PDA

View Full Version : New Ammo Law and Shipping Out of State

Frostie Jay
01-10-2011, 1:51 PM
So I'm curious about this law, in that, if someone had a credit card or whatever with an out of state billing address, and sent orders to that out of state address, would that be a violation? Assuming they did it online in California, that is. I mean, nothing is being shipped into the state, which is how it seems to be worded.

Any thoughts?

Librarian
01-10-2011, 1:58 PM
The AB962 issue is delivery to CA residents in CA.

The thing you propose is delivery out of CA.

That is little different from you driving to the seller and buying out of state, then driving back to CA - legal.

choprzrul
01-11-2011, 4:10 AM
So, an out of state relative can buy ammo and then ship it to you? Sounds correct since the out of state relative is not a retailer, or does this type of transaction have to be FTF?

Dutch3
01-11-2011, 4:26 AM
If I am reading it correctly, transfers between parties who are not licensed ammo dealers or manufacturers is limited to 50 rounds, and still need to be FTF.

It is a confusing read, though.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
01-11-2011, 5:56 AM
So I'm curious about this law, in that, if someone had a credit card or whatever with an out of state billing address, and sent orders to that out of state address, would that be a violation? Assuming they did it online in California, that is. I mean, nothing is being shipped into the state, which is how it seems to be worded.

Any thoughts?

AB 962 prohibits someone from ordering handgun ammo online in California, wherever the ammunition may be delivered. There was clean-up legislation that would have exempted internet orders where the ammunition would be delivered to a local handgun ammunition vendor who would process the transfer, but the bill was defeated. You can physically leave the state, buy handgun ammunition, and bring it back, but mail order and internet purchases from within CA would violate AB 962.

Jack L
01-11-2011, 6:51 AM
I guess my mother in Nevada will soon be buying my bulk ammo for me. I hope Nevada and AZ start stocking heaps of bulk ammo for 'us' making the drive over.

GrizzlyGuy
01-11-2011, 6:55 AM
So, an out of state relative can buy ammo and then ship it to you? Sounds correct since the out of state relative is not a retailer, or does this type of transaction have to be FTF?

That would be a transfer of ownership of the ammo from your relative to you, so 12318 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12318.html) would still apply:

(a) Commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of
ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
transaction with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide
evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee. A
violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

If you had C&R FFL + COE, then this type of transfer would be exempt (as would a direct delivery to you from the retailer). FYI, various relative-out-of-state scenarios were discussed here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5566320#post5566320).

If I am reading it correctly, transfers between parties who are not licensed ammo dealers or manufacturers is limited to 50 rounds, and still need to be FTF.

There is no 50 round limit for anything, that provision was in early drafts of the law but removed prior to passage. More info here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition).

Frostie Jay
01-11-2011, 9:48 AM
I guess my mother in Nevada will soon be buying my bulk ammo for me. I hope Nevada and AZ start stocking heaps of bulk ammo for 'us' making the drive over.

Yup! That sounds like my plan too..

ap3572001
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
QUESTION.

DOES the new law effect handgun ammo sale from person to person ?

GrizzlyGuy
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
QUESTION.

DOES the new law effect handgun ammo sale from person to person ?

Yes. 12318 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12318.html)(a) applies to everyone that is not exempted, including private parties. Delivery must be face-to-face and the buyer must provide ID:

(a) Commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of
ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
transaction with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide
evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee. A
violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

motorhead
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
ammo, the gift that keeps giving.

ap3572001
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes. 12318 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12318.html)(a) applies to everyone that is not exempted, including private parties. Delivery must be face-to-face and the buyer must provide ID:

So if someone wants to sell a case of 38's to someone. They have to meet the buyer and ask Him for ID? And finger print?

GrizzlyGuy
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
So if someone wants to sell a case of 38's to someone. They have to meet the buyer and ask Him for ID? And finger print?

Yes, but the fingerprint isn't required for private parties.

ap3572001
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, but the fingerprint isn't required for private parties.

Thanks. At least private sales are not regulated.