PDA

View Full Version : shotgun recoil?

CalNRA
08-09-2006, 1:05 PM
I have been told many things. people have told me when I was a kid that a shotgun, such as a 12 gauge pump, would knock a person down, would break your shoulder, would...

then I started to shoot skeet and some game when I was 12 or 13. Then these expert shooter told me tha just wait till I shoot some slugs.

Even today, at the range, on the web, etc, people keep *****ing about the recoil of slugs. How they need low-recoil rounds to shoot well, how the recoil-reducing grip/stock/whatever is necessary for shooting slugs.

When I first shot a 3" magnum slug people were telling me that I was a fool and shouldn't do it. well I shot it and lived to tell it. I always stand when I shoot and even the 3" slugs are very forgiving in my opinion. Each type i go shooting I shoot 20-30 slugs(not more than that due to the cost of slugs) and then the 45 would seem like a BB gun.

so what's the deal with people hyping the "shotgun recoil"? I'm not a tall person, and consider my self to be of average size and build, and I use a basic Mossy(used to shoot a winchester that my dad owns) with 18 inch barrel and plastic stock with no techno-gimicks. I just plain don't see what the big deal is.

Is anyone else as irritated at the "the slug gun will kick like a mule" crowd? I been kicked by a mule before and the shotgun is very, very gentle, believe me. Maybe I just have been shooting guns too long to understand what the fuss is all about?

Josh
08-09-2006, 1:29 PM
its all about perspective.

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 1:38 PM
Is anyone else as irritated at the "the slug gun will kick like a mule" crowd? I been kicked by a mule before and the shotgun is very, very gentle, believe me. Maybe I just have been shooting guns too long to understand what the fuss is all about?

Yes. I'm also irritated by the "Mosin-nagants will dislocate your shoulder!" crowd and the "No one could fire a Desert Eagle one-handed!" crowd.

I will however reserve judgement about the "500S&W will break your wrist one-handed" crowd, as I've never fired that so I can't say for sure. I know my wrist has survived a 454 Casull one handed...

CalNRA
08-09-2006, 1:45 PM
Yes. I'm also irritated by the "Mosin-nagants will dislocate your shoulder!" crowd

if a bunch of half starved Russian farm boys can fire it, I think the well-nourished Americans can *maybe* survive it.... ;)

SFV_Dealer
08-09-2006, 1:54 PM
Yeah, wimps when we are at peace. Think what would happen in war or terrorism - no thought of "recoil".... Everything you shoot would be a pea shooter!

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 1:55 PM
if a bunch of half starved Russian farm boys can fire it, I think the well-nourished Americans can *maybe* survive it.... ;)

Ah, but to hear this crowd speak, it's obvious that the Russian farm boys were regarded as expendable. So, they'd run up to the lines, sight their Mosin-Nagant cannon, and fire - which would shatter their shoulder and leave them to die of internal bleeding. The next Russian farm boy would run up, shoulder the rifle, chamber a round, and suffer the same fate.

Germans were eventually repulsed by the stacked-high mounds of shoulder-shattered Russians, and left the scene of the battle.

NYC2SoCal
08-09-2006, 1:58 PM
I think most of these recoil stories are made by people that don't know how to hold, handle and shoot the shotgun properly...

SFV_Dealer
08-09-2006, 2:24 PM
Yup, Take a lesson at Gun Site or Loius Awerbuck in Arizona! They'll teach you how to properly hold and shoot a shotgun. Now I can shoot 500 rds of full power 12ga slugs without a hitch.... However I do need a Advil or Tylenol at the end of the day for a headache.... Not too bad for 500rds of slugs.

VeryCoolCat
08-09-2006, 2:26 PM
Well I got a double barrel 12 gauge waiting in dros.

I've shot my FN TPS (m4 telescopic stock) with 3" Magnum slugs.... its bearable... I want to try double barreling 2 shots of buck. :D

CalNRA
08-09-2006, 5:44 PM
Yup, Take a lesson at Gun Site or Loius Awerbuck in Arizona! They'll teach you how to properly hold and shoot a shotgun. Now I can shoot 500 rds of full power 12ga slugs without a hitch.... However I do need a Advil or Tylenol at the end of the day for a headache.... Not too bad for 500rds of slugs.

you mean the whole triangulation thing where you push your shooting hand forward to counter the recoil before it even starts?

that's what my grandpa taught me when he led me use his 12 gauge SxS. felt just fine.... works for most people I shoot with.

