PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a OLL?

Yeemix
08-09-2006, 9:58 PM
Hello everyone, I've been lurking and searching this forum and I've picked up so much knowledge it's amazing. The reason why I'm posting is for opinions. Can you recommend me an OLL? I've found various manufacturers, Vulcan, Fab 10, etc...but I would like your personal opinions. Pros and cons of your own oll?

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to building a rifle, so I would like a compete lower, just to ease the project. Short of simple field stripping of my Glock, that's about the extent of my armory skills.

So is it as simple as this?

1. Order my complete lower, have it sent to an FFL
2. Order my upper, I'm interested in an M4 style, 16" barrel
3. Put them together.
4. Buy tons of ammo

Thanks again to everyone, this website has been a great resource for people like me.

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, however you've listed the two brands you should stay away from in your post. :)

Vulcan - bad quality control
Fab-10 - more or less perma-gimped so it can never be a free-state rifle if you leave CA or whatnot.

The rest are all good brands. I'm personally a fan of CMMG and Mega the most, though.

xenophobe
08-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes, anything but a vulcan or fab-10. The prettiest logo/rollmarks or what fits budget... That's what you should concentrate on.

Charliegone
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Get the one that started it all...Stag.:D Thats if you like the deer head.

Ryan HBC
08-09-2006, 10:28 PM
If you are still considering Vulcan and FAB10 as your front runners, you have more reading to do!

I think Stag is the best CA bang for the buck. A nice CMT cut lower with a nice finish. They seem to be plentiful in California, and always had for under $100 + fees.

I personally own 5 different makes of OLL's, and I like my CMMG's the best. CMMG also offers a huge selection of some of the best quality uppers around. I like to see my rifles having matching upper and lower receivers, but it isn't necessary.

The SoCal Gunner
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Most are pretty much the same except some have teflon coats making them shiny over the black packered which is flat. Go for whatever logo you like best or whatever is cheapest so you can buy more than one.

I have 2 CMMG and everything comes through, will have 1 Mega and 1 Doublestar. Would have been 2 Megas but might as well have some variety.

Yeemix
08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
If you are still considering Vulcan and FAB10 as your front runners, you have more reading to do!

I just threw these out for some crazy reason, but it shows what a noobie I am, listing the two oll that seem to be at the bottom of the wanted list.

anotherone
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Whatever you do act soon. With the August 16th hearing around the corner and AB2728 in the hopper who knows what will become of the OLL movement. Be sure to build up quickly in case registration does actually happen.

adamsreeftank
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
High Standard is made by the same company as Stag and may be more available. They are both great receivers with nice finish work on the forgings and a good tight lockup with your upper.

williamkwong
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I have 3 Double Star lowers. Love em. Cant comment on anything else.

xenophobe
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM

Actually, that's not the one that started it all... here, it would have been the CTR-02 and then the Fulton ZM4.

five.five-six
08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
+1 on the stag, I am very happy with mine

I have a vulcan as well that I am happy with. I am not so happy. with my hesse but what else are you going to do for a .308? and after 10 hours of work and a re-finish job it works just fine

Hopi
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Actually, that's not the one that started it all... here, it would have been the CTR-02 and then the Fulton ZM4.

Didn't a certain someone have some DSA lowers in his hands very very early (pre-10%/fulton snafu) and didn't show his hand untill after Ben posted the pictures of his kitchen?
I believe the member in question might have been the first with OLL's in his possesion.

bwiese
08-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Didn't a certain someone have some DSA lowers in his hands very very early (pre-10%/fulton snafu) and didn't show his hand untill after Ben posted the pictures of his kitchen? I believe the member in question might have been the first with OLL's in his possesion.

Yes, as far as we can tell, the first legal OLL deliberately acquired in CA since Jun 2001 Harrott decision was blackrazor's DSA lower(s).

Artherd/Ben's CTR02 was next, and then the flood of Stags orchestrated by Wes at 10% Firearms (with a bit of prompting/help from yours truly).

[Note that I say deliberately... this does not include AR lowers that remained unlisted after Kasler decision in Aug of 2000, and weren't registered (and which were thus illegally possessed from Jan 23 2001 until Jun 28 2001), or unlisted lowers brought into CA without knowledge of CA laws, etc.]

There are quite a few reg'd AR-type rifles that are actually Cat III guns because they were not Kasler-listed. For example, two of my ARs are ASA ASA-15s, which were never listed.

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I think so, I saw a DSA ZM4 letter dated in August.

I just picked up a POF too. Looks just like the Mega. I have more lowers than I know what to do with.

Stag 5.56
Stag 6.8
Sun Devil
DSA ZM4
CMMG MOD4SA
LMT Defender 2000
Mega Gator
POF P-415

I think that does it. The sad thing is I have only one really compelte rifle, the Mega has a RRA 9mm upper on it, but I have no 10 round magazines. I am going to try and fix that tomorrow. I do have a Bushmaster V-Match 20", but that pretty much stays on my FAB-10 for now.

I did talk to LMT today and they said they are shipping the Shot Show CQB packages! I wonder how long until they get to us??? Hopefully soon, that will be my first real OLL upper, well in .223 at least. My Bushmaster was pre-November 2005.

If anyone is interested in off-loading anymore FAB-10s, I might be interested again. I can always use some more floor models.

And since none of this post of mine really had anything to do with you question, I will now answer it. Any lower will do, except Vulcan or FAB-10. Just get one.

One more thing, how are you going to prove that you had a built up OLL if and when they screw with the regulations? On the converse, how are they going to prove you didn't?

rips31
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
i've built up a stag and have an ameetec and doublestar waiting for uppers. the ameetec/doublestar have a nicer finish than the stag, but the stag looks cool w/the matching upper.

midnitereaper
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM

+1 Like the deer head :D

Jicko
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Yes, as far as we can tell, the first legal OLL deliberately acquired in CA since Jun 2001 Harrott decision was blackrazor's DSA lower(s).

That particular DSA lower together with the "letter" should be framed and put in some California firearm museum!!!! It is definitely an important piece of CA firearm history!!! :D

Any pic of it? What's the serial?

xrMike
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
With the August 16th hearing around the corner and AB2728 in the hopper who knows what will become of the OLL movement. Be sure to build up quickly in case registration does actually happen.In the unlikely event we do have to register in some way, I was under the impression it would just apply to the lower receiver, not a complete rifle... Am I wrong? Would we be required to register a complete rifle?

EDIT: Never mind, just saw this thread (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38269) which covers the same question...

Gary O
08-10-2006, 5:11 PM
I aquired a Mega Gator from a member. Very nice. PM me to follow up.
Gary

AWrootbeer
08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
10%.. how does your mega fit with the rra 9mm upper? i've been wanting to fit my mega with an rra upper but haven't made the move yet based off a few problems i occassionally read about rra upper paired with non-rra lowers

although i might just buy a mega upper and complete the whole thing myself :D

bwiese
08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
10%.. how does your mega fit with the rra 9mm upper? i've been wanting to fit my mega with an rra upper but haven't made the move yet based off a few problems i occassionally read about rra upper paired with non-rra lowers

although i might just buy a mega upper and complete the whole thing myself :D

Hmm, then don't buy an RRA upper receiver, get another brand and (if you're looking for 9mm) just get their bbl, bolt, etc. and use it on your upper receiver (the FBA will likely be useless but who cares?)

RRA seems to have a freaky spec that results in really tight upper vs lower fits (meaning hard-to-dislodge takedown pin). RRA blames others, but, as well as others, think it's an RRA problem.

Your alternative is to get a Colt 9mm conversion kit. They're out there, and even if used are just fine.