PDA

View Full Version : Quick AK mag question

Solidsnake87
08-09-2006, 6:34 PM
I was wondering if there are any companies out there that make a 10 round AK mag that has the appearance of a 30 round mag? If not, I was wondering if it was legal to buy a magazine housing and make one?

leelaw
08-09-2006, 6:43 PM
I am not aware of any company that sells such an AK magazine (except for the CA-approved AK, but that costs $700 and includes a rifle)

It is legal to buy full magazine replacement parts for a 30 or 40 round magazine, and then, without ever assembling them into a 30 or 40 round magazine, permanently modify the magazine in some way such that it only holds 10 rounds. At that point you can reassemble it into a full (perm. fixed to ten rounds max. capacity) magazine.

The best way I can think of to do this would be to have a friend from out of state uby the 30 round magazine, disassemble it, and send you the follower in one package, and the rest of the parts in a second package.

JHC
08-09-2006, 6:52 PM
Or go to the Reno show this weekend and buy some, disassemble the mag and throw away the follower( or mail it to yourself) , and modify whats left when you get home. US followers can be bought from Copes, Centerfire, Tapco etc.

Whatever you do, dont risk becoming a felon by bringing in a whole magazine.

Solidsnake87
08-09-2006, 8:28 PM
so if i were to buy a mag housing online would it be illegal?? I've also heard that there are like federal agents or CA police or something that like to go to these shows just to catch CA residents buying this kind of stuff. I've heard this from several friends.

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 8:49 PM
so if i were to buy a mag housing online would it be illegal?? I've also heard that there are like federal agents or CA police or something that like to go to these shows just to catch CA residents buying this kind of stuff. I've heard this from several friends.

You mean mag body. As long as you aren't ordering a whole mag, it's legal.

Solidsnake87
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Does anybody know a site that carries just the 30rnd outer mag body?

leelaw
08-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Ask a friend who lives in another state....

...Or someone who is going to the Reno Gun Show this weekend.

ETA: mag body only

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 11:28 PM

Brownells carries AR bodies, but I don't know any site that carries 30rd AK bodies.

You'd probably have to get an out of state friend to order a bunch of mags, pop the floorplates and gut 'em, then ship you the results in two boxes. That's just due to lack of availability...

Actually, I think CWS or Spreadfire or DD's might be inclined to help out in this regard, if you were to ask nicely. They're quite understanding about lowers, after all... for the mags, you just depress a button to slide off the floorplate.

JPglee1
08-10-2006, 6:18 AM
Ive thought about making some and reselling them, you can get bodies if you look around...

What are they worth?

J

P.S. How about a drum limited to 10rds :D

Solidsnake87
08-10-2006, 6:37 AM
A drum limited to 10 rounds is easy. I'm quite an airsoft guy and the airsoft AK drum mags are steel and 1:1 scale. Just lob off the part that locks into the airsoft and spot weld a 10 rounder in place. On a side note, Is anybody going to the reno gun show that can aquire some of these 30 rounders, and parts, for me?

JPglee1
08-10-2006, 7:08 AM
A drum limited to 10 rounds is easy. I'm quite an airsoft guy and the airsoft AK drum mags are steel and 1:1 scale. Just lob off the part that locks into the airsoft and spot weld a 10 rounder in place. On a side note, Is anybody going to the reno gun show that can aquire some of these 30 rounders, and parts, for me?

Yah that would work, but I was thinking more like a real steel AK drum limited to 10rds.

How much are some limited 30rd mags worth anyway?? :cool: :D

J

grammaton76
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Worth $0 to me; I've got a bunch of 30rd pre-ban mags, plus two 10rd mags I bought for my PAR-1 to avoid sticking out and raising questions. Yeah, I know, why'd I bother... :)

Solidsnake87
08-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Can anybody aquire 4 30 rounders legally so I can make 10 rounders out of them? I'll pay $50 for 4

JPglee1
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Can anybody aquire 4 30 rounders legally so I can make 10 rounders out of them? I'll pay $50 for 4

I bet you would... LOL

They are about $12 each as it is, plus shipping, plus $$$ to convert them.

I'll sell you 2 AK mag bodies, empty, for $100. :cool: :eek:

JP

mailman
08-10-2006, 12:51 PM
i'll do two empties for $90

Solidsnake87
08-10-2006, 1:23 PM
I'll just have some friends in Nevada do it then. I'll pay $40 for 2. Thats my last offer.

Cato
08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
I'll take a couple, too! Someone has to offer a 10 round with the 30 round look!

Solidsnake87
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
I totoally agree. I was just asking for somebody to do me a favor since it seemed many are going to the reno gunshow. I'm not gonna let some guy try and take advantage of me. LOL. $100 for 2 bloody magazines. I can just buy some 30 round metal airsoft mags and convert them if i wanted to. I just want them to be the real deal. I'm more than willing to call some friends in nevada to get the hookup of some mags and i'll covert them. I'll get about 50 and convert them. If anybody is interested I'll sell them @ $15 each, which is pretty fair I think. I'll sell them to JPglee1 and the other guy for $100 and $90 respectively. I should have all 50 ready to go in about a month.

JPglee1
08-11-2006, 9:31 PM
I'll get about 50 and convert them. If anybody is interested I'll sell them @ $15 each, which is pretty fair I think. I'll sell them to JPglee1 and the other guy for $100 and $90 respectively. I should have all 50 ready to go in about a month.

Just as an FYI I was being a smart arse, theres no way I would sell my legal preban mags as low caps, they are irreplaceable, and thats why I jokingly said $100.

If you can get mags and convert them and refinish them for $15 each ready to use in the gun as a 10rd mag, I will applaud you.

