PDA

View Full Version : Burris scope question

Taz77
08-10-2006, 6:18 AM
I just brought my Tikka T3 to the range this last weekend to test out some factory ammo to see how well they will group (range report later if anyone's interested). I'm using a Burris Signature series 8-32x44mm, and was kinda using it as a spotting scope for my friend who was sighting in an older Mossberg bolt action.

When I have the scope cranked up to 32x, it was kinda blurry or cloudy looking, and the image through the scope wasn't clear at all. If I lower the zoom, the image gets much better, though at 8x, it still was not as clear as my friend's Leupold VXIII at 10x.

Is it typical for a scope to be cloudy looking if the zoom is cranked up that high or should I be contacting Burris about any warranty issues?
I've messed around with the focus, but it didn't help (i'm assuming the focus is for the reticle, and not the actual image, right?).
I did notice once I got home that the parallax adjustment was set at 50, when I was shooting 100yds. Would that make a difference on how clear the image appears?

stevie
08-10-2006, 6:29 AM
Heat distortion can cause some of this. Higher the magnification the worse it gets. Some can be caused by the scope. Less expensive optics will have less expensive glass and coatings resulting in hazy imagines at extreme magnification. If your scope is keeping on target, its probably fine.

ocabj
08-10-2006, 8:08 AM
Yes, parallax adjustment will make a difference. The image would have been better if you had adjusted the parallax appropriately.

But even then, 32x at 100 yards will be a lot less clear that 10x at 100 yards.

PanzerAce
08-10-2006, 9:41 AM
cant help you with the scope, but I am interested in a range report on the T3 :D

ohsmily
08-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Having a darker, cloudy image at higher magnification is characteristic of lower quality glass...

You need to spend more money on a higher end optic to get a crystal-clear image at 32x...

Just as a comparison, take a look through a Leica, Swarovski, or IOR spotting scope at high magnification compared to a Burris landmark spotting scope...you will be amazed.

ocabj
08-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Having a darker, cloudy image at higher magnification is characteristic of lower quality glass...

You need to spend more money on a higher end optic to get a crystal-clear image at 32x...

Just as a comparison, take a look through a Leica, Swarovski, or IOR spotting scope at high magnification compared to a Burris landmark spotting scope...you will be amazed.

The Burris Landmark spotting scopes are pretty bad, but I wouldn't go so far as call the Burris Signature series rifle scopes as low quality. Burris makes solid rifle scopes.

Taz77
08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
cant help you with the scope, but I am interested in a range report on the T3 :D

Will do... once I get my camera back... for now, let's just say I'm not good enough for the rifle, and I still did pretty good for the first time at 100 yards.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try again at the range next time, and with the parallax set correctly and see how much difference it makes. :)