self-incriminate. Don't like on the form though.

socalguns
08-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes muwahahaha ;) don't "like" on the form, they frown on that :D

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 6:47 AM
but, I have no bloody clue what it is other than it fires 32acp.

http://www.cheapspeech.com/Pics/Guns/32cal-revolver/

Iver Johnson .32S&W...Its not 32ACP unless its got some kinda special star clips.

Take it easy.

J

grammaton76
08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Iver Johnson .32S&W...Its not 32ACP unless its got some kinda special star clips.

Take it easy.

Ooo, thanks - first ID anyone's ever made on it! Interestingly enough, it accomodated 32ACP when I tried to test it out after acquiring it - but maybe that explains why it couldn't fire anything.

I'll have to do a bit of reading on the thing. Thanks!

saki302
08-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Grammaton, the cartridge you're looking for looks liek a mini .38 cartridge- it will be rimmed.
I have a little S&W revolver in .32 Long. Yours might fire that, or .32S&W- there are a few old rimmed cartridges floating around. BOth push around 100 ft-lbs and are easy shooters. Try Miwall at the gun shows, they sell some of the oddball ammo. Bring your cylinder along if you can easily remove it.

-Dave