CalNRA
08-09-2006, 5:45 PM
Ah, but to hear this crowd speak, it's obvious that the Russian farm boys were regarded as expendable. So, they'd run up to the lines, sight their Mosin-Nagant cannon, and fire - which would shatter their shoulder and leave them to die of internal bleeding. The next Russian farm boy would run up, shoulder the rifle, chamber a round, and suffer the same fate.

Germans were eventually repulsed by the stacked-high mounds of shoulder-shattered Russians, and left the scene of the battle.

somone has been "Enemy at the Gates" one too many times....:eek: :D

kennisonxgs
08-09-2006, 7:13 PM
I dunno. I thought the Mosin kicked less than the 12.
As for the Russians, they had on big heavy coats so I would think that absorbed most of the recoil.

Socal858
08-09-2006, 7:16 PM
almost ten years ago when i was 13 (5'10 135 pounds of blistering FURY) i shot my 12 gauge 870 just fine with a cheapy butler creek recoil pad.

i guess its just what youre used to, i shoot magnum loads just fine now (now 6'2 190 and my shoulder laughs at them)

sooo anybody in the inland empire got a mosin? :D

M. Sage
08-09-2006, 7:32 PM
so what's the deal with people hyping the "shotgun recoil"?

They're sissies. :P

Or... like my uncle who hurt himself on my Mossberg 835 not once, but THREE times, they haven't got great form.

Nothing shows a bad cheek weld or poor shoulder contact/position like a 12 gauge with slugs. Usually in the form of a bruise.

I learned to shoot bird shot out of a single-shot 16 gauge at 11, got used to slugs and buckshot with a 20 gauge Ithaca Model 37 at 14, and I was kind of small for my age.

Edit: I have a 91/30 and I'll tell you Mosins don't kick that hard... I usually waste over 100 rounds of surplus on each range trip. My shoulder is stiff the next day, but not dead.

sargenv
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I used to shoot nothing but high velocity, rather medium to heavy loads (1300-1400 fps, 1 1/8 ounces). Until one day when I noticed I was getting a lot of headaches. I then switched up to a high velocity lighter load ( 1350 fps, 7/8 ounce shot). I also noticed that it was costing me less money to load the high velocity light loads than it was to load the high recoil, heavier load of shot. I still use nothing but full power slugs when I shoot 2 or 3 gun matches (S&B, 1 ounce at 1500 fps+). They are cheaper to shoot than the special low-recoil loads most of the other people shoot, but then I also haven't bored out the gas ports in my Gold as they have in their 1100/11-87/Benelli's. The heavier loaded slugs will batter a semi with the gas ports opened up.

I found that the high velocity lower recoil stuff allowed me to get on the second clay better than the heavier stuff in Skeet though I did find that the higher recoil heavier loads helped on distance targets in games like sporting clays and trap. Why do people exagerrate? Who knows.. Mostly those who say "it'll take your arm/shoulder off" are what I refer to as gun shop commandos or Mall Ninjas who don't have a clue about what real recoil is. If it were true that a double rifle in 375 H&H would break your bones.. why the heck are they so favored for dangerous game in Africa?

Vince

OptionX3
08-09-2006, 11:48 PM
I think its all relative, for me
Recoil of; 12ga 2 3/4" slug= 7.62x54R out of M38 carbine=M2 surplus 30-06 out of bolt action. Little felt difference comes down to softer rubber butt pad vs. Steel butt plate. Now if I could just get my hand oh a .50 BMG. :drool:
People talk of recoil of 5.56? hmm... come again?

Josh
08-10-2006, 12:33 AM
almost ten years ago when i was 13 (5'10 135 pounds of blistering FURY) i shot my 12 gauge 870 just fine with a cheapy butler creek recoil pad.

i guess its just what youre used to, i shoot magnum loads just fine now (now 6'2 190 and my shoulder laughs at them)

sooo anybody in the inland empire got a mosin? :D

Dude you were 5'10" at 13!