Im not gonna give it away but theres a way to do it where you cannot convert themback without destroying parts... Use your head make sure they aren't restoreable (anything is reversible, but make it where they will be hard to undo for an average dude. A machinist can make anything lol)

J

Cato
08-11-2006, 9:40 PM
I totoally agree. I was just asking for somebody to do me a favor since it seemed many are going to the reno gunshow. I'm not gonna let some guy try and take advantage of me. LOL. $100 for 2 bloody magazines. I can just buy some 30 round metal airsoft mags and convert them if i wanted to. I just want them to be the real deal. I'm more than willing to call some friends in nevada to get the hookup of some mags and i'll covert them. I'll get about 50 and convert them. If anybody is interested I'll sell them @ $15 each, which is pretty fair I think. I'll sell them to JPglee1 and the other guy for $100 and $90 respectively. I should have all 50 ready to go in about a month.
__________________________________________________ _
Let us know when they are ready!

Solidsnake87
08-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm no novice to metalwork. The mags will not be reversible unless you litterally re-open the mags with a band saw, cut out the stopper welded in place and re-weld them shut. These will be permanent 10 rounders. I've been getting hits from another guy who is interested in helping me with the project. He has convinced me to deal them out @ $30 each. I'll let you all know when they are finished.

nosewitdot
08-26-2006, 8:14 PM
any updates on these AK 30 round mags in development?

Cato
08-26-2006, 9:01 PM
any updates on these AK 30 round mags in development?

Hi,
Thanks for browsing our site. The 30/10rd mags were a custom creation we had between C Products and us and is only sold thru us (exclusive director of distribution), Cold War Shooters, and Ten Percent Firearms. If there is a real demand (ie 100 or more) for these mags, yes we will go ahead with them. So its a matter of people actually wanting them in quantity to make it worth our while to stock 100s at a time... But for now, the AR rifles are taking the lead on popularity of these magazines...

Remember, you can get 10rd AK mags from CDNN Investments for $6.99 each so why bother for stainless steel - magpul - chrome silicon springs, etc....
Pat

I'd really like to see polymer mags with fake rounds all the way to the bottom a la airsoft Sig 552 magazines.

Email them, pester them, tell your friends, there has to be at least 50 of us who want at least 2 mags each.

blkA4alb
08-26-2006, 9:04 PM
I would buy one.

nosewitdot
08-26-2006, 10:01 PM
so, if i were in a free state, i would be able to buy hi cap mags and dissasemble them for the bodies. would i be able to ship the followers home and carry the mag bodies in my luggage? or would airlines take them from me?

Cato
08-27-2006, 1:01 AM
so, if i were in a free state, i would be able to buy hi cap mags and dissasemble them for the bodies. would i be able to ship the followers home and carry the mag bodies in my luggage? or would airlines take them from me?

Someone suggested you mail it to yourself. I dont know if that can be done US mail.

Solidsnake87
08-27-2006, 9:50 PM
I've had trouble getting the ak mags but I have made designs based on my 10 rounder's dimensions that should work. I have had great success for converting 30 or 40 round AR-15 mags to 10 rounders and still maintaining a perfect 30 or 40 round look. I've made several for some buddies. I kind of forgot about this post. I should be getting some AK 30-40 round housings within the next few weeks so I can tinker with them. I'll let you all know how it works when I do.

nosewitdot
08-28-2006, 1:00 PM
what is your method to block more than 10 rounds?

grammaton76
08-28-2006, 1:24 PM
what is your method to block more than 10 rounds?

Most folks are drilling holes through the mag and inserting pins, then using some piece of metal as a floorplate resting on those pins. Dunno what these guys are doing, though.

grammaton76
08-28-2006, 1:26 PM
I'd really like to see polymer mags with fake rounds all the way to the bottom a la airsoft Sig 552 magazines.

Email them, pester them, tell your friends, there has to be at least 50 of us who want at least 2 mags each.

Get them to block off the top of the magazine and leave the bottom open.

I've got a reloading press set for 7.62x39mm, and already offered to build inert 7.62x39mm rounds for sale on the 'other' board... :) Sales aren't allowed here, so I didn't post it here.

Those inert rounds would be exactly what you're looking for. Spent primer, real projectile and brass, corncob media as fake gunpowder.

Solidsnake87
08-28-2006, 5:30 PM
If you examine the mags carfully you'll see the spot weld dents where the 2 stamped halves were welded together. Basically I stripped the finish off the front and back of the mag and measured how far down I needed to place a welded stopper. I noticed, to my great surprise, that one of the spot welds already on the mag lined up with the correct 10 round length. I then cut the spring to 10 round length. Then I took a piece of 18 guage steel and spot welded it up inside the mag canal (re-welding over the existing spot weld so that the mag looks as if was still untouched) at the correct height in order to achieve 10 rounds. (some friends wanted it to be 5 rounds capacity for the state they were in). Bascially, after the weld just apply a new finish and you have urself a 10 rounder with a 30 round look. Then just place one of those mag releases that fixes the mag on ur rifle so that you can pivot open the receivers and load like your typical 10 rounders. The best thing about this set-up is that it is impossible to return the mag to 30 rounds without destroying the mag or cutting it in half.

Noonanda
08-30-2006, 6:07 AM
Well Im glad to see that Im not the only one with this kind of Idea. I wrote DOJ a letter last year asking this very question and they said it is legal as long as you cant convert it back. Since right now I live in a free state, I took advantage of Sportmans guide 6 fer 50 and 12 fer 80, so I have some mags to experiment with LOL. probably will do a 5 rd mag and a 10 rd, I may fix my mag or just register it as an AW (Mil exempt) and use the 30 rders I had before the ban.