PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mod the original 10/22 stock to fit a .920 heavy barrel?

UserM4
01-10-2011, 9:23 AM
I can't seem to find a stock that I like without spending the price of another rifle to fit my .920 barrel. For the time being, I would like to sand out the channel on my original wooden stock.

I know that it's been done a thousand times but I've never ran across an DIY. I've heard that you can use a broom stick with sandpaper. Is this the best method? And should I try to free float the barrel? I already have a barrel but I'm still in the process of ordering parts such as a quality v-block if that matters, before I start the mod.

Thanks fellas.

Oh, and I heard that using CCI Stingers is a no no. Do you guys recommend a particular .22LR to try?

cdrxls
01-10-2011, 9:54 AM
i used a 3/4 forster bit and clamped the stock on a vise and used the drill press to remove most of the wood, then use a hand rasp or round file to get the rest, not an easy task but doable. go slow and careful. good luck

i can post some pics later.

UserM4
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
i used a 3/4 forster bit and clamped the stock on a vise and used the drill press to remove most of the wood, then use a hand rasp or round file to get the rest, not an easy task but doable. go slow and careful. good luck

i can post some pics later.

Oh wow. That seems beyond my capabilities. Sounds a lot tougher than some people lead on. :(

toby
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
....location??

UserM4
01-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Orange County

toby
01-10-2011, 2:26 PM
PM sent. ^^^

MongooseV8
01-10-2011, 5:27 PM
7/8" Dowel can be found at your local big box hardware store.

Get at least 18" and wrap some sand paper around the dowel starting with about 60 or 80 grit.

Once you get close to your goal switch to a finer grit, 120 then 200 for final sanding.

I would not free float your barrel unless you have added a second action screw and your receiver and barrel are threaded together. You can use a more coarse or fine sandpaper depending on how clean you want it to turn out. Be careful not to over do it and get the barrel channel crooked, just take your time and drop the receiver/barrel in the stock often to check for fit.

xenophobe
01-10-2011, 5:32 PM
My two favorite stocks for the 10/22 are the Hogue Overmold and the Barracuda.... the first is relatively inexpensive and has an amazing rubber texture grip. It's well worth the price, IMO. The second... is a bit pricey.

bombadillo
01-10-2011, 5:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the Fajen Legacy stocks with adjustable LOP, Comb height, angle and has a thumbhole.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=579936
This one is only $89 bucks.

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=HO22010
Or this for $69 that looks like a factory stock for a .920 bbl

Some Guy
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Used a deep socket wrapped with 150 grit, slow but sure.