Mudvayne540ld
08-10-2006, 3:21 AM
hehe
sounds like me now..... cept im 18. tho 137lbs :P
yea.... shotguns are no biggie. :D

Socal858
08-10-2006, 8:08 AM
keep in mind guys that recoil operated semi autos will recoil a lot less than a pump

The Soup Nazi
08-10-2006, 8:21 AM
You have to remember that the Russians were usually wearing very heavy cotton clothing, if not their coats, a thick telogreika which would probably take a lot of the blow. Right here, its basically t-shirt or dri-fit polyster shirts.

CaCrusin
08-10-2006, 9:15 AM
Being in the recoil-reduction business, I find this whole thread fascinating. All of you are talking about how well you tolerate pain and injury. The "I can handle more recoil than you!" comments will come next. Personnally, I hate recoil. I love to shoot and recoil, and the fatique and discomfort that comes with it, reduce that enjoyment. I like big guns like my .375 H&H, but buying a new scope and sighting it in convinced me that benchrest shooting a .375 is to be avoided.

Once I got a Knoxx Rifle CompStock, I found that I could shoot the .375 like my old .270 Winchester and now run through 50 or 60 rounds at a time. My reloading bill is huge. Same with my shotguns. It's not that I can't tolerate the pain, I simply choose not to.

Answer me this: Why would you drive a car with a solid suspension when springs and shocks are available? Why would you shoot wihtout hearing protection when it is available? Why would you tolerate recoil pain when there is no need? Think about it.

CaCrusin

WolfMansDad
08-10-2006, 10:01 AM
For me, how I hold the shotgun determines how much recoil I feel. If I get sloppy and chicken-wing (raise my right elbow), recoil gets irritating even with my 20 gauge. As long as I keep good form - buttstock in deep in the shoulder pocket, good cheek weld, etc. - I have yet to shoot anything that really bothered me.

Postition also matters.

Standing: Not too bad with any load, if you keep good form.

Prone: I almost never notice recoil, no matter what I'm shooting. (Rifles, that is. Never shot a shotgun prone.)

Bench rest: Nothing is fun. I once got bruised by a .223 benchrested. As for slugs, a dozen 12 gauge hunting slugs off the bench, and I'm done for the day!

I also recently discovered that hand position matters a lot with a pistol. With high thumbs, I find everything up to .45acp pleasant and easy to control. With low thumbs, 9mm is my comfort limit.

stickman
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I have noticed that a pistol grip on a shotgun really helps recoil issues on the shoulder. Not sure if people are using the factory stocks or have switched them...

Brian

five.five-six
08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I have a m77 all weather in .300wm... at 7 pounds, after puting 220 grain bullets through it, nothing else seems to bother me much.. my wife weighs about 120 lbs and loves shooting 3" slugs out of my 18.5" pump.. she is not all that conserned with hitting anything, she just likes being tossed around.....good for me :rolleyes:

Pokey
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Well I got a double barrel 12 gauge waiting in dros.

I've shot my FN TPS (m4 telescopic stock) with 3" Magnum slugs.... its bearable... I want to try double barreling 2 shots of buck. :D

If its a double trigger SxS be carefull of your ring finger when you squeeze both. I have nasty old double that has broken ring fingers on two different friends by the trigger guard nailing the finger (I'm sure it was a matter of not holding right).
Good luck

VeryCoolCat
08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
If its a double trigger SxS be carefull of your ring finger when you squeeze both. I have nasty old double that has broken ring fingers on two different friends by the trigger guard nailing the finger (I'm sure it was a matter of not holding right).
Good luck

The double has a stock. If I can shoot 3" mag slugs from a FN TPS with an M4 plastic stock i think I can handle the double.

JOEKILLA
08-10-2006, 3:44 PM
I have a Knoxx SpecOps on my 870. It's my first shotgun and all I shot with it are slugs. I only shot about 30 rounds but that's because that was all I had.

The kick was still there but not as bad as shooting slugs with my friends 590.

:)

M. Sage
08-10-2006, 7:04 PM
@ Wolfman's Dad: I've noticed that the position you shoot from and your form matter a lot. Like you said, standing is a lot easier on your shoulder than sitting at a bench.

