PDA

View Full Version : Upper half help needed

maxiss
08-09-2006, 5:24 PM
I am ready for my first build now that i got my mag and lock out of the way..Its time for the upper. Stag,RRA or Model1? It all seems to be about the same price.....Thanks

bu-bye
08-09-2006, 5:47 PM
Stag, RRA, Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Colt all make nice uppers. There have been mixed feelings about Model1 but their prices are better then any of the major MFG's. I bought my upper from CMMG and it has worked great. Don't cheap out on an upper because that is the true heart of the rifle. Find the upper with the features you like (varmit, tactical, service rifle) then look at all the companies and read reviews on other forums and websites.

Hanniballs
08-09-2006, 5:49 PM
also look at what www.del-ton.com has.

PIRATE14
08-09-2006, 7:25 PM
I am ready for my first build now that i got my mag and lock out of the way..Its time for the upper. Stag,RRA or Model1? It all seems to be about the same price.....Thanks

STAG and RRA have limited lifetime warranties, makes a difference to some.

Were you looking for a M4 style or Varmint...etc.

Most of the STAG uppers come w/ some type of sight except 3H.

Go chrome lined......:D

I assume you're going for a flat-top for optics later?

Basically figure out what type of shooting you want if for and go from there.

maxiss
08-09-2006, 7:40 PM
i was going to build a 20" A2 but along the way I change my mind...I am now thinking about a 16" flatop chrome lined setup. It will be used for fun at the range nothing serious and would like to scope it one day also..

C.G.
08-09-2006, 8:27 PM
Stag or RRA (or any other major vendor like Bushmaster or Armalite). Skip Model 1.

RainierArms
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't think you will find a better value than STAG arms right now. Their machining is fantastic (fit and finish is perfect). Chrome lined barrel is standard.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/623beae4f46e05920495789a82b731c1.jpg

bwiese
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Stay away from Model1. While some folks may luck out, they are nowhere near milspec and have not had a great reputation. No chrome lined barrel, over-tight and/or rough chambers, poor quality springs, lousy buffers, etc. In the past, most of the ARs I've had to help debug that were otherwise OK (proper ammo, lubrication, magazines) have been from 'bottom feeders' like Model1, M&A Parts, Sherluk Mktg, and Olympic Arms.

And I'd go with Stag over Rock River Arms. I keep hearing RRAs have very tight fits on other brands of lowers and that they're slightly outta spec for pin position - something you wanna avoid with a break-open rifle.

Bushmaster is a good option, as are uppers from BravoCompanyUSA.

Jicko
08-11-2006, 1:18 PM
I don't think you will find a better value than STAG arms right now. Their machining is fantastic (fit and finish is perfect). Chrome lined barrel is standard.

I must agree with you that STAG ARMS's product is top-notch.... BUT(a BIG BUT) they no longer have 1/7 barrels... the ONLY barrels they have is 1/9... which won't do heavy bullets too well...

Ironballs
08-11-2006, 1:47 PM
Del-ton uppers are winners,.. hand fitted/tested, and with the option of a chromed bolt and carrier- personally, i would not build/buy an upper without it (chromed bolt/carrier, and bbl)..

there may be a group buy on them now (if it has not expired)... and i have an m4 from them for sale now (bump):)

mltrading
08-11-2006, 3:08 PM
LMT uppers are really nice. (1/7, chrome-lined, M4 feedramps). All my customers are satisified.;)

bwiese
08-11-2006, 9:02 PM
i would not build/buy an upper without it (chromed bolt/carrier, and bbl)..

Make sure you don't get a fully-chromed bolt carrier. It should be hard-chromed on the inside of the hole where the bolt fits, but the outside should NOT chromed, etc. US Gov stopped doing that in the 1960s when they found out it cause premature wear in the upper receiver.

Just use a regular quality bolt carrier.

|-007-|
08-27-2006, 7:10 PM
I'm looking at the Stag-15 model 1. I could see myself putting some optics on it later; can I remove the handle off of the model 1 upper? Or do I need to buy a whole new upper (like the A.R.M.S. #40 A2)? Maybe it's possible to add optics to a handle sight?

Edit: Stag sales got back to me- the carry handle is removable.