PDA

View Full Version : brass deflection and OLL

creampuff
08-10-2006, 1:35 AM
Finally got around to sighting in and breaking in my CMMG's midlength uppers.
One thing I noticed is that the brass always bounced directly onto the bench to the right of me. I went on Monday to Chabot, so the bench to my right was empty.

I am just wondering, on a more crowded day, I would hate to annoy the person shooting to the right of me, by showering him with hot brass. Do your AR's launch brass on 1 to 2 o'clock position, or more like the 3 oclock position like mine?

If so, what do you do to keep from annoying your fellow shooters. I should mention I am left handed, so perhaps that would also affect where the brass lands, as I am shooting on the right side of the bench.

thanks,

williamkwong
08-10-2006, 1:46 AM
Finally got around to sighting in and breaking in my CMMG's midlength uppers.
One thing I noticed is that the brass always bounced directly onto the bench to the right of me. I went on Monday to Chabot, so the bench to my right was empty.

I am just wondering, on a more crowded day, I would hate to annoy the person shooting to the right of me, by showering him with hot brass. Do your AR's launch brass on 1 to 2 o'clock position, or more like the 3 oclock position like mine?

If so, what do you do to keep from annoying your fellow shooters. I should mention I am left handed, so perhaps that would also affect where the brass lands, as I am shooting on the right side of the bench.

thanks,

I was at Chabot shooting my AR on Sunday. I loaded 1 shot, shot it and looked up. My neighbor to the my right was looking right at me.

I asked, did it hit you? He said yes and got up. I was thinking oh ********...pissed someone off :o But he came back with an old target and propped it up for me. Then he told me how cheap brass catchers were. He was cool, he actually helped me later on when I jammed.

creampuff
08-10-2006, 1:50 AM
I was at Chabot shooting my AR on Sunday. I loaded 1 shot, shot it and looked up. My neighbor to the my right was looking right at me.

I asked, did it hit you? He said yes and got up. I was thinking oh ********...pissed someone off :o But he came back with an old target and propped it up for me. Then he told me how cheap brass catchers were. He was cool, he actually helped me later on when I jammed.

I was thinking about propping something up, but problem is I am left handed. The cardboard would be right where I position myself. Tough living in a right handed world; I read the life expectancy of left handed people is actually shorter compared to right handed folks. It must be a government conspiracy :)

Mudvayne540ld
08-10-2006, 3:28 AM
wierd. My RRA flings it down and about 45º back.

Fjold
08-10-2006, 7:26 AM
Mine lands at 4:00, right where the person on the next bench would be sitting. I don't shoot it if someone is on that bench or I take one of the benches that have a larger than normal space on the right.

chiefcrash
08-10-2006, 8:23 AM
yea, my bushie C15 sends brass to about 4 o'cock...

bushie makes a little clamp on brass deflector that makes the brass land at your feet, instead of flying off (http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/db-a2.asp). i'm sure there's probably cheaper ones out there

ocabj
08-10-2006, 9:06 AM
That's what nets are for. We have them at our range. Just ask the range officer to borrow one.

fairfaxjim
08-10-2006, 9:08 AM
Brass catchers are GOOD! They make you a good neighbor on crowded ranges, and help you get your brass back. If you think the AR's are bad, you obviously never shot Mini-14's in a crowd.

ocabj
08-10-2006, 9:20 AM
Brass catchers are GOOD! They make you a good neighbor on crowded ranges, and help you get your brass back. If you think the AR's are bad, you obviously never shot Mini-14's in a crowd.

Yes! I've seen Mini-14s eject brass 5-6 benches away before they hit the ground.

bu-bye
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes! I've seen Mini-14s eject brass 5-6 benches away before they hit the ground.

Or a person.:mad: those stupid things hurt even after its 40 ft trip. What pissis me off is when the owner does not seem to care that everyone to his right is being burned and cut from his brass.

VeryCoolCat
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM

Heh, I remember someone here said they shot a mini14 inside a car and the brass cracked the windshield. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hit on the forehead by mini14 brass and thought "I'VE BEEN SHOT"

AYEAREFIFTEEN
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
First time I ever shot my mini-14 was at angeles shooting range. I had no idea it ejected the brass so far away and so fast. First shot the brass hit a guy about 15 feet away right between the eyes. Thankfully he was very nice and laughed it off.

creampuff
08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I finally settled on buying a brass catcher bag this morning. I was tempted to get the brass deflectors made by TC accessories, but problem is one of my uppers has an Eotech on top of it. One of the deflector models is catered towards the Eotech, but it looks like I would have to dismount the Eotech each time, which probably means I would have to rezero it with every session.

http://www.tc-accessories.com/products.htm

On the subject of the mini14, I replaced the gas bushing, so it didn't fling the brass into a high orbit around the earth. Now my brass, goes about 6 feet 2oclock. I'll probably get a brass catcher for the mini as well, seeing as how that trajectory could pass in front of other shooters, and get a little distracting for them.

RainierArms
08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
There are actually Ranges that don't have Screen Stands?

grammaton76
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Forget the mini-14. Let's talk about Hakim brass ejection, shall we? I think the brass may push the sound barrier when it ejects... :)

creampuff
08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
There are actually Ranges that don't have Screen Stands?
http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

It is a web page that still uses frames, so click on "range" found in the left frame. It's actually a nice range, I forget I am still in an urban environment, when I get to this range. I only use the rifle range, but based on the pics, looks like the pistol range might have some form of a barricade between shooters.

No screens on the rifle range though..it's California...this allows for group hugs. :p

The Soup Nazi
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Megavolt 121 was at the bench to the left of me at Chabot last Saturday, when he busted out his AR-15, I kept getting pelted by his brass, but I was wearing clothes and it wasn't hot so I really didn't care.

rips31
08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
chabot pistol range can't contain 5.7 brass. i think it flung it 5-6 stalls over.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-10-2006, 2:31 PM
Clip 2 coils off of the ejector spring.. that is what up HP shooters do.. the brass will go into a nice little pile about the 1 - 2 o'clock position.....

adamsreeftank
08-10-2006, 3:01 PM
Clip 2 coils off of the ejector spring.. that is what up HP shooters do.. the brass will go into a nice little pile about the 1 - 2 o'clock position.....

Assuming you have one of those tools to put the ejector back in...

(I just bought one. Yipee.)

NRAhighpowershooter
08-10-2006, 4:33 PM
tool for the ejector??? I have a dry wall screw head prodruding on my work bench.......

PLINK
08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
My Carbine ejects them at the 1 o'clock position and the Dizzy w/ rifle length gas system ejects them at the 4 o'clock position. The range I go to does not have a wall or catcher of any sort. This post gave me something to look (brass catcher) for at the Reno show tomorrow.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
For the AR, I just look for a piece of cardboard (target backing) if I'm shooting from the bench. I fold it over at the bottom, set something on it and put my range bag behind it. It keeps most of the brass on the table. Now the AK....that thing throws brass across the building up against the wall! OUCH:eek:

creampuff
08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
For the AR, I just look for a piece of cardboard (target backing) if I'm shooting from the bench. I fold it over at the bottom, set something on it and put my range bag behind it. It keeps most of the brass on the table. Now the AK....that thing throws brass across the building up against the wall! OUCH:eek:

I wish I could do that, but being left handed, the cardboard would be right in my face. I did consider the Stag left handed uppers, but I really wanted a midlength.