And... I'll say that recoil is one of those things that you can get used to. I definitely think that it's something you can acclimate to (up to a point, anyway). I shoot my 91/30 right-handed and it's no big deal. My right shoulder's not caring. When I shoot off-hand, though... I didn't try shooting long guns off-hand till this year, I'm fairly sure my form isn't horrible enough to make a huge difference, but the first time I shot a lot off-hand with my Mosin, my right shoulder took about 100 hits to my left shoulder's 15 or so... and the left hurt worse.

Socal858
08-10-2006, 9:37 PM
Being in the recoil-reduction business, I find this whole thread fascinating. All of you are talking about how well you tolerate pain and injury. The "I can handle more recoil than you!" comments will come next. Personnally, I hate recoil. I love to shoot and recoil, and the fatique and discomfort that comes with it, reduce that enjoyment. I like big guns like my .375 H&H, but buying a new scope and sighting it in convinced me that benchrest shooting a .375 is to be avoided.

Once I got a Knoxx Rifle CompStock, I found that I could shoot the .375 like my old .270 Winchester and now run through 50 or 60 rounds at a time. My reloading bill is huge. Same with my shotguns. It's not that I can't tolerate the pain, I simply choose not to.

Answer me this: Why would you drive a car with a solid suspension when springs and shocks are available? Why would you shoot wihtout hearing protection when it is available? Why would you tolerate recoil pain when there is no need? Think about it.

CaCrusin

if knox would make a pistol grip stock for the benelli supernova i would be on it like hobos on chicken nuggets

CaCrusin
08-11-2006, 8:20 AM
if knoxx would make a pistol grip stock for the benelli supernova i would be on it like hobos on chicken nuggets

We have something new for the Benelli guns and most of the other semi-autos. It is called the RSF or Recoil Suppression Forend. It takes ALL (yes, I mean ALL) of the felt recoil out of the gun. It will be introduced later this year. I have tested it and it works. I held the shotgun (an 11-87) two inches from my shoulder and fired a magazine tube full of magnum slugs without so much as a bump and with no loss of control. You are gonna' love this!

CaCrusin

magmaster
08-11-2006, 3:28 PM
When I bought my Nova shotgun I was told that I was crazy. Its chambered to shoot up to 3 1/2 and since the shotgun is so light it would "kick like a mule". I am 6'3" and 260 pounds so when I shot some 3 1/2 shot I was expecting this huge recoil. Yeah it was tough but not worse than a 300 win mag. Some people just can't handle heavy recoil, and some can.

bonjing
08-11-2006, 3:30 PM
i have seen a person fall flat on their butt from the recoil of a shotgun :D . a hell of a sight to see :D :p it was a fist time shooter though.

CalNRA
08-11-2006, 3:36 PM

CaCrusin

what if for some us we don't consider shotty recoil any where near "pain"? I have never been injured shooting guns.

sure you can have all these recoil-reducing gadgets, but then a 220 dollar mossberg will become a 400 dollar mossberg, and if it works, why exagerate the effect and convince yourself that you "need" the extra gear to shoot well?

I think you answered your own comment, since you are in the recoil reduction business, it is in your interest that the rest of us WANT recoil reduction or else you won't have a job. Kinda like a garbage man would hate to hear people say "we will reduce our waste production and take it to the collection center on our way to work".

But some of us don't need it, it has nothing to do with showing off how much we can tolerate, um "pain and injury", from a 12 gauge shotgun that our parents and grandparents hae shot for decades. Now get people too comfy shooiting reduced recoil shotguns, hand them a stock pump and and they won't be so happy.

would I drive a car with no suspension? you bet if the roads are smooth enough and I feel no discomfort, as long as the rigid car is cheaper than the suspension-equipped car.. That's why a lot of people ride rigid harleys. shocks wear out over time and are expensive to replace, and having worn out suspension is dangerous since you will loose control over moderately rolling ground. if you don't believe me, take a 1979 Ford LTD with worn out shocks and drive on highway 880 near Oakland or on Highway 9 and tell me that you feel confident. All the body roll...

Socal858
08-11-2006, 5:17 PM
We have something new for the Benelli guns and most of the other semi-autos. It is called the RSF or Recoil Suppression Forend. It takes ALL (yes, I mean ALL) of the felt recoil out of the gun. It will be introduced later this year. I have tested it and it works. I held the shotgun (an 11-87) two inches from my shoulder and fired a magazine tube full of magnum slugs without so much as a bump and with no loss of control. You are gonna' love this!

