View Full Version : Clear Spot 4G+

01-09-2011, 2:20 PM
Here is the scenario. I rent and the DSL is included. My roomie has the slowest DSL package available. They will not upgrade or switch to cable. I don't want to run my own wired service into the house at this point. Yet they think they can watch You Tube and Run NetFlix through the Wii all day and night. I'm over it. I basically surf the web and watch some streaming media. I have a VZW 3G account and there service plans for air cards seems a bit redonkulous and the data usage is limited. I see the Clear Spot will roll back to 3g and they have unlimited usage plans. Anybody givin Clear Spot a try or is this still a faily new concept?

01-11-2011, 10:57 AM

01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
It would be cheaper for you to pay the difference yourself for upgraded dsl

01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
It would be cheaper for you to pay the difference yourself for upgraded dsl

Another thing to do would be to setup QoS on the router so that web traffic has priority.

01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
If you currently have or had a Clear Spot in the past please chime in. Thanks!

01-13-2011, 4:27 PM
I have the clear iSpot, which is the same device but is mac address restricted to only work with iphone, ipod and ipad. It does not have the ability to use 3G, 4G only. When i bought it last december, i had it sent it to my parents house in Visalia, to test it out, the Clear/Sprint 4G had not yet rolled out in the bay area. Performance was great; when i could get a signal. Their neighbourhood had very spotty service, but down the street next to an onion field; full signal strength, go figure. I tried in in a few of my friends houses, indoor performance was weak, but outside or by a window I could usually get better reception. Speeds were fast, between 3-6Mbps download, and the upload rate seemed to hover right around 1.0Mbps consistently(tested with speedtest.net app).

For comparison, i was in the D.C. area for a week. Indoor performance seemed much better there. I could get 1 bar of signal in a basement, whereas my AT&T phone had no service at all. The device being completely usable on 1 bar.

I suspended my service when i got back home not knowing service here had become available, but i live in morgan hill, just outside of the service area, so i'm gonna hold out for awhile until they offer it here.

Check the coverage maps for 4G WiMax. The iSpots w/3G only offer it limited to 5GB/month, 4G is unlimited data. I would think it would only be worth it if you could get a good 4G signal in your home.