PDA

View Full Version : Polish Tokarev Issues

iareConfusE
01-09-2011, 9:07 PM
I brought my Tokarev that I purchased from another CGN member to the range today and put 70 rounds through it. About 4 out of the 7 rounds I loaded into the magazine were problematic, through I doubt the problem has to do with the magazine or the ammo itself. I had constant failures to extract, which caused double feeds. Sometimes the extractor would pull the spent shell out, but the ejector wouldn't kick it out, and the shell would just be sitting on top of the next round in the magazine. Sometimes the extractor completely failed to grab onto the shell and just slipped, leaving the spent shell in the chamber and causing a double feed.

Is this a common problem with Tokarevs? Would I be able to just replace the extractor spring in hopes that a stronger spring would help the claw grab more tightly? As it is right now, the extractor spring feels dead, like it isn't even applying any pressure at all on the extractor. I can wiggle the extractor around my just gently poking at it.

I'm using the Polish milsurp ammo, if that info is of any help.

Edit: LOL Nevermind I think I found my problem. I was able to push the extractor pin out. Guess what? THERE WAS NO EXTRACTOR SPRING!

VegasND
01-09-2011, 9:15 PM
Clean it and try shooting it again; it's likely that may be all it needs.

tboyer
01-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Clean it, and put some grease on the rails, wheel bearing
grease should work

j.primo
01-11-2011, 2:40 AM
Did the CGN member who sold it you know there was no extractor spring in it?

iareConfusE
01-11-2011, 6:43 AM
Did the CGN member who sold it you know there was no extractor spring in it?

I've already ordered a replacement spring for it. Hopefully that will fix all of my issues.

edit: seller responded, reimbursing me for the spring I bought. All should be good to go when it arrives.

smle-man
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I accidentally left the extractor spring out of my Tokarev and it actually worked pretty darn well, about 90% reliable. I was surprised.

morrcarr67
01-11-2011, 3:23 PM
I've already ordered a replacement spring for it. Hopefully that will fix all of my issues.

edit: seller responded, reimbursing me for the spring I bought. All should be good to go when it arrives.

Sounds like a stand up seller. Glad to hear that things will work out for you. :)

iareConfusE
01-11-2011, 8:15 PM
Sounds like a stand up seller. Glad to hear that things will work out for you. :)

He sure is. Hopefully the spring is all that will be needed to fix the issues. If not, I'll have to do a bit more research :)

iareConfusE
01-16-2011, 9:50 AM
So, the extractor spring did finally fix all of the problems with the gun, however I almost lost the spring while firing. I got REALLY lucky that the spring just fell out onto my shooting bench instead of flying off somewhere amidst the sea of brass and dark colored concrete. The extractor pin is incredibly easy to push out with a small punch. Barely any force is required to get it to slide all the way out, so during firing my pin came loose and popped out, dropping the spring and leaving the extractor hanging from the side.

My solution, probably something as simple and primitive as any Russian would do. Duct tape. I put a small piece of duct tape right over the pin to hold it down, and it works perfectly. Pin doesn't drift itself out, and the duct tape seems to be an appropriate application for such a crude gun. I love this thing.

VegasND
01-16-2011, 2:04 PM
I lost the extractor spring on my Polish the same way. I bought a replacement from buymilsurp and found it easy to install. I used a bit of loctite on my pin, but mine was not nearly as loose as yours is.

Enjoy! It's a great little pistol -- next up, I've got a 9mm barrel to try out in it. I won't shoot 9mm because 7.62 is so cheap, but it'll be cool to have the option.
So, the extractor spring did finally fix all of the problems with the gun, however I almost lost the spring while firing. I got REALLY lucky that the spring just fell out onto my shooting bench instead of flying off somewhere amidst the sea of brass and dark colored concrete. The extractor pin is incredibly easy to push out with a small punch. Barely any force is required to get it to slide all the way out, so during firing my pin came loose and popped out, dropping the spring and leaving the extractor hanging from the side.

My solution, probably something as simple and primitive as any Russian would do. Duct tape. I put a small piece of duct tape right over the pin to hold it down, and it works perfectly. Pin doesn't drift itself out, and the duct tape seems to be an appropriate application for such a crude gun. I love this thing.

morrcarr67
01-16-2011, 2:14 PM
I don't own one so i have to ask. Is it a roll pin? If so couldn't you open it up a little to make it fit better?

timdps
01-16-2011, 9:00 PM
Pretty sure that the Russians don't do roll pins...:D

tim

iareConfusE
01-17-2011, 1:11 AM
I don't own one so i have to ask. Is it a roll pin? If so couldn't you open it up a little to make it fit better?

Nope not a roll pin. Just.. a pin :D Seems to have lost it's circumference, so it's pretty much useless now. Duct tape to the rescue!

BigRich
01-17-2011, 1:37 AM
Slightly flatten an end that fits flush to the slide it will hold better once tapped back into place. You can also position the pin and use a ***** punch to make three equally spaced indents around the pin hole. Do this on both ends if possible.

iareConfusE
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Slightly flatten an end that fits flush to the slide it will hold better once tapped back into place. You can also position the pin and use a ***** punch to make three equally spaced indents around the pin hole. Do this on both ends if possible.

Hm I didn't think about peening the ends of the pin... I may have to try that out...

bayboydray408
01-18-2011, 6:16 PM
I have a tokarev and ive had the same problem, I found out that my gas setting was to high so back it off to 1.3, Thats where I have it now and its works great with all different ammo.

Fate
01-18-2011, 6:26 PM
I have a tokarev and ive had the same problem, I found out that my gas setting was to high so back it off to 1.3, Thats where I have it now and its works great with all different ammo.

Uhh...wrong gun. The OP is talking about a TT-33, you're talking about a SVT-40

;)

http://fixitnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/homer-doh-square.jpg