CaCrusin

are you talkin about the benelli pumps or semi autos? im talking about the supernova tactical pump

M. Sage
08-11-2006, 7:32 PM
if you don't believe me, take a 1979 Ford LTD with worn out shocks and drive on highway 880 near Oakland or on Highway 9 and tell me that you feel confident. All the body roll...

Seen that on that stretch in Oakland (was actually a Ford, too, but not a '79 LTD). The car was almost leaving the ground.

His car analogy also put me in mind of people modifying their cars... For looks, you get the 20"+ wheels that make cars ride, accelerate and handle like crap. For performance, stiff suspension that makes you think there aren't springs under you.

Eh, different people have different comfort levels. My wife doesn't like shotguns that are full-recoil, but I'm fine. Maybe if I was 20 lbs lighter, I might change my mind.

Pokey
08-14-2006, 3:17 PM
The double has a stock. If I can shoot 3" mag slugs from a FN TPS with an M4 plastic stock i think I can handle the double.
This one does too (with a steel butt plate no less). I wasn't saying you couldn't handle it just giving a heads up. If you like recoil we should hook up so you can shoot my ugly SOB of a SxS.:D

chiefcrash
08-14-2006, 3:47 PM
i remember when i was a wee little boy scout at scout camp...

they had a shotgun shooting merit badge class...

i got to go first 'cause everyone else was scared of the big bad 12 gauge...

:D

ivanimal
08-14-2006, 5:10 PM
I became recoil consious when I tried the 3-1/2" slugs. I also remember having an unforgetable experience with a SXS and both triggers going off at the same time. I also switched from right to left hand 2 years ago and had issues holding a shotgun from that side. There was some pain involved in that as well. I am 6-3 280 so I dont usually feel the bang too much.

Pokey
08-15-2006, 3:32 PM
I became recoil consious when I tried the 3-1/2" slugs. I also remember having an unforgetable experience with a SXS and both triggers going off at the same time. I also switched from right to left hand 2 years ago and had issues holding a shotgun from that side. There was some pain involved in that as well. I am 6-3 280 so I dont usually feel the bang too much.

Both triggers were the cause of the 2 broken fingers that I mentioned above.

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 6:02 PM
Both triggers were the cause of the 2 broken fingers that I mentioned above.

I read that. That is what reminded me of my painful lesson.:mad:

Pokey
08-16-2006, 9:32 AM
Sorry for the reminder.:(

Dr. T
08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm an old fart, and therefore (?) don't mind admitting that I'll try that new Knoxx recoil suppressor when it becomes available for the Benelli. I'm prone to tendinitis/bursitis in the shoulder, and don't want to have more steroid shots in them than absolutely necessary.

Grakken
08-27-2006, 3:18 PM
IMO the recoil felt is determined on how you are holding the weapon. I remember one handing (simulating being shot in one arm) the Mossberg 590 with slugs. Recoil never hurt and i never had bruises unlike some of the other guys in my platoon. I guess it is all about holding her tight.

FatKatMatt
09-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I was shooting my Dad's .338 ultra mag and the recoil wasn't too bad, and it really didn't punish my shoulder when I held it right. People just find a reason to whine about something.

laabstract
09-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Im a little guy 5"7' and 135 pounds and i can shoot my mossy 500 all days with slugs. I also am known to shoot a couple hundred rounds out of my M44.

I really do think its all in the way you hold the gun. When my friends go shooting with me they usualy last only a couple rounds with each.

blkA4alb
09-03-2006, 1:25 AM
Me too man me too. I'm only 3' 50 pounds and fire 5" ultra-bigger magnum slugs. Not all day, all night. I also like to fire at least a brick of 120mm anti-tank rounds......prone. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(I hope none of you took that seriously.)

NwG
09-17-2006, 2:52 AM
"Being in the recoil-reduction business, I find this whole thread fascinating. All of you are talking about how well you tolerate pain and injury. The "I can handle more recoil than you!" comments will come next"

People who know how to handle a shotgun properly don't feel and pain or injury.. There is nothing manly about it. I have found that it is usually new shooters who worry or ***** about recoil. You hear it all the time.. "how much does that think kick?" Which usually gets the responce something like "Umm.. Don't know.. Havent thought about it in awhile.."

