PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel magazine conversion

Matt C
08-10-2006, 2:51 AM
Does anyone know of a way to convert a 556 AR mag into a 6.5 grendel mag? I think whatever I do I need to make sure the mag could still work in an AR. Of course I could buy new ones but they would be low-cap.

bwiese
08-10-2006, 6:00 AM
Does anyone know of a way to convert a 556 AR mag into a 6.5 grendel mag? I think whatever I do I need to make sure the mag could still work in an AR. Of course I could buy new ones but they would be low-cap.

I don't think this is possible. The 6.5G even requires a special ejection port so it even requires a custom upper receiver.

Even the 6.8SPC requires a different magazine...

C.G.
08-10-2006, 8:20 AM

Different springs, followers and feed lips. If I were you, I would not attempt it; but if you insist, I would get one of the blue follower 9 rounders so that you can get an idea how much of the lips you have to dremel and tweak.

PanzerAce
08-10-2006, 9:36 AM
agreed with the other posters, it doesnt seem to be a good idea. Especially since (for me) it seems that the only 6.5s that would make sense in CA are the long barrel ones, and those generally you would have a tripod up front, which makes higher capacity magazines get in the way.

Matt C
08-10-2006, 9:04 PM
Well, looks like I'm stuck with 10 rounders :(

C.G.
08-10-2006, 9:13 PM
Well, looks like I'm stuck with 10 rounders :(

It might save you money until cheap Wolf 6.5 comes out.:)

bwiese
08-10-2006, 9:51 PM
It might save you money until cheap Wolf 6.5 comes out.:)

If ever. They've been touting that for a year.

While 6.5G is cool in performance, I think it's gonna end up being an orphaned cartridge. Alexander Arms is doing everything to make it hard to be a mainstream round - Betamax all over again.

Matt C
08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, I was planning to get one the new 6.5G POF piston uppers, but I might reconsider now.

adamsreeftank
08-11-2006, 12:46 AM
I think the real problem with converting a magazine is that the 223 mags have vertical ridges that stiffen the mag and make the internal dimension smaller. The 6.5 Grendel mags are slightly wider internally. I think that is probably why the new ones are made from steel. There isn't room for the deep ridges.

If you have any legal standard cap AR mags designed for the 7.62x39 they may work with a bit of adjusting and a new follower.

C.G.
08-11-2006, 12:58 AM
I think the real problem with converting a magazine is that the 223 mags have vertical ridges that stiffen the mag and make the internal dimension smaller. The 6.5 Grendel mags are slightly wider internally. I think that is probably why the new ones are made from steel. There isn't room for the deep ridges.

If you have any legal standard cap AR mags designed for the 7.62x39 they may work with a bit of adjusting and a new follower.

Not any eaisier to make do There's is still work to be done, in my case not worth the time it costs for 6.5 Grendel mags.

PanzerAce
08-11-2006, 1:20 AM

While 6.5G is cool in performance, I think it's gonna end up being an orphaned cartridge. Alexander Arms is doing everything to make it hard to be a mainstream round - Betamax all over again.

Also, they are getting sued for non-performance by their barrel maker...

C.G.
08-11-2006, 9:41 AM

You can now buy reamers and finished barrels, so I think they are headed in the right direction, just slowly. As for the ammo, that is up to Wolf, not AA; the round has been in Wolf's catalogue, just the production and shipping is taking longer than was supposed to.

bwiese
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
You can now buy reamers and finished barrels, so I think they are headed in the right direction, just slowly. As for the ammo, that is up to Wolf, not AA; the round has been in Wolf's catalogue, just the production and shipping is taking longer than was supposed to.

For AR designs - the prime area of emphasis - they also need custom upper receivers.

The (lack of) speed you write about will be their demise.

And why are they dependent on Wolf? Why aren't at least some of the other ammo mfgrs jumping on the bandwagon (Fed, Hornady, Black Hills, Rem, Winch., etc.)?

BTW Many things are in catalogs, that are no longer in production or that got cancelled.

It's all because of A-A's screwy licensing agreements!

These guys wanna build Rolls-Royces for a Chevrolet-to-Cadillac market; they wanna be Betamax in a VHS market. And they wanna charge royalties, instead of promoting the cartridge so other mfgrs will make it. That business model has consistently proven to be flawed for over a century, regardless of product.

I think the only reason, honestly, they're still alive is that they seem to get free/reduced rent (they're at Radford Arsena -low-cost space for R&D).

grammaton76
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
My friend's gonna cry if 50 beowulf goes down with AA too. He still intends to get one of those.

Personally, I think I'd rather see an AR in 500 S&W or, failing that, 50AE so it could use the same ammo as my DE...

thmpr
08-11-2006, 1:46 PM
How many of you got a 6.5 upper or complete AA rifle?

C.G.
08-11-2006, 2:28 PM
How many of you got a 6.5 upper or complete AA rifle?

Look at my sig line.:)

thmpr
08-11-2006, 3:49 PM
Whats the link...? Complete or just the upper?

C.G.
08-11-2006, 4:16 PM
Whats the link...? Complete or just the upper?

24" Overwatch upper.

bluetentacle
08-11-2006, 4:22 PM
For AR designs - the prime area of emphasis - they also need custom upper receivers.

Not so, according to Arne of Competition Shooting Sports--the other Grendel vendor, who is selling the barrels, gas blacks, and bolts:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11850&postcount=10

"As has been said before, the Grendel does not require an opened ejection port. However, I would stick to major brand names when it comes to upper receivers since they have will be more likely to be in spec then "too good to be true priced lesser know brands"

POF and Sabre both have Grendel models ready. They are both waiting for Wolf ammo to arrive before releasing the products.

I myself have a GCS20 on order from CSS.

thmpr
08-11-2006, 4:26 PM
Not so, according to Arne of Competition Shooting Sports--the other Grendel vendor, who is selling the barrels, gas blacks, and bolts:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11850&postcount=10

"As has been said before, the Grendel does not require an opened ejection port. However, I would stick to major brand names when it comes to upper receivers since they have will be more likely to be in spec then "too good to be true priced lesser know brands"

POF and Sabre both have Grendel models ready. They are both waiting for Wolf ammo to arrive before releasing the products.

I myself have a GCS20 on order from CSS.

The upper or the complete GCS20 rifle?

bluetentacle
08-11-2006, 4:34 PM
The upper or the complete GCS20 rifle?

The upper only, of course. They are not going to sell complete rifles to CA customers. I've got a couple of lowers ready for the Grendel, as well as for the upcoming Beowulf build.