I can understand your post from a business point of view.. But you must realize that many people think most of these products are a joke.. I would never put one of those plastic springy-levermatic things on my shotgun.. I can just see the thing fold when one must butt-stroke to clear a malfunction..

But thats just IMO:)

anotherted
09-17-2006, 8:51 AM
I was shooting my Dad's .338 ultra mag and the recoil wasn't too bad, and it really didn't punish my shoulder when I held it right. People just find a reason to whine about something.

Ahhh ha ha.......

LeoC
09-17-2006, 9:36 AM
People who know how to handle a shotgun properly don't feel and pain or injury.. There is nothing manly about it. I have found that it is usually new shooters who worry or ***** about recoil. You hear it all the time.. "how much does that think kick?" Which usually gets the responce something like "Umm.. Don't know.. Havent thought about it in awhile.."

I can understand your post from a business point of view.. But you must realize that many people think most of these products are a joke.. I would never put one of those plastic springy-levermatic things on my shotgun.. I can just see the thing fold when one must butt-stroke to clear a malfunction..

But thats just IMO:)
In total agreement with NwG. Those Knoxx recoil-reducing stocks are marketed to PDs to address a training deficiency :mad: It's not a macho thing at all, its a technique thing. If a shooter is taught how to properly mount and shoulder a shotgun, recoil is not a problem. If the shooter IMproperly shoulders the shotgun, the mere mention of the word "slug" will cause cringing, and perhaps even tears :p

If shooting 12ga slugs hurts, you need to get training. If you got 'trained' and it still hurts, you need to get a real trainer.

mblat
09-17-2006, 10:18 AM
In total agreement with NwG. Those Knoxx recoil-reducing stocks are marketed to PDs to address a training deficiency :mad: It's not a macho thing at all, its a technique thing. If a shooter is taught how to properly mount and shoulder a shotgun, recoil is not a problem. If the shooter IMproperly shoulders the shotgun, the mere mention of the word "slug" will cause cringing, and perhaps even tears :p

If shooting 12ga slugs hurts, you need to get training. If you got 'trained' and it still hurts, you need to get a real trainer.

You are right, of cause.... But then one can say that reason for the proliferation of the automatic transmissions is luck of training on how to use manual.
Point is that Knox stocks DO reduce recoil.
Argument that one shouldn’t just train and after while he won’t have to worry about recoil is wonderful one. It is perfectly valid for LE and military. But how does 110 pounds women (who wants to learn how to shoot SG in self-defense situation) suppose to handle initial blasts that surely will be painful? You are not telling you wife – “learn how to drive stick, *****?”, are you?

NwG
09-17-2006, 4:34 PM
"But how does 110 pounds women (who wants to learn how to shoot SG in self-defense situation) suppose to handle initial blasts that surely will be painful?"

Teach her the proper way to handle a shotgun.. With correct training You can reduce to felt recoil to almost nothing.. Maybe on par with a .223.. Muzzle rise is also greatly reduced..

Don't get me wrong.. If you wish to use aftermarket springy-levermatic and other products by all means do it! But may I suggest you save your money and take a class.. You will learn ways to use a shotgun you never thought was possable. (on any weapon for that matter) If you still think you need such products, go for it!

M. Sage
09-17-2006, 4:53 PM
Umm, you're not going to reduce felt recoil of a shotgun to .223 levels.. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

But I agree with you that, if you shoot with proper form, MOST shotguns shouldn't hurt to shoot. Most long guns, period, up to a certain point...

NwG
09-17-2006, 5:50 PM
Umm, you're not going to reduce felt recoil of a shotgun to .223 levels.. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Ya, that may have been a little too much.. But I think I got my point across that proper methods will work to the point where the shooter will not even think about the recoil..

One of the shotgun methods I use the but of the gun is not even in the pocket , rather over the sholder. (very close combat) Without proper recoil reduction methods you basicly punch yourself in the face:( But everyone in the class, including a 4'10" 120lbs guy had no problems with it at all.. Really a very fast way to bring the weapon to point and fire at a range of less than 3 feet..